Forums > General Industry > How would you have handled this???

Model

Iris Model and MUA

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by Isi: 
I am coming from a near 3 year modeling run where I have been taken advantage of by many, many photographers

One of my favorite sayings is, "A liberal is a conservative who has never been mugged."

Yes, it's always been a favorite, but misleading and inaccurate obfuscation by those on the right. It's sickening garbage is what it is to be plain about it.

In other words, we are all carefree and liberal until someone screws us over. Then we stand up and say, "Hey! There ought to be laws against this sort of thing!"

There are already laws against whatever things you're probably thinking about.

We're all liberal until we get mugged. Then we become conservative.

See above, it's a lie.

Sadly, Isi has had some very negative modeling experiences in 3 short years. Other models have been doing this for 10 years and nothing negative or shady has ever happened to them. I have worked with plenty of models who have had nothing but positive experiences.

But, we all live our lives and set our expectations and develop our personalities based upon our experiences. Considering how negative some of Isi's experiences have been, her attitude is very understandable in my book.

The only part of her list that will have any bearing on her safety is the requirement to have make up and stylists on the shoot. What on earth do any of the rest of her requirements have to do with her safety?  She also seems to think that working with professionals will make her more safe, and there might be something to that in terms of odds, but like Udo said, her terms pretty much insure that no true professional would have anything to do with her.

The only thing most of her list of requirements will do is affect whether or not photographers who actually were interested in shooting her for legitimate reasons will want to shoot her or not. But do you think a guy who is dangerous and has evil intentions will say to himself, gee, I'd really like to (insert flavor of dastardly deed here -->)__________ her, but to arrange a "shoot" with her would entail my lying about my intention to fulfill her list of TFP requirements... but I cannot tell a lie, therefore I will just have to find another victim... ?

Jun 12 05 02:49 am Link

Model

Iris Model and MUA

Dallas, Texas, US

I understand the logistics in what you are saying.  Sensibly, someone seeking to prey will do so regardless the "caution signs".  However, a victimizer can smell a victim a mile away.  To come across as forceful and the type that wont flex their limitations is coming across as someone who is not an easy target.  It is statistically proven that if a woman is being followed by a potential attacker and turns to look him in the eye, he will more often than not forfit the attack, because in doing so, she has asserted herself as a "non-victim".  I do not base my words on false knowledge, nor have I built a port on ego.  I have listed that which I have to offer, 18 years of traditional ballet training has attributed to my modeling very much so.  As for the presumed deterence of working with legitimate photographers, I have yet to see anything but the opposite of that. 
A great thanks to you all for your commentary, it is always an interesting thing to see the many perspectives of a simple paragraph smile     

Jun 12 05 03:06 am Link

Photographer

mrbambito

New York, New York, US

Jun 12 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

sheesh, that's a hell of a first contact email from a photog to a model.  I can't meet the "disc at end of shoot" requirement since my SD10 only shoots RAW and I have to do the conversion after the shoot, but I would never fire off an email like that.  If I really wanted to work with the model, I would explain my concerns and see if we could work something out, but I can't imagine an email like that getting the process rolling smoothly...lol

Jun 12 05 03:00 pm Link