Forums > Photography Talk > List of THE Playboy Photographers

Photographer

amy coe

Clatskanie, Oregon, US

I have tried the search function, but the answers are too broad.

I know that Playboy has a certain list of photographers that they regularly use.  Since I happen to be a girl, I don't really read Playboy all that much.  (Guess it's time to change that!)

Recently, I have had a LOT of interest in my intimate portrait sessions.  I would love to study what these photographers have done and if I had a list it would be so very helpful.  I just want to make the best that I can, and if I wanna do that, I gotta study the best.

Who knows, maybe one day I will make it to that list myself....hey, it never hurts to dream.

Jan 23 08 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Jarmo Pohjaniemi. He is on MM. His number is #286536.

Jan 23 08 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Jan 23 08 12:09 am Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

The three honcos are Arny Freytag, Stephen Wayda, (both main - centrefold) & Jarmo Pohjaniemi. (SE/main centrefold on ocassion)

There are other contributors, who are published in moderate or minimal basis in web and/or print.

Jan 23 08 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Phun Fotography

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

looks like the magic 11 to me..

Jan 23 08 12:12 am Link

Retoucher

Brian Avelino

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Christopher Wright wrote:
Here is a list of some of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P … tographers

Serious... I wonder how they did it.
Think they answer random eMails?

Jan 23 08 12:14 am Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

IMMORTAL INTERACTIVE wrote:

Serious... I wonder how they did it.
Think they answer random eMails?

yes.

Jan 23 08 12:15 am Link

Photographer

PDB Imagery

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Start by doing some submissions ... you never know until you try.

Jan 23 08 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Subscribe to Playboy online, tons of downloadable stuff.  I've collected 12 yrs of centerfolds recently, to have and share with models for wardrobe, styling ideas...IF they want "the look"
   Learning such (centerfold)  lighting is however another topic, graduate level stuff....

The 50th anniv Playmate dvd has profiles on 3 princilple photogs, with really cool videos of centerfold prep, shoots.

I's suggest you look up Mark Daugn, used to shoot Playmates, yet his style is FAR better for boidior looks....he teaches at times..and I really love the moody, artistic looks he creates. Only wish I could afford his workshop. Or shoot such models more frequently.

He's here at MM.

Jan 23 08 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Kristina J

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm a Playboy photographer, alas I only shot for the Croatian edition of Playboy and only reportage and travel type stuff.

They would probably never let me nowhere near their centrefolds shoots. big_smile (and rightly so...)

Jan 23 08 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

Nikki Chan (MM #128157) does events and such. She did the playboy golf event last few years among other stuff.

Jan 23 08 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've shot over 50 centerfolds and a few hundred editorials, calendars, covers & ads for Playboy throughout my career.

KM

Jan 23 08 12:53 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I've shot over 50 centerfolds and a few hundred editorials, calendars, covers & ads for Playboy throughout my career.

KM

I was about to say Ken Marcus, but he saved me the trouble of finding his MM number!

He also makes some great videos on shooting nudes, but maybe I'm dating myself.

Jan 23 08 01:08 am Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

amy coe wrote:
I have tried the search function, but the answers are too broad.

I know that Playboy has a certain list of photographers that they regularly use.  Since I happen to be a girl, I don't really read Playboy all that much.  (Guess it's time to change that!)

Recently, I have had a LOT of interest in my intimate portrait sessions.  I would love to study what these photographers have done and if I had a list it would be so very helpful.  I just want to make the best that I can, and if I wanna do that, I gotta study the best.

Who knows, maybe one day I will make it to that list myself....hey, it never hurts to dream.

playboy is outmoded. i can't believe people are even still talkng about playboy. even playboy's evil twin "maxim magazine" is becoming outmoded. let's move on people.

Jan 23 08 01:21 am Link

Model

Laura_DeBord

Fresno, California, US

ddtphoto wrote:

playboy is outmoded. i can't believe people are even still talkng about playboy. even playboy's evil twin "maxim magazine" is becoming outmoded. let's move on people.

That's your opinion, not fact.

Jan 23 08 01:24 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

ddtphoto wrote:

move on to what?  suicide girls?

Jan 23 08 02:22 am Link

Photographer

D T Masters

Austin, Texas, US

About the Wikipedia list and the note about the main photographers ..................

................... Suze Randall might not be a main photographer there, but one better believe that Suze Randall is a major ball player.

Jan 23 08 02:45 am Link

Photographer

amy coe

Clatskanie, Oregon, US

Thank you all so much!  Your information is VERY helpful!  EXACTLY what I was looking for! 
best,
amy

Jan 23 08 09:01 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jan 23 08 09:02 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Arny Freytag (LA) staff
Stephen Wayda (LA) staff
George Georgiou (Chicago) staff
Jarmo Pohjaniemi (Miami)
David Rams (Atlanta)
Ric Moore (Dallas)
Mizuno (LA)
Gen Nishino (NY)
Byron Newman (London)
Waldy Martens (Vancouver)
Paul Buceta (Toronto)

i met Jarmo this past weekend...he's a great guy

Jan 23 08 09:05 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:

regardless of your opinion, Playboy (the main magazine) is iconic americana and the standard for beauty in our society. it is the most prestigious publication a glamour/beauty model can be published in.

Jan 23 08 09:08 am Link

Photographer

amy coe

Clatskanie, Oregon, US

Outmoded?

Hm.  In my opinion, Playboy still represents classy nudes.  When you live in Montana Playboy is a little more in tune with what my clients want.  Sure, I like the Suicide Girls for some ideas, but if any woman works up the courage to come to me and take off their clothing, generally speaking they are looking for something that is a little more on the tame side. 

Shit this last weekend some women who do "Passion Parties" told me the pic in my avatar was too sexy.  I was dumbfounded, the only thing I could sputter out was:
"You sell Dildos!" 

Whatever, LOL!
a

Jan 23 08 09:09 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

(thread of interest)

Jan 23 08 09:11 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

KM

Isn't that a bit misleading Ken.  You haven't done fifty Playmate Centerfold spreads and you haven't shot for them for a long time.

Jan 23 08 09:15 am Link

Model

amanda logue

Albany, California, US

I hope one day to be in playboy or penthouse...

Jan 23 08 09:18 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
Arny Freytag (LA)
Stephen Wayda (LA)
Jarmo Pohjaniemi (Miami),
David Rams (Atlanta),
Ric Moore (Dallas),
Mizuno (LA),
Gen Nishino (NY),
Byron Newman (London),
Waldy Martens (Vancouver) and
Paul Buceta (Toronto).

i met Jarmo this past weekend...he's a great guy

Lady Bronze wrote:
The three honcos are Arny Freytag, Stephen Wayda, (both main - centrefold) & Jarmo Pohjaniemi. (SE/main centrefold on ocassion)

You have to distinguish between those who they think of as staff photographers (either as regular employees or contract photographers) and people they buy content from.

Lady Bronze is correct to the extent that they buy a lot of content, in both minimal and moderate amounts from a lot of independent photographers.  These tend to be people who they have established relatioships with over the years and they re-purchase as things come up that they want.

I have been published by Playboy several times, I know of a lot of others here on MM or outside of MM who've also been published.  However, I wouldn't have categorized any of us as "Shooting for Playboy" which is what the original question was.  We are simply people who have worked, and/or continue to work with Playboy.

Doug pretty much has given you a good list of those that would be considered "staff photographers" but there still remain a lot of people who have worked with them at one time or another and will probably work with them again.

Jan 23 08 09:20 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

amanda logue wrote:
I hope one day to be in playboy or penthouse...

Ken Marcus isn't a good resource for Plaboy these days but he is a good resource for Penthouse.

Jan 23 08 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Richard Fegley was always one of my favorites. Alas, he died in 2001.

Jan 23 08 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Isn't that a bit misleading Ken.  You haven't done fifty Playmate Centerfold spreads and you haven't shot for them for a long time.

Actually, according to our bookkeeping records from the 11 years that I shot for them, I was paid for 54 centerfold shoots.

KM

Jan 23 08 09:25 am Link

Model

pretty pleads

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

regardless of your opinion, Playboy (the main magazine) is iconic americana and the standard for beauty in our society. it is the most prestigious publication a glamour/beauty model can be published in.

well said doug
its alot of girls' dream to be in playboy
its tops! smile

Jan 23 08 09:34 am Link

Model

pretty pleads

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Ken Marcus isn't a good resource for Plaboy these days but he is a good resource for Penthouse.

Jan 23 08 09:34 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Actually, according to our bookkeeping records from the 11 years that I shot for them, I was paid for 54 centerfold shoots.

KM

OK, I will believe you.  Do you have a list of the centerfolds you shot?

Jan 23 08 09:37 am Link

Model

Selena St James

KM

WOW! thats a dream of mine to actually shoot for playboy...others think I should pose.

Jan 23 08 09:41 am Link

Model

Brandi Runnels

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont really care how many centerfolds the man has shot, he does excellent work and needed to be highlighted as a photographer associated with playboy.

Jan 23 08 09:52 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Selena J wrote:
...others think I should pose.

And what do you think ? that's what matters smile

Jan 23 08 09:54 am Link

Model

Cafe Society

Houston, Texas, US

Lady Bronze wrote:

yes.

Seriously?

Jan 23 08 09:57 am Link

Model

Cafe Society

Houston, Texas, US

pretty pleads wrote:

well said doug
its alot of girls' dream to be in playboy
its tops! smile

Ditto!

Jan 23 08 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Christopher Wright wrote:
Here is a list of some of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P … tographers

That list is very partial and dated.  David Mecey has broken away to go his own direction and Suze Randall has not been with Playboy for ages. She has been working for Penthouse for as long as I can remember. What the list does not do is distinguish between Playboy and SE/NSS photogs

Jan 23 08 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Shirley...you jest

Jan 23 08 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Don't forget to add all the ones who SAY they have shot for Playboy...*wink*....wink

Jan 23 08 10:15 am Link