Forums > General Industry > photography contests?

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Just wondering if any photographers or models have ever been to one of those contests such as Bikini Jam or Supermodel Sports and such, where you travel to a really cool place to shoot for a week and get a chance to win cash prizes? 

If so, I would like your input.

Was it fun?  Was it worth your time and money?  Are the judges bias?  Did it seem like work?  Did you win anything?  Did you get anything out of it at all? 

And the most important question... were there alot of hot chicks?

Every time I get an email or phone call from these people inviting me out and offering me discounts, I want to say yes and always end up saying no.  I mean, I need a vacation and it sounds great, but then again, it sounds like alot of work.

I want to see how I rank with other professional photographers around the world, but then again, I feel like I don't have to.  *shrugs*

Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate.  I hate spending money.

Bikini Jam is coming up in September!!

Jun 05 05 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

I've never done one but it sounds like fun.  The thing that bothers me though is there's a lot of talk about being "featured" in their catalog, website etc. but no mention of copyrights, usage license or compensation.  Being the sceptic that I am, it sounds to me like a way for them to get all kinds of free content which bugs me.  If they like my stuff enough to use it, I better be compensated for it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they required you to sign away all kinds of rights in order to particpate.  They just don't have enough info on the website to make me comfortable.  I'm not interested in "paying for exposure" when the people I'm paying are using the content for their own benefit as well.

Jun 05 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Just wondering if any photographers or models have ever been to one of those contests such as Bikini Jam or Supermodel Sports and such, where you travel to a really cool place to shoot for a week and get a chance to win cash prizes? 

If so, I would like your input.

Was it fun?  Was it worth your time and money?  Are the judges bias?  Did it seem like work?  Did you win anything?  Did you get anything out of it at all? 

And the most important question... were there alot of hot chicks?

Every time I get an email or phone call from these people inviting me out and offering me discounts, I want to say yes and always end up saying no.  I mean, I need a vacation and it sounds great, but then again, it sounds like alot of work.

I want to see how I rank with other professional photographers around the world, but then again, I feel like I don't have to.  *shrugs*

Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate.  I hate spending money.

Bikini Jam is coming up in September!!

Dude I thought you were booked for the year, how can you make any? LOL!

Jun 05 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 

How can I make any what?

Jun 05 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 
Being the sceptic that I am, it sounds to me like a way for them to get all kinds of free content which bugs me.

free nothing....joey looks like he'd like to pay them for the opportunity...nice way to build a catalog..have the  photographers finance it...

the Ujena folks contacted me about 5 months ago..i sent them my day rates for catalog work...

Jun 05 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I was a part of a contest just yesterday. It was at my studio. If I remember correctly it was called the - WHICH MODEL WILL MODEL THE HOTTEST FOR ME! - contest. There are a couple of the contestants on my Bio page.  You be the judge. 

Jun 05 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
free nothing....joey looks like he'd like to pay them for the opportunity...nice way to build a catalog..have the  photographers finance it...

I get your point, but that wasn't the question.

Jun 05 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

I get your point, but that wasn't the question.

the point is it sounds like fun..cabo..bikinis..how could it not be fun..but the underliying objective to procure talent for free is kinda unethical..but i have faith in the GWCs however..that ujena will have a catalog next year...

Jun 05 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
the point is it sounds like fun..cabo..bikinis..how could it not be fun..but the underliying objective to procure talent for free is kinda unethical..but i have faith in the GWCs however..that ujena will have a catalog next year...

The thing is, is that I see PAYING reputable photographers and models enter every year, so it makes me curious.  You know?

I'm curious about what lured them into it.  Was it worth it to them?  Everything stated in the original post, etc etc.

I mean, you're promoting yourself and promotions is part of expanding your business, isn't it?  Promoting costs money.  Call it an investment. I didn't get to where I'm at now by talking shit on the messageboards.

Jun 05 05 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

The thing is, is that I see PAYING reputable photographers and models enter every year, so it makes me curious.  You know?
I'm curious about what lured them into it.  Was it worth it to them?  Everything stated in the original post, etc etc.

you obviously didn't get the email from cassandra..that i did...

Jun 05 05 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Cassandra who?

Jun 05 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

I didn't get to where I'm at now by talking shit on the messageboards.

there is still a whispering question as to "where you are" at this point smile

Jun 05 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Cassandra who?

cassandra M. shes one of the models that landed a gig with ujena in the marketing dept..and yes..cassandra is hot..and knows how to lure photographers..

Jun 05 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
there is still a whispering question as to "where you are" at this point smile

Who cares where people THINK I'm at.  That's just a matter of opinion.  Everyone has thier own agenda.

cassandra M. shes one of the models that landed a gig with ujena in the marketing dept..and yes..cassandra is hot..and knows how to lure photographers..

Cassandra Murray?  You see, her and her manager payed to enter.  Her manager is a very good fashion photographer and I knew him since I started photography.

Anyways, yeah she's hot and alluring, but I want to know more about the opportunities of entering.  Do you think it was worth it to them?

God, why am I having this conversation with you?  You never even entered!  lol

Here's a question for you.  Would you sell your soul for reputable tearsheets and no pay?

smile

Jun 05 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

I want to know more about the opportunities of entering.  Do you think it was worth it to them?

well ike i said..after looking at everything..i didn't see an opportunity..it just an expensive vacation...

you and i can shoot great looking girls in cabo for a whole hell of a lot less then if we paid ujena...

so get us a couple of rooms down there, we can each bring some girls and we'll burn up a couple of lenses...

Jun 05 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
you and i can shoot great looking girls in cabo for a whole hell of a lot less then if we paid ujena...

So how are the models getting there and how much are the rooms?  lol

Jun 05 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Here's a question for you.  Would you sell your soul for reputable tearsheets and no pay?

not these days..i've been getting national tears ..a year ago..who knows..

Jun 05 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

So how are the models getting there and how much are the rooms?  lol

just tell em you'll be TFPing in cabo..i am sure we'll both have enough to shoot...

Jun 05 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Getting your images published in FHM for 20 Hot Dates and Maxim for Hometown Hotties means signing over your copyrights to the models with no photographer credits.

Do you think it's worth the investment?

Jun 05 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Getting your images published in FHM for 20 Hot Dates and Maxim for Hometown Hotties means signing over your copyrights to the models.

well, not sure i consider those tears as much as photo credits..i will tell you i have been hired by models that want to be in those magazines cause i have a great track record..
so signing a release that allows FHM and Maxim use, has worked for me...

Jun 05 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
well, not sure i consider those tears as much as photo credits..i will tell you i have been hired by models that want to be in those magazines cause i have a great track record..

Oh come on now Doug, I thought you were better than that.  You are getting off track and now starting to brag about your achievements like the other elitist dickwads on this site.

Don't be like them.

smile

Jun 05 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Oh come on now Doug, I thought you were better than that.  You are getting off track and now starting to brag about your achievements like the other elitist dickwads on this site.
Don't be like them.smile

dont ever jump to conclusion that im above being an elitist dickwad..

Jun 05 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

A good friend of mine was involved with the Ujena Bikini Jam years ago and I was told of all the inside garbage.

I had a pic published in one of their mags, no credit of course. I also was published in their 1993 Ujena International Eastern (poster) Calendar. The model and I had to pay to enter the pics (slides). When we were notified one was going to be on the calendar we also had to pay for every single calendar we ordered, not even one was offered as a freebie even when we had to pay an entry fee.

Anything you do at all with them will cost you and to go and compete in the Bikini Jam will cost you big time and the model must pay also. They have various competitions during the Bikini Jam, you must pay to enter each one, if you don't enter them all you don't have a chance at anything.
The stories over the years can fill a book.

Back in the 90's they started a new gimmick where you could become an "Official Ujena Photog & Scout". It was in their mags and they sent me an "invitation" LOL! "Anyone" could be one and if you were one of the first to signup your "fee" was greatly discounted down from $1200(1500?) to the bargain price of only $900. Well I'm sad to say I missed out on this wonderful opportunity.
What? You say it's still being offered at only $2000.99 after all this time? Let me find my check book!

Ujena hires no photographers.

Jun 05 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
dont ever jump to conclusion that im above being an elitist dickwad..

Okay, just making sure.

wink

For a minute there, it kind of sounded like you were.  Not ABOVE being one, just being one.

Jun 05 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Gary, thanks for the info.  This is exactly the type of input that I wanted to hear.

Jun 05 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There are a handful of reputable contests in the world, some very prestigious that can launch or elevate a career. Those few legit ones will only want rights for promotion of the contest itself, or else like the MILK contest will have serious prize money, $100,000 first prize last I knew. But aside from those few almost all contests are there for the purpose of building no cost stock libraries of wholley owned content, and even getting suckers to pay for it. And they do nothing for you. They should be killed. Ujena sounds like they should definitely be killed.

Jun 05 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 
A good friend of mine was involved with the Ujena Bikini Jam years ago and I was told of all the inside garbage...

Wow, that sounds even worse than I feared.  After paying over $600 to get into the whole thing, you still have to pay to enter individual contests??  Sounding more and more like one huge scam.
BTW, according to the Ujena website, you also must pay for all your own film and processing.  Even if you shoot digital, you have to submit prints to be judged.  Some contests require that you shoot film, so you have to make sure you have a film body available also.  No photoshoping to save your butt on these smile.

Jun 05 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Gary Davis: 
Some contests require that you shoot film, so you have to make sure you have a film body available also.  No photoshoping to save your butt on these smile.

Another reason why I found interest.  Another reason to dust off the trusty F100.

Jun 05 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Gary Davis: 
Being the sceptic that I am, it sounds to me like a way for them to get all kinds of free content which bugs me.

the Ujena folks contacted me about 5 months ago..i sent them my day rates for catalog work...

I agree,... that is exactly what it is..

Ironic as it is,..I saw the video for that contest that was held a few years ago,... and me and my friend Dan watched the photography and such forth,...and it was pretty much all shot by guys who used on camera flash...either built in pop up flash, or wedding bracket flash...which is O.K. for event photography, but not for swimsuit catalogue images IMPO..  I didn't see any use of scrims, or reflectors, or off camera strobes in a soft box..or what ever.. it was all on camera flash...or no flash at all...just the models standing in open shade in the middle of the day...and some twilight sun times which were o.k.   

There were a couple of scenes where they showed one photographer coming up with an original idea...(which was the guy who won in the end....no brainer)...and he made attempts to make the swimsuit look good with the model wearing it,...and he was just the slickest , most polished personality there....and then,...you can see in the backgrounds,...all these dumb asses with cameras, sneaking pictures from the side...in what appeared to be attempts to get close ups of the model's breasts or ass.. ......just lame.. LOL... and yes, Ujena supplies all the swimwear, and the MUA,...and you pay for the chance to become famous, and shoot as many pictures as you can in a very short period of time, which pretty much enables pop up flash / on camera lighting to begin with..  Heck, if they wanted a "real" catalogue shoot,....and if I were there, I'd make sure it would be done right! ....(quickly doesn't always deliver the best results)..

JP

Jun 05 05 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

How can I make any what?

Time! Hehe!

Jun 05 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Time! Hehe!

It's called PTO from work.

wink

Jun 05 05 11:38 pm Link