Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Blurry faces because of makeup?

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

I asked but he said he doesn't give out RAW files.  I thought about asking him to maybe give me a link where I could see them without being able to download them.  But he seemed angry that I asked to see the unedited images so I didn't want to ask again.

maybe because his shots are super ugly. lol if he was a professional then he would understand that it's not uncommon to show the makeup artist the raw image since many times it is the raw image that they would need to use for their book to show off their work.

Jan 23 08 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

robm

Portland, Oregon, US

We call that effect "clown puke" because they photoshopped the hell out of it. "Blurry" and "out of focus" are two different things.

It sounds to me like that photographer needs to hire someone else to do his post production. If you're a make up artist, I'd ask him for photos that showed your work, not his photoshop work. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Jan 23 08 01:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

How is his work overall in the rest of his port? Do you see a history of over shopping a pic? Just curious if that is really the root of all this, which would then just take him to admit it to himself and find another way to retouch the set! Geez, to blame the makeup for being blurry is ridiculous.

Jan 23 08 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

kevbailey

Hemet, California, US

OK.  You'all are totally missing the obvious reason.   It never used to happen with film, so it MUST be a digital issue!   

Seriously,  this is probably the funniest thread I've seen on here!   

thank you'all for making my day a little brighter

Jan 23 08 01:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

ya totally I love this thread it is making me laugh!!

Jan 23 08 01:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

lol im freakin back in giggle fits. this will take a long time to forget. haha

Jan 23 08 01:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer Denise

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sounds photoshopped. 

Or, if this was a full body shot, he didn't do the whole focus the eyes before moving the camera thing I have seen a few photographers so. 

I worked with a photographer once, not on MM, and it was full body stuff.  I was NOT impressed at all with him, mostly from his professionalism.  My hunch that he was a typical GWC was verified, when he showed me images directly on the camera, and half of it was blurry.  Literally.  He tried to speed through to the ones in focus, but alas, it was discovered.

That, or the model was a vampire.

Jan 23 08 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Caity B

Bangor, Maine, US

Send him the thread!

Or... y'know... don't burn the bridge... yeah... that's the sensible one...

Jan 23 08 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

I'm just wondering if this is a simple miscommunication.

I've never heard of makeup causing a image to be blurry, but I ask MUA's to avoid foundations with titanium dioxide in them because when using strobes it sometimes causes areas of the skin to be blown out or blotchy due to its' photo reflective nature.

Glitter can sometimes also drive a photographer to distraction when you are trying to do retouching and a bit of glitter ends up needed to be cloned out.

I had one model have a really bad reaction to a certain brand of eye makeup, which caused her to tear excessively, it might of made her vision blurry but in the  images from that shoot her eyes look great, not sure if that was caused by the extra moisture in her eyes.

Now makeup causing out of focus images, no never heard of that.

See:
http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=248

Jan 23 08 01:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

KatAragon wrote:
How is his work overall in the rest of his port? Do you see a history of over shopping a pic? Just curious if that is really the root of all this, which would then just take him to admit it to himself and find another way to retouch the set! Geez, to blame the makeup for being blurry is ridiculous.

What I don't understand about his work though, is that he does what looks like a lot of retouch work on faces.  But when I click the link to other makeup artists he's worked with, they do good work.   

His work isn't bad. The small versions look good.  But then when you click on them to see the larger size they look a bit off.

Jan 23 08 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene Photo

Huntington Beach, California, US

LMAO
This is classic!
I don't know what's funnier... the retarded photographer who made that claim or folks who actually believe it!

Jan 23 08 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

I asked but he said he doesn't give out RAW files.  I thought about asking him to maybe give me a link where I could see them without being able to download them.  But he seemed angry that I asked to see the unedited images so I didn't want to ask again.

did he at least pay you?

Jan 23 08 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

SHGfoto- Stefhan Gordon

Venice, California, US

Doesn't MAC now make a blurry foundation?  wink

Jan 23 08 05:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

SHGfoto- Stefhan Gordon wrote:
Doesn't MAC now make a blurry foundation?  wink

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Omg I can believe this thread, this one still has me giggling!!smile

Jan 23 08 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Wow that was awesome!! Talk about a dense photog that would use that excuse!

Jan 23 08 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Is it possible that skin can be so smooth that the AF can't get a good lock on the detail?

If the eye is used as it is supposed to be, this wouldn't be an issue.

Jan 23 08 05:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

A photographer just told me that it's more likely a PS issue.  Because the eyes look "flat" as well.

I just don't understand why the agent would believe this.

Don't they spend a lot of time looking at pics?

Jan 23 08 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Thuy Anh wrote:

maybe because his shots are super ugly. lol if he was a professional then he would understand that it's not uncommon to show the makeup artist the raw image since many times it is the raw image that they would need to use for their book to show off their work.

I don't know about that Thuy, seems to me it'd be better for the mua to receive a retouched completed image. We could only imagine alot of raw files with no retouch help running amuck in folders. Between creases in the face, bumps, lighting ands splotches that doesn't seem like a good idea either. Well... at least that's not what i've heard was good to do.

OP
If you get a retouched picture send it to someone who is knowledable so they can tell you if it's salvagable or not. That's about all you can do if it wasn't TFP.

Jan 23 08 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
A photographer just told me that it's more likely a PS issue.  Because the eyes look "flat" as well.

Is the photographer "well known"?  Maybe he was having an off day with the PS

Jan 23 08 05:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Elliot

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

*dies laughing* lol

If you get the chance, show us the end results. I gotta see this!

Jan 23 08 05:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Jessica Elliot wrote:
*dies laughing* lol

If you get the chance, show us the end results. I gotta see this!

You and me both I want to know what happens so badly !!

Jan 23 08 05:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Verity F

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

wait? the models agent believes it was your makeup that caused the blur?

Jan 23 08 05:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Szilvia

Malmö, Skåne, Sweden

Shees.. there's a first for everything!

I'm speechless.

Jan 23 08 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

can i get a

B.S

Jan 23 08 05:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

VALERIE FOWLERcityfaces

San Diego, California, US

I used to use that blur effect make-up, but the photos kept coming back in focus!

Jan 23 08 05:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Please PM me a link to the photos as well.  I want to have some fun too!

Jan 23 08 06:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

VALERIE FOWLERcityfaces wrote:
I used to use that blur effect make-up, but the photos kept coming back in focus!

hahahahahahahahahahaha this is my favorite thread today by far!!!

Jan 23 08 06:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Todd homme MUA and Hair

New York, New York, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I was told that makeup can cause the faces in a photo to be blurry.  It sounds odd to me. 

I don't know much about photography, but I would think lighting and focus is what causes faces in photos to be blurry.

Is it possible for makeup to cause faces in photos to be blurry if the rest of the photo is sharp?

Is this just an excuse by the photographer to save his rep?

OOOooo I dont think sooo I know some airbrush makeup formula's can blur out wrinkles...but not the face.

Jan 24 08 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I was told that makeup can cause the faces in a photo to be blurry.  It sounds odd to me. 

I don't know much about photography, but I would think lighting and focus is what causes faces in photos to be blurry.

Is it possible for makeup to cause faces in photos to be blurry if the rest of the photo is sharp?

He would have been better off saying, "Um... uh.... yea I meant for it to look like that!" lol!

Rich

Jan 24 08 06:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

oh boy. 

excuses excuses - if you ask me.

what kind of agency is this model going to?  was this a photographer that works mostly with that agency??  sometimes they save face that way..i GUESS....bad excuse for not knowing how to focus properly.

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

Jan 24 08 09:05 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Or he has a heavy hand with Photoshop and the blur filter

Jan 24 08 09:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Townes

New York, New York, US

Gina Cicero wrote:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Omg I can believe this thread, this one still has me giggling!!smile

That's Hilarious!!!!!

Every MAChead will be rushing out to go get it....lol

Jan 24 08 11:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Townes

New York, New York, US

ROTF LMAO!!!!!
Love it!!

Jan 24 08 11:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Margoux Le Roux

Washington, District of Columbia, US

LMAO...lol

Jan 24 08 11:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gina Cicero

Beauty Marque wrote:

That's Hilarious!!!!!

Every MAChead will be rushing out to go get it....lol

Totally, mac will get all these mua's running to the counter asking....yes excuse me but do you guys carry any make up that shows up blurry in photographs big_smile
hahahahahahahahahahahaa some photogs man!!

Jan 24 08 11:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

tell him to call you when hes clean and sober

Jan 24 08 12:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hmm I think this guy is way off, perhaps he dosent know how to use his camera. , Make-up doesnt asue the face to become blurry...... thats just a stupid excuse for his lack of ability....

Jan 24 08 01:00 pm Link