Forums > Photography Talk > How many TFP's

Photographer

Studio ZXY

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I have never done TFP before and I would like to know if a photographer does a TFP shoot with a model, what is the amount in prints that the photographer gives? Would it be better to do TFCD and if so, how many prints would you put on the CD? Thanks guys for your input and time!

Feb 07 08 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Inspirephotos

Absecon, New Jersey, US

It can all depend on the photographer and whats in the release form
I personally go crazy if I do not have anything else lined up for the rest of the day
I did 818 my last tfcd and enhanced about 25 of them

Feb 07 08 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

ZXY Photography wrote:
I have never done TFP before and I would like to know if a photographer does a TFP shoot with a model, what is the amount in prints that the photographer gives? Would it be better to do TFCD and if so, how many prints would you put on the CD? Thanks guys for your input and time!

It depends on what you negotiate.

As far as prints, I've generally seen photographers give out one or two prints on a trade shoot. Me personally, I don't see why a model usually needs more than one portfolio-sized print from a TFP shoot, but it depends on the quality of work, looks, and what you negotiate.

TFCD varies wildly from two or three retouched hi-res images up to 25 or more Web-ready ones. Again, depends on what you negotiate and how much you care about your work.

Feb 07 08 06:30 pm Link

Model

__noir__

Buffalo, New York, US

As a model I would expect 1-2 shots from each look.

I don't usually expect prints, as long as the photographer gives me permission to print out the image for my book which does require a hires image.If they aren't comfortable with giving me the hi res shot, then I ask for a print if I really want it in my book.

Feb 07 08 06:32 pm Link

Model

Aaron Matthew

Tempe, Arizona, US

i negotiate that i see 20 and pick my fav ten. but it all depends on how many looks and how long you shoot

Feb 07 08 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Xeris - Dwight

Austin, Texas, US

It is all something that you negotiate with the photographer, there is no set answer.

However, for me a typical 3.5 - 4 hour TFCD shoot would result in 5 - 10 fully Photoshopped web size images available as a download or CD; no prints or print size images. Same thing but for TFP would get 2 - 4 prints in the 8x10/8x12 to 9x12 prints; no web images.

But, like I said, it can vary a lot. Work out something with the photographer that you feel is fair and that he feels is fair.

Feb 07 08 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

Los Angeles, California, US

ZXY Photography wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFCD  gives some pretty good guidelines.  Perhaps a worthy read.

Feb 07 08 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Xeris wrote:
It is all something that you negotiate with the photographer, there is no set answer.

That's the best answer.

Be sure that everyone is clear on what has been decided BEFORE the shoot, though--surprises after the shoot are rarely good ones.

I typically provide 1-2 edited images per look or per hour.

Feb 07 08 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Daveion7101

Mint Hill, North Carolina, US

Inspirephotos wrote:
It can all depend on the photographer and whats in the release form
I personally go crazy if I do not have anything else lined up for the rest of the day
I did 818 my last tfcd and enhanced about 25 of them

818 shots? dang! must of been a beast to go through all of them to find 25

Feb 07 08 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Depends on how well the shoot goes. I don't often provide final postprocessing/editing/retouching for more than 4-5 shots from a 3+/- hour shoot where I've shot anywhere from 60-150 images depending on the type of shoot and number of looks. Generally I'll tell a model that I'll provide a copy of unedited PROOF files on disk to look through when they leave, then that night I'll edit my 2 favorites from the shoot and the model can request their 2 favorites and get them within a week or so. Then normally anything further that I think is worth working through is done as I have free time to revisit it.

Feb 07 08 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

My average 4 or 5 hour shoot nets a few dozen images I dig...sometimes less, sometimes more.

I edit the ones I like best...often 12-18..

I leave them for a day and look at them the next day.

I pare it down by about 25 percent, and resize them all for web with a subtle watermark.

I include a Hi-res file of each for printing and a websized copy.

So, around a dozen (give or take) from me...2 copies each. I figure 2 images per look/ per hour of shooting.

Feb 07 08 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I get about 2-3 per look, and normally shoot maybe 10 images total per look.

Feb 07 08 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Studio ZXY

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I really appreciate the input that you guys have given me. Now when I do have the time to offer TFP, I know what I should go by as far as prints. Thanking You Guys For Your Help!
~Studio ZXY

Feb 13 08 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Tureson

Aurora, Illinois, US

It ultimately comes down to what you can/are willing to offer, and what the model wants/needs.  Talk it over and work it out. smile

Once you get a feel for what YOU are comfortable with, then you can start setting some 'standards'.  But still keep your options open... If Angie Everhart was willing to shoot TFCD with me... She'd get everything I could offer!

Feb 13 08 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of Ra

Vienna, Virginia, US

As a baseline, I ask the model to pick out about 25 shots from the proofs I provide.  I make sure to do basic color correction etc... on those.  I'll also usually pick out several from those as well to touch up, fix skin, etc... and then format those at 300dpi at the print size I like.  In the end, the model gets a CD with all the proofs at very low res, the color corrected shots at around 1MP res, and the print files at 300dpi.  I also generally add any shots that I've selected to work on for my own use.

In terms of number of shots taken, it depends on how long we spend.  For a typical 2-3 hour shoot I've taken anywhere from 200-800 shots.

Rahul

Feb 13 08 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

derwei chan

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i try to provide 1-2 hires retouched per look with the respective websized version.
and low res of everything (so the model can see how they did)

use to provide as many as the model requested...and then i just found they ended up picking everything and there's no point have 100 images of the same look in your portfolio

Feb 13 08 04:49 pm Link