Forums > General Industry > Confessions of a Naked Model

Model

MollyCrabapple

New York, New York, US

For a while, I've been supporting myself taking off my clothes for the camera.  And, for nearly as long, I've been writing essays about the experiance.

I thought I'd post them here.  Like me, the essays are bitchy and opinionated, and speak only for yours truely. 

Take a gander at http://www.lifeduringwartime.net/words.html

I dig comments.  I dig experiances- from both photographers and models.  If you think I'm full of it, tell me.  If you think I'm dead-on, tell me too.

----
http://www.mollycrabapple.com (the art)
http://www.mollycrabapple.net (the tits)

Jun 07 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Interesting reading (and perspective).  Thanks for the link.

Jun 07 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

You're a good writer.

Thoughts on Petter Hegre's work?

Jun 07 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Wonderful writing, and I say that as a published author.  It's too uncommon to hear what it's like on the other side of the lens, and extremely rare to hear it said well.

Particularly fun to read about the photo-persona vs. real person; yes, I've gone to grab a post-shoot pizza with models who went from untouchable fantasy creatures (especially in the eyes of the ultimate viewer) to bright but ordinary looking young women; once had someone show up for a pre-shoot meeting in cut-offs and a tee shirt and no makeup, and I know she had just taken off all of the above, so must assume it was a test.  We got along great... what a coincidence, she's a writer too.

Jun 07 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Good, you are a great writer. I hate to read as well, so... Great wrok.

I also went through your pics and have to say you and Steve did some amazing work.

Really cool stuff!

Jun 07 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

Here is a site I think you will like...

http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Ron

Jun 07 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Definitely some interesting perspectives, but I can't help thinking that if a [male] photographer began a blog about his misadventures with flaky, unaccountable, disruptive, dishonest models [eg: lots of them], people would probably just call him a sexist asshole.  Moral:  A beautiful woman can still do and say things the "rest" of us could never get away with.

Jun 07 05 07:16 pm Link

Model

MollyCrabapple

New York, New York, US

Aw, us pretty girls and our privilages ; )

Actually, D. Nelson wrote some interesting things from the guy photographer's perspective (including a witty rebutal to yours truely).  You can check him out at http://www.sadisticasylum.com.

Someone on the ModelMayham boards also wrote a parody of an omp portfolio that I found hilarious.

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
Definitely some interesting perspectives, but I can't help thinking that if a [male] photographer began a blog about his misadventures with flaky, unaccountable, disruptive, dishonest models [eg: lots of them], people would probably just call him a sexist asshole.  Moral:  A beautiful woman can still do and say things the "rest" of us could never get away with.

Jun 07 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

*Raises hand*
That's how my blog started off. Now it encompasses everything.

Jun 07 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

not only are you a good writer, but a wonderful model. I'm sorry I missed you last week at LC's show (I was there after you).

Jun 07 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

jstill

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I love it, excellent writing!

Jun 08 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

vlad voloshin

New York, New York, US

pretty good stuff:)
I just don't know why must you look for an approval of your actions by "Feminist Party Politics" and your judgement of prostitutes is a little too negative. I mean, in the framework of US morals that's normal, but actually many photographers, journalists, politicians, etc., are just like prostitutes, and even worse smile)))
let us know if you have further installments in your "naked odyssey"
regards

Jun 08 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

great blog! incisive, witty, poignant.  i bookmarked yu... uhhh.. it.

Jun 08 05 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by MollyCrabapple: 
Aw, us pretty girls and our privilages ; )

Actually, D. Nelson wrote some interesting things from the guy photographer's perspective (including a witty rebutal to yours truely).  You can check him out at http://www.sadisticasylum.com.

Someone on the ModelMayham boards also wrote a parody of an OMP portfolio that I found hilarious.

It's not that big a deal to me.  I'm much to focused on my work and trying to be a positive force in our "business".  But I should say that I made the decision to pass on working with a very well known [web] model based on what I read in her blog.  I had been hoping for a chance to work with her for a couple of years, but by the time we were able to schedule something, I was so turned off by her contempt for photographers, models and pretty much every other living person that I was releived when she couldn't make our scheduled date after all.  I'm sure it puts me in a minority, but I really do factor EVERYTHING I see/hear/know about a model when i make a decison to work with her.

Jun 08 05 05:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

But I should say that I made the decision to pass on working with a very well known [web] model based on what I read in her blog.  I had been hoping for a chance to work with her for a couple of years, but by the time we were able to schedule something, I was so turned off by her contempt for photographers, models and pretty much every other living person that I was releived when she couldn't make our scheduled date after all.

That's why I make my blog entries expressing my contempt for photographers, models and pretty much every other living person "friends only."

Jun 09 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

I don't know if that is entirely true.  If a model flakes on me, or is otherwise unprofessional, it definitely goes into a journal.  I dont use names, but nevertheless, its there.  I may be able to get away with it because I rant SOOOO well

Jun 09 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by damon: 

I don't know if that is entirely true.  If a model flakes on me, or is otherwise unprofessional, it definitely goes into a journal.  I dont use names, but nevertheless, its there.  I may be able to get away with it because I rant SOOOO well

I'm pretty lucky in that i've successfully weeded out most of the flakes and negative influences in my work.  I have posted rants about models in my blog in the past, but the response has never been positive.  Now I just use the blog as a place to "road test" new work before uploading it to my sites.  People seem to prefer pretty pictures to reading what I might actually think.

Jun 09 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

It was more interesting than most of the stuff I read these days–and better written, too.

Jun 09 05 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Amen on that one and it definitely doesn't just apply to models and photographers.

Jun 10 05 06:05 pm Link