Tampa, Florida, US

smile

Apr 29 08 02:57 pm Link

Model

Andrea Leigh

Washington, District of Columbia, US

azzara wrote:
I think what everyone means when thay say "REAL" is "Good"

...hence, they lack the intelligence to use the appropriate term.

You, Azzara are clearly a smart one though! smile

Apr 29 08 02:59 pm Link

Model

Rosemary Zapata

Houston, Texas, US

You're AWESOME!!!

Apr 29 08 03:00 pm Link

Model

KM

BRONX, New York, US

Sita Mae wrote:
Barf!

Thats what I just did bc someone told me I was too "thick" to be a "real" model.

Thanks Sita, you've inspired me. Your cooler than winterfresh gum!

Apr 29 08 03:04 pm Link

Model

chris Lynn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Karen D wrote:
I Totally Agree!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for Putting That Out There, You Got a Way with Words smile

A-M-E-N

Apr 29 08 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Word.

Apr 29 08 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

AZZARA

BRONX, New York, US

Andrea Leigh wrote:
...hence, they lack the intelligence to use the appropriate term.

You, Azzara are clearly a smart one though! smile

OR the honest one! There is also something missing to the whole subject. Since digital, sites like this, etc EVERYBODY is a "model" and a "photographer" so people dont REALLY KNOW how to distinguish between the two. EVERYBODY takes pictures so ALMOST EVERYBODY (general population) doesn't get it. The first 15 years of my career, my father didn't get what I did. He would ask me if I was  "Still chasing those rock bands. Why don't you get a job like your brother, with benefits" It wasnt until he saw an image of mine of Anne Miller--old Hollywood, that he was impressed and said "You shot ANNE MILLER!! She was big when he was a teen and could now put what I do into perspective. Other than that, Not EVERYBODY who came here from Myspace deserves either term.

Apr 29 08 03:09 pm Link

Model

ERICA ANN

Atlanta, Georgia, US

reebound wrote:

Thank you.

I think I am in love with you!!!!!!!!!
I am also so sick of the editoral models,rail thin models, and the photographers who shoot them, thinking they have "modeling" covered.
its bullshit..and you totally have my support. If anyone gives u s...in this post....I have ur back completely.
YOU ROCK!1

Apr 29 08 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery By Hal

Springfield, Illinois, US

Sita Mae wrote:
I'm so fucking sick of that phrase.  Usually it's seen in conjunction with totally random and subjective qualifiers, such as, "Only girls who do fashion are REAL models."  Or, "You're only a REAL model if you make X amount of dollars" in which X is defined as some utterly random number, or "Only nude models are REAL models."

Guess what, kids?  If you model, you're a REAL model.

The old wrinkly lady who does denture ads is a REAL model.  The fat guy who sits for art classes is a REAL model.  Fashion models are REAL models. 

If you want to say something meaningful that actually narrows down the field, try "full-time" model, or maybe "paid" or "agency signed" or "published" or something else that actually describes what you're talking about.

"REAL" is about as meaningful as "edgy."

Barf!

SUSTAINED! 

Such a relief to see clear air through all the "smoke & mirrors" in the forums.  I think I just found a new Hero!

Apr 29 08 03:24 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sita Mae wrote:
I'm so fucking sick of that phrase.  Usually it's seen in conjunction with totally random and subjective qualifiers, such as, "Only girls who do fashion are REAL models."  Or, "You're only a REAL model if you make X amount of dollars" in which X is defined as some utterly random number, or "Only nude models are REAL models."

The old wrinkly lady who does denture ads is a REAL model.  The fat guy who sits for art classes is a REAL model.  Fashion models are REAL models. 

If you want to say something meaningful that actually narrows down the field, try "full-time" model, or maybe "paid" or "agency signed" or "published" or something else that actually describes what you're talking about.

Barf!

*Applauds* Thank you!

I heart you!

Apr 29 08 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Now you have a topic....

Oh and you forgot about the old lady screaming for "Where's the Beef"

Apr 29 08 03:32 pm Link

Model

Raven Alexis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I LOVE YOU!

Apr 29 08 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

KRISTINAmichelle wrote:

Thats what I just did bc someone told me I was too "thick" to be a "real" model.

Thanks Sita, you've inspired me. Your cooler than winterfresh gum!

Wait, what?

Too "thick?" You?

Looking at your measurememnts, I would hardly call you "thick." God.

Agreeing with Sita, it doesn't matter anyway, but still.

Apr 29 08 06:21 pm Link

Model

Stacie Delaine

Huntington Beach, California, US

Sita rocks the free world big_smile

Apr 29 08 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

True!

Apr 29 08 06:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Face-Off

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I completely agree!

"Real" is a very vague term that is completely subject to opinion. hmm

Apr 29 08 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
Kind of like "real" actors.  The truth is, anyone acting is a "real" actor.  Some of them are really good, most are average, and many suck.

Same with models.  If you're the subject of a photo session, you're a model. I say session because if some guy comes up and takes your picture seemingly at random, you're not really modeling.  You're just a subject in that moment.  But if you're doing this and that and that during a series of photos, you're modeling.

However, what kind of model you are varies.

You suck
You're average
You've got potential
You're pretty good
You fucking rock the house

I'm sure people can add to the list.  They are ALL real models.

I agree with Sita.

I see I that I wrote what I already wanted to write 2 months ago!!!  Damn...I'm STILL brilliant!

Apr 29 08 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Davonroe

Brooklyn, New York, US

You mean I've gone through this entire thread and no "model gatekeepers" have defended their right to trash the rest of us mortals?

GOOD JOB, SITA!!

Apr 29 08 06:47 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Sita Mae wrote:

True dat on both accounts!!!

Apr 29 08 07:26 pm Link

Model

Minxzilla

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

I love you. AMEN SISTER!

Apr 29 08 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Sita Mae wrote:

More meaningful, but less useful.

The label real model (or real photographer) is just an attempt to stigmatize people. 'Real' carries the connotation that it's the only legitimate option, and everything else is fake, in effect insulting everything else.

'Edgy' simply doesn't mean anything.

Apr 29 08 09:20 pm Link

Model

kierali

New York, New York, US

thank you.

Apr 29 08 09:26 pm Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I officially love you a little bit for saying that big_smile

Aug 19 08 10:26 pm Link

Model

Donna Petra

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

::kneels down and praises the floor Sita walks on:: smile

I'm so sick of people coming up to me and saying "You say your a model but your not on any ads or anything...so eventually your not a model"

Aug 19 08 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bates

Austin, Texas, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

YAY! Right on!!!

Michael

Aug 19 08 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I still prefer the "REAL" thing.  < joking > . smile

Aug 19 08 10:45 pm Link

Model

Sasha Vanessa

Berkeley, California, US

I think this may be the biggest lovefest I've seen yet lmao!

Aug 19 08 10:47 pm Link

Model

Stephy C

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 19 08 10:47 pm Link

Model

ThinkingBig

Nunn, Colorado, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

Bravo!

Aug 24 08 04:59 am Link

Model

Mandy_M

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

AWESOME!!! I completely agree. Well said smile

Aug 24 08 05:09 am Link

Model

Jay Zanele

Phoenix, Arizona, US

:stands up and claps:

Aug 24 08 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Maybe this will help:  Real model verses FAKE MODEL.
Real....gets up at 4 am..goes to fitness class,...comes home...eats enough to get her thru til whenever.....goes to 10 casting calls, completes one job then calls it a day. The next day...does it all over again.  She takes whatever paying offer comes her way and when she sees trends developing in the industry she does a TFP shoot to update her book which is full of tearsheets.  Some months she works well...some she doesnt, but she knows to be successful she has to have a network of friends, agents, photographers and satisfied clients.  She stays in touch with them regularly in addition to hitting the forums and other internet marketing efforts once in a while.  She knows it can take a month of work to get one job and she pays the price.

FAKE model.  Gets up at 6 am after spending the night out with her boyfriend drinking....does a tfp shoot with the guy down the street who bought his first camera a month ago...then rushes to Wendy's to work until 10 pm.  Gets up he next day and complains on internet forums that she cant get her $75.00 per hour minimum rate and talks bad about the photographers who want to shoot her in nude content if she cant get rights to the images.  Next month she has another TFP shoot if she can get her boy friend to take her and if her sister from Canton doesnt come down for the semi annual trip to the mall.  She complains that she didnt get the images from the last TFP shoot but doesnt realize that she never gave the photographer the correct address.  She wont shoot with professional photographers to get a decent portfolio because she lives by the "models dont pay...they get paid" theory.  Her myspace page got 10 hits this past week when she ran a bulletin about her gay friend getting fired to kissing his straight boss.
She just doesnt understand why no one takes her seriously....but damnit...she has a minimum rate.

Aug 24 08 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Ein zwei drei vier funf

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

Pigeon has got it right again.........

Aug 24 08 06:27 am Link

Photographer

jasontheartist

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

The word model, just like artist, has been verbally jerked off by people to the point of uselessness. If everyone who ever has been in a snapshot is considered a model then we are an entire species of models, anyone who ever doodled is an artist so now we are  all models and artists. Why stop there ever touched a screwdriver? Well you're now a mechanic. Wrench? a plumper. Stuck something in your rear?  You're a Doctor. The words themselves are stupid titles that mean nothing. The practice of the elements the word implies holds the truth to the phrase "Im a model." or whatever.

I agree with the op that the terminology is wrong but I do not agree that anyone that does something should be considered what they claim to be unless they have somesort of investment of time and practice.

Aug 24 08 06:38 am Link

Model

Corkii_B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

"REAL" models only eat cardboard for its negative calorie content tongue

Aug 24 08 08:53 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

PIGEON HILL PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Real....gets up at 4 am..goes to fitness class,...comes home...eats enough to get her thru til whenever.....goes to 10 casting calls, completes one job then calls it a day. The next day...does it all over again.  She takes whatever paying offer comes her way and when she sees trends developing in the industry she does a TFP shoot to update her book which is full of tearsheets.  Some months she works well...some she doesnt, but she knows to be successful she has to have a network of friends, agents, photographers and satisfied clients.  She stays in touch with them regularly in addition to hitting the forums and other internet marketing efforts once in a while.  She knows it can take a month of work to get one job and she pays the price.

FAKE model.  Gets up at 6 am after spending the night out with her boyfriend drinking....does a tfp shoot with the guy down the street who bought his first camera a month ago...then rushes to Wendy's to work until 10 pm.  Gets up he next day and complains on internet forums that she cant get her $75.00 per hour minimum rate and talks bad about the photographers who want to shoot her in nude content if she cant get rights to the images.  Next month she has another TFP shoot if she can get her boy friend to take her and if her sister from Canton doesnt come down for the semi annual trip to the mall.  She complains that she didnt get the images from the last TFP shoot but doesnt realize that she never gave the photographer the correct address.  She wont shoot with professional photographers to get a decent portfolio because she lives by the "models dont pay...they get paid" theory.  Her myspace page got 10 hits this past week when she ran a bulletin about her gay friend getting fired to kissing his straight boss.
She just doesnt understand why no one takes her seriously....but damnit...she has a minimum rate.

lmao

Aug 24 08 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I shoot experienced models!!    smile

Aug 24 08 09:50 am Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I was dating this guy who told me I'm not a real model because I don't do fashion.. do you think I ever called him back? wink

Aug 24 08 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Barf!

Does this apply to doctors?  If so, my next neighbors daughter needs to hang out a Medical Doctors sign.  She cured some of my problems about a year ago. smile

Aug 24 08 11:17 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

PIGEON HILL PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Sorry to say it, but this is just too true.  I have had experience with both and those in the first category are so much more professional and easy to shoot.  Those in the second category are sometimes very attractive, but don't understand their limitations.  Not many models or photographers on MM are professionals.  I am not a professional photographer either, so shame on me.  I have met many great models on MM, however, so it is working for me.

Aug 24 08 11:26 am Link