Forums > General Industry > How many shoots do you schedule per week??

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Since starting out about 6 months ago, I've been shooting 1-3 times per week with various photographers. That gets to be a little busy with a 40 hour work week as well. How do you guys schedule shoots? Do you have a set amount you will do per week or per month as your schedule allows? Sometimes I will only have a few days to prepare in between or before, but I'm trying to get as much experience in front of a camera as possible. A photographer reccommended trying to do 2 shoots per week. Is that too much, too little, or just right in you guys's worlds?

Jun 11 05 08:50 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

It's like a muse, sometimes it the creative bug that you release into the wilds. Pushing yourself beyond the true feelings doesn't always lead to great images, so don't shoot just for the skake of shooting millions of images only to come away with one great one. So ask yourself is it the quality of that one image or the large amount of things that makes that one great.

Jun 11 05 09:00 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

That's an interesting way to look at it and very true, Alex. When I first started out I wanted to get as many images as possible because I didn't have ANY. I still wanted quality but quantity was definately a factor then. Now I try to work with photographers that have the same vision and direction as me so the results will be the best for both of us.

Jun 11 05 09:43 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

0-2. I have a real job and an unhealthy internet obession to maintain.  How much a person feel comfortable shooting will obviously vary with the person. I prefer to shoot no more than 3 times a month because I try to put a lot of creativity into every shoot and yet, I'm not that creative.

Jun 11 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by theda: 
I prefer to shoot no more than 3 times a month because I try to put a lot of creativity into every shoot and yet, I'm not that creative.

I know what you mean. Sometimes its hard to think of new and creative things to do if you have too many shoots back to back. I know a lot of photographers like to have the models imput and ideas but sometimes I just feel like saying "It's your job to be creative. I'm just here to look nice." smile

Jun 11 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It really just depends on who's around and how they feel about working.  I'm always open to shoot myself and could do it everyday if I had the people...I'm never too tired, too busy or out of ideas.  Lately, I've been shooting once a week or so, which is pretty good.  I've also gone as long as six months without a shoot, so really one can never tell.

Jun 11 05 02:13 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Theda, LOL at the unhealthy internet obsession...I can relate! And yeah, 3 times a month seems like a comfortable number to shoot for. It gets crazy sometimes with 2 a week preparing outfits, poses, MU, etc.

Leila, Yeah, it takes SO much pressure off of us when the photographers already have lots of ideas in mind. That way we can fully concentrate on "looking bey-oo-tiful" LOL

Jun 11 05 02:18 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
It really just depends on who's around and how they feel about working.  I'm always open to shoot myself and could do it everyday if I had the people...I'm never too tired, too busy or out of ideas.  Lately, I've been shooting once a week or so, which is pretty good.  I've also gone as long as six months without a shoot, so really one can never tell.

Now see, Melvin...I think if I had 6 months betwen a shoot it would be like me starting over again from square 1! LOL But at the same time, I would keel over if I were doing this every day with the way my schedule is now.

Jun 11 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Well since I still shoot more "local" girls than actual pro models I have booked up to 10 in a single week. With the gaurantied ratio of no more than half showing up I ended up with 4 shoots that week and was quite pleased. If I were shooting real pro models than I never book more than 1 a week.

Jun 11 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

V_M

San Diego, California, US

1 to 8 a month, depending on my schedule.

Jun 11 05 02:33 pm Link

Model

The Beans

New York, New York, US

I'm a full time model so anywhere from 3xs to more per week.

Jun 11 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Daniel Hice: 
Well since I still shoot more "local" girls than actual pro models I have booked up to 10 in a single week. With the gaurantied ratio of no more than half showing up I ended up with 4 shoots that week and was quite pleased. If I were shooting real pro models than I never book more than 1 a week.

I see you use a variation of my "book 3 to get 1" method...It really works!

Jun 11 05 02:37 pm Link