Forums > Photography Talk > WORKSHOPS (PROS and CONS)

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I was asked by a fellow photographer to start a few forums, lol. so here is one, how much experiece have photographers had with running/attending workshops? I knwo there are all types to shoot models, scenery etc and even instructional to teach the noobies. I would love to hear from peoples personal experience.

Apr 14 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Workshops for me have been a mixed blessing. While I'm no Helmut Newton by even the foggiest stretch of the imagination, it was sometimes frustrating to be surrounded by guys who would've been better served spending their money at a strip club than photographing nude or glamour models...because it's obvious that's why they were there.

On the other hand, as I was starting out, the very first pictures I took of a model were at a workshop. A workshop in Howell NJ, and I was invited there by one of the models. I got to meet her, a couple other models and photographers, and started to network.

Also, many times because the best models are being "pawed" at by most of the attending photographers, you quickly learn to be assertive in what you want, because if you aren't, you don't get any poses except for the ones the strip-club guys want.

I'd love to hear from some of the models who have participated in workshops as well.

Apr 14 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I did what we called a photo-orgy in Vegas a few times, but it's not the sexual thing you might think. It was a bunch of models and photographers and makeup artists just getting together and shooting. this was a much more private event as everyone knew or had heard of each other rather than just an event people off the street could pay to attend. I wonder if there are elite things where you have to proove you have been in the industry and are professional.

Apr 14 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Aha! This thread needs to go in the other forum...where the models lurk as well.

Apr 15 05 02:12 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Bryan Crump: 
I was asked by a fellow photographer to start a few forums, lol. so here is one, how much experiece have photographers had with running/attending workshops? I knwo there are all types to shoot models, scenery etc and even instructional to teach the noobies. I would love to hear from peoples personal experience.

Pros:  You might actually learn something.  Networking.

Cons:  I wouldn't spend a dime on one.

Apr 15 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I was sorta self taught.  I took classes in high school to understand how a camera works, how to develop film and prints, and the basic fundimintals of photography, but this is the main thing i have come to understand.  You cant learn talent.  You either have it or you dont.  You have it.  Now just develop it.  If you havnt been tought about, or know about f stops, exposure, and the fundimintals, it might help you to go, but if you already know all that s***, then i wouldnt go.  Those people can only give you the paint and canvous, they cant show you how to paint the field.

Apr 19 05 01:04 am Link