Forums > General Industry > Glamoucon Pros and Cons

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I went to one 2 years ago in Chicago. Needless to say i'll never do another one.

Pros:
Met some net models who have now become net friends, we laughed, danced, shot and chased off a stalker.

Got to see a lot of models (Playboy, net, various mags) that I came across online but never got the chance to interact with.

Watching girls do outrageous things to sell their items or just draw attention to themselves... Oh trust me, that's a good thing from my perspective. lol

Cons:
Stalker haven.

Old, dried up models well beyond their prime still trying to sell the 50 copies of whatever magazine they were in that are so old that the pages have turned yellow.

Seeing the same set of guys for three days straight still trying to lure the same model(s) for the third day straight to their room for a "photoshoot."

No music in the ballroom.

The cattiness between the models.

No set criteria. It's like being at the flea market.

Overall though, the afterparty scene was the best thing that happened.

So, who's going? Who wants to add in their input?

Jun 10 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

In my humble opinion, it's a fun time. I don't really expect to gain any clients from going but it's fun to see familiar faces and new ones.
I had done some press photos for Bob last year. It was a nice way for me to chat up some of the models and maybe they wouldn't throw away yet another business card from a photog, hehe!
I'll prob get a hotel room this year and try once again to get some shots in the sauna and pool. Other than that it's just eye candy...

Rich

Jun 10 05 12:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Stalker haven.....

....Old, dried up models well beyond their prime still trying to sell the 50 copies of whatever magazine they were in that are so old that the pages have turned yellow....

...The cattiness between the models....

[stalkers] That's where the best ones come from...

[old models] Pitiful that vanity is such a b**ch to deal with...

[cattiness] Oh yeah...  it happens to the best of 'em... Some start out as nice sweet normal people, people that everyone likes, then they turn to vain ego driven little b*****s.

Jun 10 05 12:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

I think they all need to remember:

"For every pretty girl, there is one out there prettier.,"

and

"For every ambitious young model, there is one out there younger and more ambitious."

Jun 10 05 12:57 pm Link

Model

Jade Jadore

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am going to give it one more try this year. I attended one in Chicago like 2 years ago ... yep, there was cattiness/whispers when I was walked by some models tables. I just ignored them and laughed!

I do admire the older models that are like 40 and up that are still doing their thing! Kudos!!!

As for stalkers ... they really need to get a life. I have had 2 within the last 3 years! ARG!!!

Jun 10 05 01:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Jade Jadore: 
I am going to give it one more try this year. I attended one in Chicago like 2 years ago ... yep, there was cattiness/whispers when I was walked by some models tables. I just ignored them and laughed!

I do admire the older models that are like 40 and up that are still doing their thing! Kudos!!!

As for stalkers ... they really need to get a life. I have had 2 within the last 3 years! ARG!!!

Well, hello...  look at you... You're georgeous... that makes you easy pickin's...  I have to be honest... If were there, I'd whisper too...  especially about them "D" cups... breast envy.. you know how it is... nothing personal.. just the rules of being female... we make our men miserable by bitching, we talk about each other... we eat crazy crap and then bitch about being fat...

Jun 10 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Posted by Reese: 

Posted by Jade Jadore: 

we make our men miserable by bitching, we talk about each other... we eat crazy crap and then bitch about being fat...

Holy Shit... I think I was married to you once... LOL!

Jun 10 05 03:39 pm Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

Bey, I love ya. We even shared a room. But I agree with ya...old, dried up models trying to still do their thing (mostly playboy). etc, etc...

I'm going to be in Chi town this august..share a table, if you want. Regardless of your issues, you are stil # 2 with me (god is #1).  You are right at what you say.

Good lord, cali was WORSE...don't even let me talk about that...

Too many playboy models. I was next to Dita von teese..but good LORD...it's like HELL.

I dunno about GC..there are so many other conventions that are cheaper, etc..and that will help you out more.

Hmmm.

Sun

Jun 10 05 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Sun Karma: 
Bey, I love ya. We even shared a room. 

I was raped.

Jun 10 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Jade Jadore: 
I am going to give it one more try this year. I attended one in Chicago like 2 years ago ...

I never forget a face. I think I spoke to you and you looked at me like I was some FWC (fan with camera) or something. i don't blame you though, there was a lot of them out there.

Remember the guy with the fungus on both sides of his neck?

Jun 10 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

I met Dita and got a picture with her.  definite pro.  that is all i cared about. 

Jun 10 05 09:21 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have never been to the Glamourcon, I was thinking this year I might go to see what it is all about.

Jun 12 05 07:30 pm Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

Don't get a table...walk around and distribute your stuff. It's much cheaper (like entrance fee which is like 25.00) and you get to mingle more!

Jun 12 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I heard Glamourcon alot theses past couple of weeks but what excatly is it?

Jun 12 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by kavonna: 

The one in Chicago is really a bunch of old dried up has beens peddling yellow pages of magazines they appeared in long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

There's SOME nice people there, but the one you want to hit is the one in LA, so I hear.

Jun 13 05 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by kavonna: 

The one in Chicago is really a bunch of old dried up has beens peddling yellow pages of magazines they appeared in long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

There's SOME nice people there, but the one you want to hit is the one in LA, so I hear.

LA is the same! It was designed for fans who want to see their favorite Playmates, internet models, etc... and get autographs or pictures taken.

Jun 13 05 10:09 am Link