Forums > Photography Talk > Who here doesn't shoot with an SLR?

Photographer

Jarod

Malibu, California, US

Curious to know...

Jun 05 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Rangefinder mostly, Leica M6... light, compact, easy to travel with, awesome optics, and being able to see what's around the brightline frame completely changes the way I compose, elements are consciously edited in or out.

Jun 05 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

I use a Panasonic FZ20. It can put out some truly beautiful pictures. I haven't gotten those great pics yet but I have only had it a few months and I am still learning how to use it.

Jun 05 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan Lobb

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: 
Rangefinder mostly, Leica M6... light, compact, easy to travel with, awesome optics, and being able to see what's around the brightline frame completely changes the way I compose, elements are consciously edited in or out.

well arn't you special. :-(  I'd love to have a Leica, but whenver I look at the price I just can't justify it over all the equipment that I actually NEED.  Maybe I should get out of journalism?

Jun 05 05 10:10 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I don't.

Wait.

I don't count, right?

Jun 05 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

Sometimes yes; sometimes no.  Which camera I use depends on what I’m shooting.  My digital is so old digital SLR hadn’t yet been invented.

....Thom

Jun 06 05 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I have a trio of Canonet rangefinders, two 28's and a QL17...They cost me a song and they work great, sharp, quiet and easy to use.  They make a great combination with my HP digital and my toycameras.  I haven't dragged my SLR out in quite a while.

Jun 06 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

i am still shooting with my nikon cp995 which i bought off of ebay cheap.  an slr just isn't in my budget yet.

Jun 06 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I shoot with a Fuji FinePix S7000.

Mike

Jun 06 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

for available darkness shots I tend to use a leica rangefinder.   I have used a 4x5 and would be more than willing to take one off of someone's hands who isn't using theirs!

Jun 06 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

I shoot with and without. I have two rangefinder cameras..two slrs and two TLRs. Overall the one rangefinder is the best bang for the buck. The other rangefinder is the BRICK. If you don't know what the BRICK is..well you aren't missing alot.

Jun 06 05 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I shoot a Sony F717 and an Slr - does that count..

Jun 06 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Newton

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I use a FUJI FINEPIX S7000 for digital but still use SLR's for film.

Jun 06 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Posted by William Herbert: 
I shoot with and without. I have two rangefinder cameras..two slrs and two TLRs. Overall the one rangefinder is the best bang for the buck. The other rangefinder is the BRICK. If you don't know what the BRICK is..well you aren't missing alot.

Tell me you're not talking about the Argus ...

Jun 06 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ambrose

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

woohoo 3 cheers for the fuji s7000 that my baby too, have yet to aford and slr..but soon

Jun 06 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I cleaned out a lot of stuff last year but I've stil got a Yashica 124g, field stripped Speed Graphic, Cambo 4x5 the rest are all slr's - Bronica S2a and S, Canon F1 (the original), Canon 10d and my "new" Zenit E ...

Jun 06 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 

Posted by William Herbert: 

Tell me you're not talking about the Argus ...

Yep, the Argus. It does qualify as a rangefinder..yep. Some might argue if  it qualifies as a camera. LOVELy shutter noise..goes something like this.. TINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG haha

Jun 07 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I just this week got my first digital SLR. Pre digital I was using a Pentax SF1, then since I wasn't sure about digital fully I got a Canon G2, used that three year, liked it a lot, and just last week got a Canon Rebel XT, which gives me an idea for a new forum thread....

Jun 07 05 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have a digital SLR which I've been using most of the time and a manual Vivitar 35mm SLR for film work. My first 35mm was an old fully manual rangefinder my grandpa gave to me. I used to get laughed at by other kids when I used it but it took good pictures. I would like to get my hands on a decent medium format for more professional work.

Jun 07 05 11:56 am Link

Photographer

tedpowerphoto

Toronto, Iowa, US

strictly pinhole and only solarized prints.

Jun 07 05 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Gun

Austin, Texas, US

While I must admit that I've been using a beater Pentax SLR lately, I'm very much a rangefinder guy.  From an Olympus XA through a Graflex 4x5, I have a good range of them.  My Fuji 645 RF was stolen, but I'll find another eventually.

Jun 08 05 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Blanchard

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Konica Hexar RF and Contax G2
I also shoot with expired film from several years gone by, and develop my own stuff.

Jun 08 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Perdomo

Ellicott City, Maryland, US

Posted by Thom Bourgois: 
Sometimes yes; sometimes no.  Which camera I use depends on what I’m shooting.  My digital is so old digital SLR hadn’t yet been invented.

....Thom

Nikon had some DSLR's out back in the 1980's.

The AP and a large part of the press moved over to NC2000's starting in 1992....before consumer digital cameras existed.

You would be surprised at the wierd shit camera companies came up with in the 80's.

Jun 08 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

Depends on the shoot. I have 2 digital SLR's (2) Medium format Bronicas and occasion use a 4x5 view camera.

Michael

Jun 13 05 08:52 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I have a TLR. Two actually...

Jun 13 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Taurus Studios

BRONX, New York, US

I shoot my digitals w/olympus c5060. film canon 300D. I admit I shoot more digital and the olympus works great with my alinebees strobes :-)

Jun 13 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Most of the time I use a Tachihara 4x5 field camera with an ancient lens scavanged off an old Speed Graphic. Other than that I shoot with Hasselblads, a Diana F or Holga.

I only shoot digital for location scouting and casting.

Jun 13 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vince Miller

Bonney Lake, Washington, US

my studio camera choice now is my mamiya 645AFD with digital back or film back

Jun 16 05 04:01 am Link

Photographer

dame

New York, New York, US

i use a rebel, but when it DIED on me, (which i still dont have a good reason for) i had to go back to shooting with my OLYMPUS c-2040 zoom. (2.1 mp)

i had 2 or 3 shoots with it. some of the pics are in my port as we speak. for what i was doing, i made sure i stayed within what i figured my limits were.

i know my DSLR is 400 times better than the other one, but i like to believe that i can shoot with anything. im still in my learning stage, but when i get to a more comfortable level of photography, i will still beleive that its not as much the camera as it is the photog holding it.

dame

Jun 16 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

Posted by dame: 
i use a rebel, but when it DIED on me, (which i still dont have a good reason for) i had to go back to shooting with my OLYMPUS c-2040 zoom. (2.1 mp)

i had 2 or 3 shoots with it. some of the pics are in my port as we speak. for what i was doing, i made sure i stayed within what i figured my limits were.

i know my DSLR is 400 times better than the other one, but i like to believe that i can shoot with anything. im still in my learning stage, but when i get to a more comfortable level of photography, i will still beleive that its not as much the camera as it is the photog holding it.

dame

I shoot mainly with a D100, but also have the Nikon F4, Mamiya C330, and a Toyo G 4x5.. i dont use the F4 much.. but still drag out the mamiya and the 4x5 on occasion.. smile i agree also its not as much the camera as the person using it.. its nothing more than a exstention of our creative ability.. the camera nor the lens will not make a photog great..

chris

Jun 16 05 04:31 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Right now my main workhorse is an Olympus C-7070 (the 7 megapixel version of the C-5060)...  I love it to death...  I'm gonna pick up Digital SLR next month probably...  I'm torn between a canon and another olympus...  I really like the Canons - but their high end SLR's are a bit big and cumbersome for my tastes...  Not to mention the price tag - but I should go ahead and bite the bullet - I know in two months I'm gonna want the latest toy... I'm like the only completely amateur photog that buys cameras on the reg..  To count I have 1 film SLR, and two digital cams...  I think I'm starting to get the hang of this photography stuff!!!  ha ha! 

Jun 16 05 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

i shoot with a konica minolta z2.

Jun 16 05 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Erotique Digitale

Los Angeles, California, US

point and shoot sony for me.

Jun 17 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Ouch My Eye

Seattle, Washington, US

I posted a whole string about my Sony 828...which is an awesome camera. And not a SLR in the conventional sense...
But you are seeing what the sensor sees, which to me makes a ton of sense...in a digital age.
I also use a holga...

Jun 21 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

I'm like the others above... I usually shoot with a film SLR, but occasionally a Fuji S7000 for digital.  And sometimes, if I'm feeling really perverse, a Holga.

Jun 21 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

since this is becoming a "what's in your bag" thread-
I have 2 Nikons, F100 + N90s (which I might sell for dirt if anyone's interested-  just the 90... I'm keeping the 100) A Mamiya 645, C220, A Canon 20D, and a Fuji e550 digital p+s.  I just sold my little Yashica T4 super...everyone love that point and shoot- I hated it. 

I'm pretty much slr across the board-

Justin

Jun 22 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Duck Photography

San Diego, California, US

Sony F-828, Haven't been able to afford an SLR hoping to get one soon. And before anyone brings it up the Canon 350D wasn't released when I bought the Sony.

Jun 22 05 02:43 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

I bought the sony January 2 2004.  At that time, I was unaware of any camera available at 8 megapixel.  My thought was, for 1000 bucks I could have it in my hand that day.

40,000 images later I still love it. 

I had the opportunity to use a friends Nikon last week and it was way cool hearing the mirror and the assortment of lenses.  The way I shop,  I'd leave B&H with 5 grand or so less in my bank account if I went to SLR AND I would have a lot more stuff to drag around.

When shooting in full manual I am totally impressed with the sony technology compared to what I was able to do with the Nikon.

For now,  I'll stick with what works.

Jun 24 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by dame: 

dame

Was it the shutter? They seem to be the first part to go on dRebels.

Jun 24 05 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Currently, I'm using a Nikon D70, with a D100 as a backup.

Before I started doing studio and glamour work, I was using a Nikon F60 (N6006 in the USA) as my last film camera.  Then I switched to a Canon Pro90IS when I started shooting rock band performance photos. 

Jun 24 05 11:31 pm Link