Forums > General Industry > Model release

Photographer

Rising Moon Photography

Bowie, Maryland, US

If you shoot with a model more than once, do you have them sign a release for every shoot?

Jun 11 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Steve Bitanga

Los Angeles, California, US

yes! Each release is dated .. the pictures that are released are those pretaining to the date the release is signed! smile

Jun 11 05 10:48 am Link

Model

Delilah - Sixthessence

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

I usually sign a different release [oh well, just the date changes] for every single shoot. I think it's the best way.

Delilah

Jun 11 05 10:48 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Yes.

Jun 11 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Absolutely. Technically, a model release is only legally valid for a specific shoot, which is why the form is dated. Just because a model signs a release for me to use photos from a shoot I did today, does not mean they are signing away rights for all future shoots without any further releases.

In an extreme example, I once did a photo shoot in studio with a male model, and he signed a model release. Later that same evening, we were both at an opening event of a new clothing store, and I shot a few more snapshots of him there. Had I wanted to use those photos from the event for commercial purposes, I would have needed a second model release from him on the SAME DAY, because the first model release did not cover the circumstances of the later event, only the initial photo shoot.

Jun 12 05 06:09 pm Link