Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Talent Agencies

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Hello!!

I've recently been contacted by a few Talent Agencies in NYC and Miami. I have Crystal's book with all of them listed, however, I was wondering if anyone has heard which are the best for actually getting work.

One particular agency in LA was really good, but the lady that owns it is also a SuperStylist, and is rumored to take all the good clients. So.. I dunno.

Any Suggestions?

Jan 25 06 06:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

What I find helpful is to have a mentor that can really help point you in the right direction.  Someone that is in the business in a major way, not some wannabe.  Someone that is really making it happen.  And in your case, this does not have to be a fashion stylist.  Mine is the director of a modeling agency that has girls all over the world.  His BS meter is always running and right on par.  He helps me in alot of my decisions.
Not knowing the names of the agencies you are speaking with, I cannot help.  I can ask him if you want.  Just send me a personal message.  And I would suggest really seeking out someone to ask about all of these types of things.
And trust your heart.

Jan 25 06 08:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Thanks!! I do have one mentor in NYC, but she's soo busy. She owns a PR/Marketing Agency. I plan to do some more research while I'm up here, and I'll let everyone know what I find out. Goodnight!

Jan 25 06 09:10 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

CamelaC wrote:
One particular agency in LA was really good, but the lady that owns it is also a SuperStylist, and is rumored to take all the good clients. So.. I dunno.

Any Suggestions?

It is all about how confident you are about your skills . If that agency is very good and you know your work is up to the level clients expect then i would go for it ( words spread fast when clients love what you do). The fact that she is good can only benefit you because of what she will attract , and you work should do the rest, but if you are unsure stay away .Also keep in mind they are rumors and we all know that not all of them are true ;-)
Good luck!

Jan 25 06 10:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Olivier wrote:

It is all about how confident you are about your skills . If that agency is very good and you know your work is up to the level clients expect then i would go for it ( words spread fast when clients love what you do). The fact that she is good can only benefit you because of what she will attract , and you work should do the rest, but if you are unsure stay away .Also keep in mind they are rumors and we all know that not all of them are true ;-)
Good luck!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just a little intimidated, because she's a MAJOR Stylist for almost every A list star already. I figured I'd atleast see if I could sign on as an Assistant. I'd love to learn from her!! She has some serious skill!

Jan 26 06 08:44 am Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

The only problem as signing up as an assistant is most likely when you will have the skills you think you needed to learn from her it will be hard to become your own entity in the same agency. People will remember you as the assistant and not as a stylist and you might live in her shadow . That said if you think you need to learn from her go for it and i am sure it would help your resume in the long run . I went thrue that myself but had to change salon to be fully recognized after it .
Wichever way you decide to go I am sure it will be good for you smile

Jan 26 06 09:46 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

CamelaC,

I think we should make a trip to LA and go agency shopping while shooting with some great photographers.  And lets not forget shopping.  We can hang out there for a week and pull from each other wardrobe.  Man we would have fun!!!  We won't really know, until we go and see what is out there for us.

~Smooches Girlfriend~

Jan 29 06 10:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Olivier wrote:
The only problem as signing up as an assistant is most likely when you will have the skills you think you needed to learn from her it will be hard to become your own entity in the same agency. People will remember you as the assistant and not as a stylist and you might live in her shadow . That said if you think you need to learn from her go for it and i am sure it would help your resume in the long run . I went thrue that myself but had to change salon to be fully recognized after it .
Wichever way you decide to go I am sure it will be good for you smile

Thanks! I appreciate that. I went to see a few in NYC, but we'll see what happens. It was a very interesting thing to do. They pick out every stray hair and lighting problem in a picture. I was like.. geesh! The pictures that I thought were pretty good, were just okay pictures with great styling. I have some follow up calls to make, and then I'll let you all know what happened! Well, if you want to know.. you can message me. I guess I don't need all by little bizness on blast. LOL

Jan 30 06 12:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Narvell wrote:
CamelaC,

I think we should make a trip to LA and go agency shopping while shooting with some great photographers.  And lets not forget shopping.  We can hang out there for a week and pull from each other wardrobe.  Man we would have fun!!!  We won't really know, until we go and see what is out there for us.

~Smooches Girlfriend~

What? When? I'm ALWAYS down for a roadtrip! Um.. well Airline trip! We should do NYC, I had a blast there. I've been really lucky to have some crazy connections, so I might just wait for the agencies. I'm going to the Grammy's next week, because my homie has 8 nominations!!.. if you wanna come... lemme know. I'm having a hard time dressing my damn self for it, so many parties!! HEHEHE

Jan 30 06 12:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup FX by Vanessa

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Check out "The Hair, Makeup & Styling Career Guide" it's so damn helpful and resorceful I love that book by Crystal A. Wright www.MakeupHairandStyling.com  and good luck make the duckets baby$$$$$

Feb 04 06 08:55 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Makeup FX by Vanessa wrote:
Check out "The Hair, Makeup & Styling Career Guide" it's so damn helpful and resorceful I love that book by Crystal A. Wright www.MakeupHairandStyling.com  and good luck make the duckets baby$$$$$

In the first post she stated she had the book already.  She was looking for more assistance.

Feb 04 06 11:13 pm Link