Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I need a bigger makeup box. Recs please? :-)

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I have been putting off getting a new box because I have been spending soooo much lately and what I have is workable.
But, I want something new.
Does anyone have any good recs for a big box on wheels?  With a handle that telescopes.  And wonderful compartments that will keep my stuff safe.
Maybe it could have a wet bar?
I don't want fiberboard.  I want good, ballsy luggage.
Also, if you have one that you dislike, please let me know.
Thanks!!!!

Jan 27 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Jan 27 06 03:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Thanks Gorgeous! 
The one for 110 is smaller than what I have now! lol
But the others look good.  I am going for the Escalade of boxes.  Big!!!
Thank you for the link.  Your newer stuff looks great!

Jan 27 06 03:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

check out yazmo.com they have the best deals that I have found so far they make all of the major name brand ones like makeup forever and MAC but with out the "name brand" attached price tag , I just ordered a great new shiny silver one for $126 retail $800 smile so good great deals and they delivered mine to Canada in less than 2 weeks. smile very trust worthy and great products too. you can get them in all kinds of finnishes and colours.

Jan 27 06 09:02 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I don't know if this is the popular thing.. however, I saw a Make Up Artist in Boston with a rolling tool case that she used as a makeup case. It was a cute Pink Color. She said she got it at Lowe's or somewhere like that for $100 or less. It was probably came up to my waist, and had a handle. She said she was on a budget and had to improvise....

Jan 27 06 10:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Eugene Conde

Los Angeles, California, US

this is a lot cheaper than exactly i bought from cinema secret Japonesque barnd which for me $370

MC-933

• Soft-sided, 3-piece stackable case
• Main section with four zippered, removable pouches
• 3 zip down exterior pockets
• 2 sets of all aluminum accordion tiered trays
• Total Dimensions Closed with all components:16" x 24" x 21 1/2"
•  Middle Section Trays: 7" x 10 1/2" x 1-1/2"
• Detachable wheel trolly
• Padded double web handles
• Overlocking latches with keys
Our Great Price: $312.50

Jan 28 06 02:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I had a huge 3-tiered case like the one mentioned in the previous post.  But it couldn't take the abuse I put it through!  And trying to carry it up stairs was not the easiest thing in the world!  I t got to the point that the latches on the sides, which held the tiers together, stopped working and I cannot tell you how many times that thing came apart...in my car, in parking lots, even the middle of the street (a couple of times). 

My only word of caution is that it's a big investment and once one thing goes on it, it's done.

Jan 28 06 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Japonesque makes some really nice ones with handles that will roll,just check
out there website.

For an inexpensive makeup case for my around town stuff..fishing tackleboxs work great. Lots of different sizes and compartments,and the tackleboxs are lighter weight then the traditional metal containers.

Jan 28 06 09:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

When i work in Film i need a set bag , and I found a great alternitive and much cheaper (prince not quality) one at home depo, it has removable compartments and wheels and its machine washable . I love it smile

Jan 28 06 09:51 am Link

Model

Jacqueline F

I purchased a rolling duffle bag and organized it with containers. Works great, easy for travel... less gets broken when I am on the road and was inexpensive. $40.00 at costco for very nice one. Most of the make-up artist here in LA use them.

Jan 28 06 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

i had the walmart tool box thing it lasted 4 years and i do all the traveling and bit up stairs downstairs ... the sides that held the top and bottom together did break and were unreliable after broken but for 4 years use and only a 40 buck investment it worked i cant fuss too much....
things i did love about it though is your stuff stayed in place...

i got a new official makeup artist train case for christmas its pretty and it looks great on the outside but i find the moveable seperators are crappy they dont lock in to hold your stuff inplace at all... so if your case tips over all your makeup will be a wreck inside when you go to open it... this one does hold more but its still not big enough to take me down to toting one thing i still have to carry a seperate bag full of hair products.  this case cost 169 plus tax

well thats my take on the pros and cons

Jan 28 06 10:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Thanks everyone!
And Deadly, I think I have that same bag from Home Depot!! It is the best.
This is going to take some thinking.  Because I want to find a compartment for the airbrush stuff, as well.  Maybe I will design my own..

Jan 28 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Okay... to think outside the box as it were would suit you best.
To go hand in hand with another thread I just saw "travelling internationally with your kit"... this suits you there too.

First start with a PELICAN case (yes the one the photographers use.)  You can get it with either "pick and pluck" foam (which would not suit you) or dividers.

Sizes vary from laptop size... to huge rolling trunks.  They are durable, unbreakable, weather and waterproof, and you can sit on them between shots!

If you went to "The Container Store"... you could find smaller units to have inside the case as well.... or just geta glue gun and glue things inside as desired.  The 4 artists I have suggested this to in the past love them... and look super cool showing up with just a Pelican!

-SB

Jan 29 06 04:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

I got a toolbox from Home Depot that is my work horse... different than the one that Deadly got. It's got a good sized tool box on top with a tray, a mid section that has one long deep drawer and eight medium drawers, then the bottom is 17.5 inches high where I keep my airbrush compressor, ext.cord, hair stuff, large bottles, and special effects things. It has a handle that also comes off, has large dolly wheels and is made for tools so it withstands heavy weight. Yet when broken down, fits in the car. $89. It is a problem to take upstairs because of how heavy it can get. But it can be separated into three sections and carried upstairs. Make sure the bottom will fit in your trunk tho....

Jan 30 06 12:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Jan 30 06 01:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

makeupartsy wrote:
this is a lot cheaper than exactly i bought from cinema secret Japonesque barnd which for me $370

MC-933

• Soft-sided, 3-piece stackable case
• Main section with four zippered, removable pouches
• 3 zip down exterior pockets
• 2 sets of all aluminum accordion tiered trays
• Total Dimensions Closed with all components:16" x 24" x 21 1/2"
•  Middle Section Trays: 7" x 10 1/2" x 1-1/2"
• Detachable wheel trolly
• Padded double web handles
• Overlocking latches with keys
Our Great Price: $312.50

The same thing happened to me, but I contacted Japonesque directly...and they sent me a new one!  I'm on my 3rd sad
but, nothing holds more.

Jan 30 06 01:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

You all really rock!
SB-That sounds totally cool.  I'll have to look into it.  I have alot of things from the Container Store and have been very pleased.  They make wonderful stackables for foundations and loose pigments.
PicturePerfect, that sounds cool, as well.  But the weight of it would kill me.  I am sometimes lugging my kit up and down the subway steps and that is mur-der.  I can just see myself trying to get through Union Square during rush hour...
Something similiar to that, but lighter.
Thank you so much everyone.

Jan 30 06 07:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

D.Marie Beauty

Jamaica, New York, US

I have had every makeup case you can think of. I begged my mother for the fancy silver case with the locking trays and wheels. i did not even get a year out of it. It's too heavy. Getting it in and out of my car was always a problem and then the locks on the trays broke. Just get a pullman style suitcase and you will be alright.

Jan 30 06 03:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I shamelessly tote my Craftsman toolbox with its gazillion compartments, little storage connector bag, flip out storage bowl, and removable top stoage... WITH ZERO REMORSE. Its yellow and black... so its not the hottest thing out there, but its incredibly durable, lots of room, easy to carry, easy to roll, telescoping top, and best of all $24.99 at Walmart.
Its not about the way it looks for me so much as how well it works...
Just a suggestion.

*EDIT: its also about 3 feet tall and about 2 wide

Jan 30 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Also Home Depot has some pretty aluminum ones for less than $50,

Star

Jan 30 06 11:04 pm Link