Forums > Photography Talk > Cheap DIY reflectors?

Photographer

Keith_R

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 26 08 10:10 am Link

Photographer

jgstokes

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

white foam core board with crinkled aluminum foil on one side, leave as plain white on the other - very cheap but not nasty.

Mar 26 08 10:19 am Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jhono Bashian wrote:
We use foam core   1/2" x 4' x 8' white id about $40 a sheet and the solid black is about $45 a sheet.  I have taped 2 together so they hinge..  It makes a nice reflector or light modifier for neg lite...

i use almost the same set up.  i went with 2 white boards and then just painted the other sides black so i could have a solid black corner.  another thing i love is that the foam is thick enough, if you want you can pin a silver sheet of poster board to it if you want more of a crisp reflector.

Mar 26 08 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Keith_R

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 26 08 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

I may or may not be the first to mention this in this  thread, but Impact brand reflectors from B&H aren't exactly expensive. DIY reflectors tend to be a pain to use, especially on location.

Mar 26 08 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

martyx

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The car windscreen sun shields are the go as they are readily transportable and so flexible that they can be 'jammed' in to position both indoors and out. I have covered one side with white fabric which is friendlier than paint, think the fabric is the high gloss material used for bridal gowns.
I also carry and use 'space or thermal' blankets which scrunch up to give a diffuse reflector or straightened out for large scale bounce.

Mar 26 08 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

DarkPhotographyDesigns

Germantown, Maryland, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
As noted, foamcore makes a wonderful reflector. If portability isn't an issue, in fact, it's generally superior to most popup reflectors. In larger markets, you can find 4x8 foamcore in silver, as well as black and white.

Ugghh..  well,  not THAT portable! I bought a 4x8 sheet and came home with a 4x7 a lil bent out of shape! lol!! My Grand Prix GT seats dont fold down.. sad

Mar 26 08 09:43 pm Link