Photographer

JMS Photo

I was wondering if any MM makeup artists are in the makeup union and if so how did you get in?

Jan 27 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Which union are you talking about?  Unions don't generally relate to photography, they relate to the film and television industry, but that aside, I am curious which specific union are you referring to?

Jan 27 06 11:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

JMS Styling

New Milford, Connecticut, US

Which union? I thought I specifically asked about the MAKEUP union.

Jan 27 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Nevermind I shouldn't have responded.

Jan 27 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

There may or may not be one, depending on the specific type of work you want to do.  In the theatre world, there is a union for actors, stage managers, stagehands, technical directors, scenic designers, but none in the US that I know of for costume designers.  It may or may not be important for you to be a member of a union anyway.  I know dozens of union (Equity) actors and stage managers, and many actors consider it very valuable to get into the union, but of all the working scenic artists I know, only 1 is a union member.

Jan 27 06 11:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well currently i am trying to get into iaste its for film working make-up artists , and i am currently being interviewed to wrok with an agensy that represents only make-up artists. so its kinda a two way street. one for film and one for fashion

Jan 27 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
well currently i am trying to get into iaste its for film working make-up artists , and i am currently being interviewed to wrok with an agensy that represents only make-up artists. so its kinda a two way street. one for film and one for fashion

That was exactly why I asked you what union you were speaking about.  There is no specific union for make-up artists like there is for actors or directors.

IASTE is not a union for film working make-up artists.  The letters stand for:  International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees; thier website is:   
http://www.iatse-intl.org/index_flash.html.

IATSE is a generic union.  They represent technicians, artisans and craftspersons in the entertainment industry, including live theatre, motion picture and television production, and trade shows.

It is not the "MAKEUP" union.  There are other unions that may, under some circumstances represent make-up artist as well, such as the broadcast workers.

IATSE basically represents most of the other skilled and unskilled workers that can be found on the set which are not covered by a specific craft union.  As an example, truck drivers, even though they are working in films, will be members of the teamsters if it is a union project.  They won't be represented by IATSE.

So the correct question for you to be asking is whether there are any make-up artists on this site who are a member of IATSE.

Jan 27 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

JMS Photo

Perhaps I may have gotten my wires crossed somewhere. Let me check into it and get back if I find out something different from what you say.
I do appreciate the feedback.

Jan 27 06 06:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I belong to NABET here in Toronto Canada. It is a film and television union similar to IATSE but smaller. and members are divided into different categories - one of them is makeup. There are certain requirements that have to be filled before you can even apply: namely having worked 40 days on set (approx 400 hrs), having a portfolio and a few other things. Eligibility may be different where you are but if you call your local film and television union, I'm sure someone can advise you how to go about it.

Jan 27 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

JMS Photo

Thank you - I wasn't too far off afterall. I had only heard it referred to as the makeup union. Aparrently it's the same local 706 - the guild for hair stylists and makeup artists. I found the site - local 706.org incase anyone else would like info.
Thanks to all for their input.

Jan 27 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

You are getting close.  I am not berating you, that was why I was trying to understand what union you were asking about. 

Local 706 is the local chapter of IATSE which deals with make-up artists and hair stylists, but only in Los Angeles County.  That is why they call it a local.  IATSE is divided both into locals and into crafts.  From looking at your profile you are on the east coast so you can't qualify for Local 706unless you come to California to work for the qualifying period.  What you want to join is the local that serves your area.  they may or may not have a website.  I didn't try to hunt it down.

What you need to understand is that Local 706 is not a union in and of itself.  It is a sub-group of IATSE.  They happen to call themself a guild, which is fine but they are not an independent union.  You are interested in joining the local chapter that covers your area.

In the end though, as the poster from Canada has pointed out, more than one union represents make-up artists, so all I wanted to know was what union you were trying to affiliate with.   I think we have established that you are interested in joining IATSE, which is the largest of the unions.

So what you are looking for is to speak to other make-up artists or hair stylists who are members of IATSE.  Members of IATSE Local 706 fit the bill but there may also be other members of IATSE who are affiliated with other locals as well.

Good luck to you.  It takes some work to qualify to join the union, but if you do, it can be a good thing.

Jan 27 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

JMS Photo

Thank You Alan. I appreciate the clarification. I thinik I just need to do my home work ...and I will. Thanks again.

Jan 27 06 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The union on the east coast is #798 based in NY for MUA' and hairstylists, but they put through testing and you have to do a certain amount of F/X as well and it is a cost to join that is not cheap and you pay dues every year. also you need to have a certain # of hours in  doing MU for t.v., film, etc. If there is no union work coming in your area for films mostly major and you are not flexible to travel then it is not worth it, but if you are and can get in then the $$$ is good. I did a major film 2 summers ago and made damn near 1600 a day for 10 days.... Too bad New Orleans went thru Katrina, because that was begining to be the place for films to be made...

JMS Photo wrote:
I was wondering if any MM makeup artists are in the makeup union and if so how did you get in?

Jan 28 06 09:36 pm Link