Forums > General Industry > Dealing With Detractors

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

For the most part, I ignore them. For I don't expect my competition to be friendly. But when they start effecting your business, other than legal ramifications, then what's the next step?

Jun 07 05 07:20 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

"There are very few personal problems which cannot be successfully resolved by the appropriate application of high explosives."

M

Jun 07 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by StMarc: 
"There are very few personal problems which cannot be successfully resolved by the appropriate application of high explosives."

M

Where does that come from?  I know that quote, I've used it many times, but I can't remember it's origin.

Another of my favorites is "This calls for a careful blend of psychology and extreme violence." - The Young Ones.

Jun 07 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I dunno, I just picked it up many years ago.

When I was younger and meaner, or at least less subtle, when I was asked if I planned to attend my high school reunion, I would say, "I am only going to get close enough for the detonator to receive a good clear signal."

M

Jun 07 05 11:02 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Other than taking legal action (if you can), there's really not a whole lot you CAN do besides ignorethem unless you want to get into some long, drawnout mudslinging fest online.

Sort of like an [offensive] image I saw once on somethingawful.com:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics-- even if you win, you're still retarded."

Jun 08 05 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Josie Nutter: 
Other than taking legal action (if you can), there's really not a whole lot you CAN do besides ignorethem unless you want to get into some long, drawnout mudslinging fest online.

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics-- even if you win, you're still retarded."

Thats funny!!

Jun 10 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen ©: 

Posted by Josie Nutter: 

Thats funny!!

Funny but true though I can fall into the trap from time to time.

But I just quote Yogi "I really didn't say everything I said"

or "90% of the game is half mental"

or  "It was hard to have a conversation with anyone,  there were too many people talking."

Jun 10 05 01:54 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

How do they affect your business?  I don't get along with alot of my competition here in San Diego, but it doesn't stop me from getting work.   Kiss my ass biatches!

Jun 10 05 09:34 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I deal with detractors de same way I deal with deplows, dehorses, dechickens, and debarn on my farm.

Jun 10 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Life is full of detractors.  Especially if you are a dreamer.  Not to sound immodest, but I have started four companies and done a ton of things in my life that 99% of people either actively or passively discouraged me from doing.  I plowed along nonetheless and am so over-the-top grateful for the way my life has developed as a result.

Most people are now doing that (detracting) about my photography.  I know I am a newbie, I know I need refinement and practice (lots), but that is a reason to do more, not to abandon it. 

People are generally weak and afraid and conformists.  They are comforted by those who adopt the same narrow world view, and are freaked out by those who challenge the prevailing mindsets, take risks and pursue their dreams.  I know this sounds very broad and philosophical, but it's true whether you are talking about photography, politics, or business.

My rule: follow your dreams.  Accept thoughtful advice, but ignore the detractors.  You will not get another trip down This Road.  8-)

I look around me now, at 35, and look at all those who discouraged me along the way.  Some of them did not really consciously realize how discouraging they were, but they were.  I am far and away the happiest and most fulfilled one of them all - and even most of them would (now) say so.  Sure, I'm woefully defective, but I could not be more pleased with the path I've chosen.  And core to it is the above mindset.

So, Cheez, in sum: rock on.

Jun 10 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

The last detractor that I can remember made a point of telling someone i shot with that I was "Such an asshole" -- but then had to end up admitting the images I'd done of her were still good.  Laughed at the time, and then laughed again when said detractor recently turned on the model!  Pattern of behavior anyone?

Jun 10 05 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I usually just go find a nice quiet place to cry.
Then I take my football and go home.

Jun 10 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

It used to really bother me.

I no longer care.

I'm bigger, I'm better, and gosh darnit, people like me.

If I'm not, then I will be.

If they don't, then that's their problem, not mine.

Jun 10 05 09:55 pm Link