Forums > General Industry > What Does A Photographer Look Like?

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well there are two looks:

The digital photographer: Short, but unkept hair, needs a bath, cig and a bit over weight (also under 30)

The "Real Photographer": Long unkept hair, thin, nervous and keeps checking pockets in their bush jacket, red nose from drinking, stains from Polaroids on their hands and wearing their Rolex Exploer ll.....

Real photographers do not wear barets unless they shoot glam. and then they are not real photographers anyway

Jun 11 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

Contessa HoneyWillow

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Thomas Oed: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Lemi: 

For some reason, I try to stay away from the younger photographers, because if someone is closer to my age, it just makes things that much more uncomfortable.

Why???

Is there sexual tension or something?

In my experience, yes, a lot of it is.  There was a photographer that wanted to work with me who was about 26, and engaged.  He invited me up to check out him and his fiance's gallery and the whole time, he was flirting with me in front of her, trying to get me to stay the night, since I live about an hour away >_<  Yea, his fiancee did not look too happy.  As far as I know...they're not together anymore.

So, just one experience?

No, it wasn't just one experience, but that one takes the cake.  Especially after I found out he had an Asian fetish.  Younger photographers tend to think that I'll want to hang out with them afterwards or they'll want to take me on a date or something, and it's hard to draw the line when someone is around the same age as you.  But hey, eveyrone has to start somewhere, right?

Relating your experience with this guy to his age is absolutely absurd...  you think he's gonna be any less of a wierdo when he's 40?!?

Speaking from experience as a guy who will turn 40 himself all too soon.. I'm every bit as strange as I was when I was 26... or 20 for that matter!!  lol

-Thomas-

Well, in my experiences with younger photographers, most of them wanted to have some sort of social contact with me afterwards, while the older ones I have worked with are very professional.  Or maybe they're just better at hiding it?  Ok, all joking aside, the one time I did accept a social invitation from a photographer, a year later, we're still together and doing very well.  I'm not saying all younger photographers are horrible to work with, just that with some of the one's I happened to work with, they expect me to want to hang out with them and party or something.

All I'm saying is that it makes me a bit uncomfortable. 

Jun 11 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Hmmm...

You know, there's nothing wrong with being friends. I'm friends with a few models. One thing that we have to remember in this business is that we are HUMAN first.

Jun 11 05 10:48 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
It's a shame a model has to resort to using reverse or crooked psychology in order to get a professional point across when simple, blunt and firm English communication coupled with a serious poker face should do the trick.

For Example: "I don't date, or go to bed with Photographers"

How did you know my line? Seriously, I have said that to many photographers, and I discovered...it actually works pretty damn well.
However, I also tend to like the photographers who put their artistic aspirations above their personal ones.
Strangly enough, these photographers are pretty much at least ten years older than me, with rare exception, and the exceptions were all professional artists.
after all, unlike models, photographers do not generally have ages or even photos on their site. When I walk into a shoot, it is based solely on phone/internet conversations and our mutual interest in each others artistic style. Based on these qualifications alone, age means nothing. Quality of picture and idea, everything.
And, the ones who have that down are mostly the old guys. lol.
Oh, and my boyfriend that I love completely is 20 years older than me (lol)

Jun 12 05 04:13 am Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

Posted by Lapis:

However, I also tend to like the photographers who put their artistic aspirations above their personal ones.
Strangly enough, these photographers are pretty much at least ten years older than me, with rare exception, and the exceptions were all professional artists.

i'm turning 32 in july...am i an exception? and i'm not a pro artist...

after all, unlike models, photographers do not generally have ages or even photos on their site. When I walk into a shoot, it is based solely on phone/internet conversations and our mutual interest in each others artistic style. Based on these qualifications alone, age means nothing. Quality of picture and idea, everything.
And, the ones who have that down are mostly the old guys. lol.

man 32 IS old...i gotta start hitting the gym again.

Jun 12 05 04:34 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

sorry...by pro artist I don't mean an artist who actually makes MONEY by their art...I mean someone who is driven by their art and has had it as a core part of their identity for a significant part of their life. As for the rest, I am speaking from personal taste, but I will look at your port now and give you a private assessment...IMHO, of course.

Jun 12 05 04:39 am Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

yaaay!

Posted by Lapis: 
sorry...by pro artist I don't mean an artist who actually makes MONEY by their art...I mean someone who is driven by their art and has had it as a core part of their identity for a significant part of their life. As for the rest, I am speaking from personal taste, but I will look at your port now and give you a private assessment...IMHO, of course.

Jun 12 05 04:41 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by edrickguerrero photography: 
yaaay!

Posted by Lapis: 

Such a good point that people lose...professional means this is what you do, not "how you make money" although wouldn't that be nice?

Jun 12 05 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

I had to weigh in on this one. What does a photographer look like? Does it matter? What does his work look like, thats the question you should ask. I have been a professional photographer over 20 years and am in my early 40's. But as an artist I have to keep up with current trends in fashion etc.
Now being married I think sometimes gives me a little more validity than a 20 something guy, who is single. But I still feel the main issue is their work. Since the advent of the digital SLR everyone who can turn a camera on thinks they are a pro photographer, but I'd like to see them in my darkroom do anything. Don't get me wrong, in the studio I shoot digital, but having the knowldege and background of shooting film and knowing the process and knowing how to treat models with respect and dignity is more importatnt than what a photographer looks like, don't you think?
Oh and by the way, my self portrait is on my website and this profile if anyone is curious!
Baronestudio.com

Jun 13 05 08:30 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

nope. don't look a photographer to me. (lol)

Jun 13 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
you missed my sarcasm before when i suggested you needed a tripod, becasue all your images are soft)..

i was wondering what the hell you meant https://lazyfuck.net/images/smilies/lol.gif

Jun 13 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

Posted by BlacklistVisual: 

I think the reason you don't see too many younger photographers is simply because it takes time to
A) Develop your style into something consistent and marketable
and
B) Actually find the appropriate venues/agencies/outlets to market your work to.
I didn't start shooting til I was 22.  I was cocky as hell and just knew that I'd make PDN's 30 under 30 issue by the time I was 25...
I just turned 27.  I still haven't made the issue, or been in contact with PDN at all, for that matter.  I've barely gotten to where I actually feel I have a consistent style/visual vocabulary and something to say with it. 
An illustrator once told me it'd take AT LEAST 15 years of hard work to create any type of artistic career... I'm starting to see that he's right - as much as I hate it.
Yeah, there's always some fluke to break the rule, but for every 1 teenage prodigy, there's 10,000 other guys who've busted their ass to get where they're at.
Hell...
Steven Meisel is seen as the "young bad-boy" of fashion...
the guy is damn-near 40.  Helmut Newton was still making work at 80 before he drove his Cadillac off a cliff - but his best work would've been done 20 years prior - that'd make him 60 when he produced at his peak...
It just takes time.
Which, I'm realizing, is kind of a good thing.  It's a way of weeding out those who aren't serious or committed.
So if it's what you wanna do, put in your time.

ill believe that; ive only been shooting for 3 years and it's never involved people, so adding the human element threw me for a loop especially because its so unforgiving [even in digital].

Jun 13 05 05:46 pm Link