Forums > General Industry > YOUNG MODELS

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

Ok for some time I have had a policy about working with young models that included no to most except with parent present and I make sure that I attempt to preserve modesty and innocence. I have recently worked with a model and her mom who wanted to show off a bit of her sexy style. I think I did this and still preserved her youth in most of the photos.
I, however, have seen some images on here as well as with other photographers that border on too sexy for a child model.
My question for photographers and other models is at what age do you make the break between too young and old enough. I was approached by a mother of a 11 year old and her mother about doing some work - I looked at her pre-existing portfolio and much of it was what I would consider way too old for her age bracket. Just wondering how others feel about the whole thing...

Jun 11 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

I always have a purpose for shooting models. My purpose is generally what can her agency use or what can she use as a model to help her get with an agency. So that's generally my purpose. I think in answering your question, you too need a purpose and need to understand the business route or position of that particular model. For instance, at 14 you can shoot the girl as an adult if her stats match that of an adult model.

For instance, Kate Moss was 14 when signed with Storm and her first catwalk show where she played Lolita for John Galliano she was 15. Juliet Fowler was also 15 when she signed. Rachel Kirby started when she was 12 and worked the international fashion scene. Hannah Ware signed when she was 12 also. She was one of the youngest models in the business, and has appeared in most teenage magazines, and taken assignments in France, Germany, and the United States. In Paris, France, girls must be at least 16 to model. Elsewhere, most large, reputable agencies are reluctant to take girls or boys on to model adult clothes until they are 14. Most agencies keep a careful eye on their young protégées and try to protect them from the dangers.

I once shot a 15 yr. old for elite who needed lingerie for her book. The agent said to me "Fred, even though she's staying here in Chicago for the summer alone (in the models apartment) she's like my baby. She's special to me so please, please, make sure she doesn't wear anything that is too sexy. CK and some VS is ok but you know what I mean"

Jun 11 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I shoot for sexy and beautiful so i put a limit at 14..
lingerie is at 16..
But in any case im not shootin clothes i go for the look...
I work with many models at this age
They seem to like my work (:--

Quote From  ...e-mail from 14 year old..6/13/05

My mom has already told me that we are going to come to you one of these days not to far in the future. You are our number one got to have Photographer!

Jun 14 05 03:14 am Link

Photographer

geaphotography

Hollywood, Alabama, US

not a fan of shooting young girls there are plenty of women of age that want to be in pictures.i refuse to shoot any girls under age.

Jun 14 05 04:26 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i shoot a lot of underage young women..why? cause thier parents pay..its the one demographic that hires me without asking for TFP...

it's a delicate balance..i have been always been a bit conservative with underage models..moms and MUAs have brought me around a bit..

what age for what..depends on the maturity level of the underage model. but i still have a no-lingerie stance with underaged..quite frankly it doesn't help thier portfolios..
why shoot it? (and most legal aged models as well...)

sexy is ok as long as its a "cute sexy"..not a sultry mature sexy..and most know the difference.

Jun 14 05 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Interestingly enough, My prohibition of shooting nude minors got my SAG contract removed.

When TSI Games started filming models (topless) for our morphing software, we went to SAG to try and get our SAG contract. It is covered under their multimedia section, and we figured it would be a nice bonus for the models / actresses we were using.

We put out a casting call describing everything in detail, including the fact it involved nudity.

I got a letter, with headshot and resume from a 14 year old actress asking to audition.
I sent a letter back saying that because the part required nudity, I would not allow her to audition.

I got a nice letter from SAG stating that it is against SAG policy to exclude a minor from a potential role, based solely on her age, even if it involves nudity. The even went so far as to quote the legality of the shoot with a minor. (which is where I got the references from when I posted in the other thread about nudes and minors)

I told them in no uncertain terms that I would not allow a minor to shoot for the game.

They bounced me.

TSI Games can never again have a SAG contract for production. (At least that is my understanding of what they sent me.)

And all because I wanted to be morally right.

So now, You tell me.
If CK came up to you and asked you to shoot a 14 year old topless for their ad (and they have done that an ad with a topless 14 year old female in the past) would you as a photographer, turn them down?

If not, Then why would you turn down Becky and Mom that want it done?

And on that note, What is your opinion of a Mother/Daughter shoot where both are nude, and the Daughter is a minor teen.

(I specified Minor Teen because a pre-teen nude is normally not as sexually appealing, unless you are perverted, than a teen nude is.)

Jun 14 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Interestingly enough, My prohibition of shooting nude minors got my SAG contract removed.

When TSI Games started filming models (topless) for our morphing software, we went to SAG to try and get our SAG contract. It is covered under their multimedia section, and we figured it would be a nice bonus for the models / actresses we were using.

We put out a casting call describing everything in detail, including the fact it involved nudity.

I got a letter, with headshot and resume from a 14 year old actress asking to audition.
I sent a letter back saying that because the part required nudity, I would not allow her to audition.

I got a nice letter from SAG stating that it is against SAG policy to exclude a minor from a potential role, based solely on her age, even if it involves nudity. The even went so far as to quote the legality of the shoot with a minor. (which is where I got the references from when I posted in the other thread about nudes and minors)

I told them in no uncertain terms that I would not allow a minor to shoot for the game.

They bounced me.

TSI Games can never again have a SAG contract for production. (At least that is my understanding of what they sent me.)

And all because I wanted to be morally right.

So now, You tell me.
If CK came up to you and asked you to shoot a 14 year old topless for their ad (and they have done that an ad with a topless 14 year old female in the past) would you as a photographer, turn them down?

If not, Then why would you turn down Becky and Mom that want it done?

And on that note, What is your opinion of a Mother/Daughter shoot where both are nude, and the Daughter is a minor teen.

(I specified Minor Teen because a pre-teen nude is normally not as sexually appealing, unless you are perverted, than a teen nude is.)

I would find another reason to turn her down besides age and keep the SAG eligability.

Jun 14 05 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

I would find another reason to turn her down besides age and keep the SAG eligability.

It was kind of late for that.
I had already sent the letter saying no because of age.
My choices were to let her come and audition (meaning she would be filmed topless) or stick to my guns.
With DVT I know better. We now simply reply with, "Thank you for your interest. At this time, you do not meet the criteria for any of the characters we are casting for. If this changes, we will let you know."

They can not argue with that one.

:-P

Jun 14 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Very interesting story Ty, very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing and by the way, I'd shoot it in a heart beat. It's part of what I do, fashion.

Jun 14 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 
I always have a purpose for shooting models. My purpose is generally what can her agency use or what can she use as a model to help her get with an agency. So that's generally my purpose.

I agree with Fred and this is how I shoot.  Since I have a full time job with the Army and am not a "professional" photographer I shoot what the model needs.  I look at it like this...if the model needs it, then sooner or later I'm going to need it.  Or if I have it, I can rotate it out of my book so there are fresh shots ever few weeks.

Chris

Jun 14 05 11:01 am Link