there is no clichés
only bad pictures
tb

Nov 14 07 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Frederique Porter

Dover, Delaware, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Let's all resolve not to make photographic cliches this year.  Okay, but what cliches?  What kind of images are you tired of seeing?

My preliminary list includes:

>>>  People wearing costume angel wings.

>>>  "Moody" single light source shadowy images, where the off side is lost against the black background.

What else?

WHY?

Nov 14 07 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy Penwell

Santa Monica, California, US

William Kious wrote:
I think discussing cliché has become cliché.

How cliche

Nov 14 07 09:49 am Link

Photographer

RiverGrizzly

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

Believe it or not, though the topic may have been done to death, I find these posts useful. I haven't been serious about photographing models, portraits etc. until recently so I was unaware of what ideas were being overused. But because there isn't much new under the sun, knowing what's been overdone is the beginning of putting a twist on it.

By the way, I love "moody" and light ratios higher than 1:2. But as a favor to those of you who are tired of seeing one-light shoots, I resolve to use at least two lights this year. But I'll put them really close to each other so I can achieve the drama I want. Maybe I'll add a hair light...and caution tape...but mine will be blue instead of yellow.

By the way, I think the nudity thing has been overdone but please don't stop shooting them because I haven't seen every model nude yet.

Nov 14 07 10:36 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY wrote:
I think is not the subject but the approach...maybe I'm wrong. T

no you're very right. Nothing wrong with cliche.

Nov 14 07 11:16 am Link

Model

Destiny_5

Houston, Texas, US

I think people are just reusing others ideas versus adding their own twist or doing another idea all together. This is what's creating these "oh not again" shots that are splattered all over Mayhem and the internet. But really,

WHO GIVES A ISH! TO EACH HIS OWN

Nov 14 07 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

The Light Tent

Los Angeles, California, US

William Kious wrote:
I think discussing cliché has become cliché.

lol me to, although I probably have a few cliche's of my own smile

Nov 14 07 02:52 pm Link

Model

Feral Oneiric

Portland, Oregon, US

T H Taylor wrote:
We've all shot the cliche shots... others will continue to shoot them.
I think it's a shooter's perog to shoot what ever they want to shoot (no matter how cliche, tacky or silly others may think) and it's arrogant for a few artist to try and dictate what other artists can or shoud produce.
Art is subjective
My two cents.

By the way... i get annoyed with the "American Beauty" shot (with the flower petals) but, I say, shoot it if you feel it; you may do it better than any one else has.

Agreed.

Nov 14 07 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Let's all resolve not to make photographic cliches this year.  Okay, but what cliches?  What kind of images are you tired of seeing?

My preliminary list includes:

>>>  People wearing costume angel wings.

>>>  "Moody" single light source shadowy images, where the off side is lost against the black background.

What else?

I have never used those wings.. so I guess I can start now, and it will not be a cliche for me.. lol.. I agree with you.

Nov 14 07 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I took a couple of courses in fashion design.  They were very open about the fact that everything is inpired by something else.

Photography, in my opinion is the same way except we are less than honest with ourselves and think that everything we do is totally unique.  The truth is, its been done before.  I see very little work that's truely unique and ground breaking.

So, many/most of us do stuff we've seen and liked.  Or continue to do something we've done with satisfactory results.

A youth today will read Shakespeare and say "it's full of cliches".  They're cliches because of Shakespear's talent.  Yes, there may be someone that did it first, but they'll have many immitators if they did it well.

Nov 14 07 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

TheFlyingCamera

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'll agree with the bad selective desat, and I'll add another modern nono that has come about from the photoshop age:

models whose skin has been gaussian-blurred to the point they look more like a barbie doll than a human being.

Nov 14 07 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

ImagiGraphics

El Dorado Hills, California, US

BCG wrote:
2...giggling lesbians...fyi: there is no laffing in real leasbian sex.

Really?...then what the hell were they laughing at then?  Wait...don't answer that....

Nov 14 07 06:52 pm Link