Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUAS - best 'DEWY LOOK' product?

Makeup Artist

JENN LEE

PUTNAM VALLEY, New York, US

SPECIFICALLY FOR FACE.  I have trouble with this one....guess i'm just more of a matte person...But i'd love to get more of that 'dewy' thing goin in the face....i hate it when makeup slides around though.

ugh.
so tired of trying with the end result being a weird splottchy(sp?) foundation.

-sorry if this is a dumb passe question...
jennlee

Jan 26 06 08:04 pm Link

Model

Stormey

Clearwater, Florida, US

I just did a shoot in Chicgo where the MUA used Keoli oil on me for a dewey look.  She said it's actually for your hair but is good for your skin too.  It smells really good too. smile  it worked really well for the dewey look & left my skin soft.

Jan 26 06 08:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you are looking for a powder... Loreal makes highlight shimmer stuff. A little goes a looooooooooooooong way and the tub they give you is huge.
Its powder so its light, doesn't slide around, and looks fantastic! *and cheap which is an amazing plus*

Another trick...
I learned from a major MUA that I assited that chapstick is good as well. I relaly like going this route, but again, you'll get the grease factor if you use more than a quick swipe across the areas...

Jan 26 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

There are a host of products out... and many are (copies of...?) very similar to "Glowtion" (glo-shun).

But my fave is hair food.  It is the stuff for black hair... it is cheap, simlar-ish to vasoline... but a little thinner, goes far, and has a nice 'tropical-ish' smell.  It does NOT clog the skin, and washes off fairly easily.  Really really great stuff.

There are many things called "hair food".... check the small tubs for a mint green color, smell as above, and texture.   Most all drugstores / Walgreens will have it. 
(if Walgreens, get "H&M" brand.)    .. also fab for hair!

Jan 26 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Ooops  "Glotion"

Jan 26 06 09:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alex LaMarsh

Richmond, Virginia, US

For the dewy look I use MAC Face & Body or add a touch of moisturizer to the foundation you usually use.

A-

Jan 27 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Is this "dewy?"

https://www.striffler.com/images/adr6826-web.jpg

Jan 27 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

im no stylist, but i heard of using a combination of glycerin and water? does anyone know if this works?

Jan 27 06 01:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Be careful with the glycerin and water.  If you are doing a series of shots, I recommend using this look last.  Yuck... But, it does look nice.
For a hint of glow, I like Elizabeth Arden 8 hour creme.  Also, I like MAC's Clear Gloss.

Jan 27 06 06:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

JENN LEE

PUTNAM VALLEY, New York, US

i would think so---it seems the tanner they are the easier it is... but she certainly looks JUST SHOWERED!

smile

Eric S. wrote:
Is this "dewy?"

https://www.striffler.com/images/adr6826-web.jpg

Jan 27 06 07:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Stephanie DiGiovanni

Wilmington, Delaware, US

MAC makes a product that you can get at the pro stores called face and body mixing medium, which goes on with no color and can also be mixed with any other products such as foundation etc.  You can also use MAC HyperReal foundation which has an iridescence to it, but can be matched to skintone and also is transfer resistant, which is good so that it doesn't get all over everything like gloss would.  However, for an extreme dewy highlight or a wet look, you really can't go wrong with mac gloss, vaseline, or glycerin.water mixture, it just depends on the level of dewiness you are trying to achieve. I hope this helps someone!! smile

Jan 27 06 08:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

Vincent Longo makes a nice "dewy" foundation, I've never personally used it for film though.

Jan 27 06 08:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

for a dewy look, dont over powder. too much powder will make it look muddy.

i like to do a little bit of strobe cream some super thin foundation or a tinted moisturizer, YSL touch eclat and cream blush and maybe some liquid luminizer.

Feb 02 06 10:07 pm Link