Forums > General Industry > Curious about presentation . . .

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I've always prided myself on the fact that my shoots are fun and relaxed enough that both model and photographer are at ease to create great imagery. This is also why I'm really particular about who I work with. If a model gives off any vibe at all that says 'difficult,' we won't be working together. I guess this is why it really bothers me when I see some of the posts here and an unwillingness to be flexible when I see certain model and photographer portfolios here. How does everyone else here feel about what they see and read here? Curious . . .

Jun 07 05 02:26 am Link

Model

Shaylene Brown

Linton, Indiana, US

Personally I prefer a relaxed photographer... It makes things easier on both sides and seems to be a lot more productive. I really don't care for the clock watching type... I don't schedule things so tight that I need to be shoved out the door before I can barely get my stuff gathered! ;-)
I'm understanding that a photographers time is precious and so is mine. Mutual respect has to be involved or I am probably not going to shoot with them again pay or not.
As far as what I read here, to be honest I don't read a lot of other models bio's because I have my own outlook and don't want to taint it with anothers. When this job stops being fun and turns into only a job I'm done. :-)
Photographers... well they can be a bit cocky but only if they have the work and publishing to prove it. Everyone just needs their happy medium...

Jun 07 05 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Myself if a model is uncomfortable (sp?) working with me, or has any kind of uneasiness, I would just much rather not do the shoot at all. So far most of my models arnt really models but more or less music artists and such who wanted shots for like CD covers and what not, and are for the most part easy going, and also for the most part males. But I would be equally uneasy if the model too was uneasy and that would just get us no where, and by no means would I ever want to preasure someone to do something they do not wish to do, that just causes more problems than solutions. But shaylene has a point about photographers being cocky, but being arogant or cocky is an appeal to some people, hehe trust me i know the feeling not just being a photographer but also being a webdeveloper and geek. If i'm doing a TFP/TFCD , everyone just needs to have fun. I mean business is business, but its not that hard to be professional and enjoy yourself at what you do. Not to sound like a broken record, but if either the model or photographer are uneasy, the shoot will reflect that.

Jun 07 05 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I agree. Works both ways. What I was getting at is I wonder if photographers and models here are aware of how they may be perceived by what's written in their portfolio or by what they post in the forums. I see stuff in these threads every day that just blows my mind.

Jun 07 05 02:51 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I've worked with the bitchiest models.  I've also worked with the most chillest models.  It doesn't matter what her personality is.  I could work with anyone.  I do though prefer a model who is up for anything.  A model who enjoys modeling.  A model who is kind of like me.

smile

Jun 07 05 01:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Luckily, I am highly "chameleonic" so I get along with pretty much everyone. I also understand the need for "compromise."   

Jun 07 05 01:28 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I'm pretty comfortable working with anyone but I do prefer working with photographers who are more relaxed and not uptight. I think its harder for photographers because they want to be seen as professional and not just some perv with a camera which can make some people feel nervous about being themselves. Its a lot easier to produce good images if both people are relaxed and enjoy what they are doing.

Jun 07 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Boyd Hambleton: 
I guess this is why it really bothers me when I see some of the posts here and an unwillingness to be flexible when I see certain model and photographer portfolios here. How does everyone else here feel about what they see and read here? Curious . . .

I always find it weird when someone says "I don't do nude" right off the bat. I always think, "well, do you see alot of nudes in my portfolio... ?" It's like a maid who doesn't do windows. It's like if you're not going to do everything I should find someone else, because maybe I don't even need the windows cleaned but there might be something else I really need cleaned or sorted and they're going to refuse to do it.

Jun 07 05 01:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I hate to say it, but if the model and the photographer both have great books, or I dig their stuff, I couldn't care less how they act at a shoot.  I am pretty laid back and have never encountered a problem.  If the model is wound up a bit too tight, I find it is in my best interest to put her at ease.  If she is being bitchy, I will assume it is because she is nervous, self loathing, bloated, whatever.  I don't care.  I will do my job and tell her how pretty she is.  Works like a charm.
With photogs, I will just stay out of their mix. 

Jun 07 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i have shot the most accomodating models and the most demanding divas..i can hoestly say when i am shooting..i couldn't tell the difference..only when i am not shooting them can i tell...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jun 07 05 05:14 pm Link