Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > We are therapists, not prostitutes!

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

While the terms masseuse and masseur used to be valid titles to call one who practices the art of massage, they are now used when speaking of someone who practices sexual massage.

I am studying to be a massage therapist, not a prostitute.

By the time I get my license, I will have taken:

Anatomy and Physiology (Muscles and bones, as well as systems)
Pathology (the study of disease)
Business Mastery and Ethics
Professional Boundaries
Palpation
Massage
Shiatsu
Some brand new class that was just added to the requirement list (100 hour clinic)

As well as two electives, and I must complete the national exam. 

The program I am in requires 800 hours, and will have taken me a year to complete by the time I graduate.  After that, it is said to take about 1000 hours of massage to really consider yourself a therapist, and it could take 2-5 years to build clientèle and have a truly successful practice.

I am going for my general license; if I were to go for Deep Tissue, Reflexology, or any other certification, I would need between 50 and 200 extra hours.

After passing the exam, I must apply for my license through the board of health in my city.  I must also, of course, be insured.  Even as a student therapist, I must have liability insurance.

Upon license renewal, every therapist must take a certain amount of continuing education courses.  I believe this is every two years.

Etc...etc...

Being referred to as a masseuse is an insult.

Please respectful to your therapist, and refer to him or her as such, for we are not just setting up shop without qualification.

Some of us are working very hard to help people.

This is not to say that prostitutes do not help people, but as that is not what I am going to school for, it belittles my education.

Feb 22 08 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Storm Surge Photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You wont hear any argument from me. I have two seperate massage therapists on speed-dial on my cell phone (out of fewer than 20 total). Each is a master at their chosen specialty. If I know Im going to one, I spend several hours before hand preparing and I dont schedule anything after. I'm too wiped out.

Feb 22 08 10:17 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Storm Surge Photography wrote:
You wont hear any argument from me. I have two seperate massage therapists on speed-dial on my cell phone (out of fewer than 20 total). Each is a master at their chosen specialty. If I know Im going to one, I spend several hours before hand preparing and I dont schedule anything after. I'm too wiped out.

One girl in my class the other night said "Don't put oil on when you do my neck, I just washed my hair before I came to class."

My thought was:

A) Class gets over at 10pm, where the hell are you going?

B) When I get a massage, the therapist doesn't generally pour oil in my hair.  Ha.

I plan around massages too.  I don't do anything to get ready, I just show up...but I do plan on drinking water, doing a little yoga...and relaxing.

Feb 22 08 08:36 pm Link

Model

Jay Corry

Houston, Texas, US

I was worried when I first started with my massage therapist - she is hot - what if I get a stiffie?  2 minutes later I was in so much pain sex was not even something my body or brain could comprehend....people don't get what massage therapy is all about - it's not foo foo feel good - it's fix broken soft tissue....

Feb 22 08 08:41 pm Link

Model

sofija

Boston, Massachusetts, US

So I don't get a happy ending next Tues.?

sad

wink

Feb 22 08 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

sofija wrote:
So I don't get a happy ending next Tues.?

sad

wink

from what I understand, you are still too scared to meet shandra.  I don't know why, she's nice.

Feb 22 08 08:55 pm Link

Model

pretty pleads

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

is a massage therapist the ones who do the ROLFing thing?

thats a legitamate question not a reference to barfing smile
iwas readinf  an article in a nold vogue about ROLFing its like fascia manipulation or something

sounded prettty fuckin cool

Feb 22 08 09:09 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

pretty pleads wrote:

iwas readinf  an article in a nold vogue about ROLFing its like fascia manipulation or something

ROLFing is not taught at my school, but many people I know are into this.

Our school does teach neuromuscular myofascial release, which is SO helpful.  It helped my posture out a lot.  I know he talks about ROLFing a bit.

As I have not taken the course yet, I cannot tell you anything about ROLFing, but, yes...some massage therapists/bodyworkers practice this.

Feb 22 08 09:34 pm Link

Model

sofija

Shandra wrote:

Is that when they sort of pull down on your skin/muscles until they loosen up?

Feb 22 08 09:37 pm Link

Model

sofija

Damon Banner wrote:

from what I understand, you are still too scared to meet shandra.  I don't know why, she's nice.

I'm not scared, I have serious anxiety issues.sad
It has nothing to do with Shandra, I think she's sweet as pie!

Feb 22 08 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

sofija wrote:

I'm not scared, I have serious anxiety issues.sad
It has nothing to do with Shandra, I think she's sweet as pie!

Get over it!  (i know it's easier said that done) but saying something like that is so damon.

Feb 22 08 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

when do you graduate shandra?

Feb 22 08 09:41 pm Link

Model

pretty pleads

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Shandra wrote:

Our school does teach neuromuscular myofascial release, which is SO helpful.  It helped my posture out a lot.  I know he talks about ROLFing a bit.

As I have not taken the course yet, I cannot tell you anything about ROLFing, but, yes...some massage therapists/bodyworkers practice this.

thanks shandra smile

Feb 22 08 09:42 pm Link

Model

sofija

Damon Banner wrote:

Get over it!  (i know it's easier said that done) but saying something like that is so damon.

That's so Damon!

(Queue theme music)

Feb 22 08 10:11 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Shandra wrote:

ROLFing is more bodywork than massage therapy.  Two separate things completely from the energetic stance.

Feb 22 08 10:29 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Inferi wrote:

ROLFing is more bodywork than massage therapy.  Two separate things completely from the energetic stance.

Yes.

I had neuromuscular and myofascial release, and it was definitely not massage.

Some massage therapists are also bodyworkers.

Feb 22 08 10:40 pm Link

Model

Jay Corry

Houston, Texas, US

Shandra wrote:

Yes.

Active Release Technique also helps with overuse injuries - but a good MT is the best bet

Feb 22 08 10:42 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Shandra wrote:

Yes.

Yes, they are.  But as you said, they have to go through a lot of extra training.  Just like massage therapists who do other sorts of healing work, like reiki or bowen or body talk.

Feb 22 08 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

We are the rapists.

Feb 22 08 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Skipshots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

pretty pleads wrote:

As I understand ROLFing, it's rather intense and almost brutal. But damn, you feel good after you recover.

Feb 22 08 10:47 pm Link

Model

Jay Corry

Houston, Texas, US

Newstart Photography wrote:

As I understand ROLFing, it's rather intense and almost brutal. But damn, you feel good after you recover.

And you sign up for eHarmony

Feb 22 08 10:48 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

rp_photo wrote:
We are the rapists.

Shut up.

Shut the hell up.

Feb 22 08 10:50 pm Link