Forums > General Industry > Travel Notifications...proper use of?

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I recently had a photographer who wanted to shoot me, but he wanted me to travel across county at my own expense. Well, if I had the cash, I'd go because he's a great photographer. But alas, I don't. Anyway, he suggested posting a travel notification on OMP seeking paid work. I've never used them that way before, I always posted them after I was booking for something, just for added exposure. So, is it improper to post a travel notification for someone you'd LIKE to do if you can arrange some paid shoots?

Seperate question I suppose...is there a genre of modeling when the model's main work is posing for photographers' personal projects and getting paid for it? I hardly ever expect a photographer to say to me, "hey, I want to shoot you for my book...what are your rates?" It has happened to me maybe twice but that is not what my online port is for. (although offers like that are MORE than welcome...haha)I post online to invite great photographers to want to shoot me...and then they recommend me to agents they know or clients who are working on a project.

I guess I'm wondering if I am not aware of a big part of "internet modeling."

Please excuse my typing if it is incoherent. I was in a lot of pain earlier so I had to take some pain meds.

Jun 11 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Actually dear, that's a good thing. I've even suggested it to some of my out of state models, though it was so they could make their money back and have something to do instead of sitting in a hotel room all day after we were done shooting. Might as well make some extra cash.

Don't be ashamed of it, just pick and choose your assignments carefully (as you already do, i'm sure) and you'll be suprised at how well it works out for you... Especially with your looks.

Do it... Go on do it. Do it. Go do it. Go on, do it. lol

Jun 11 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Angel it's perfectly legit. And your question about photographers paying to shoot, often for god knows what reason, is central to a topic I've been meaning to start for quite sometime. I think I'll do that tonight.

Jun 11 05 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

I travel about 250 days a year and stay in hotels most of that time.
Generally a client is paying for that in my fees. If I have a gig where the budget doesn't allow for my travel costs or it is tight, I post on forums and places like OMP to pick up some other work. My rates change once I have a paid gig that gets me to a location.

Sometimes models, won't be able to afford my travel fee, but they have contacts at a local hotel, or frequent flier miles that will get me to a particular location. 2 years ago I did this with a trip to Australia. I was already in Fiji and I got a call saying I was wanted down under. Well the model's best friend worked for an airline and it cost the model $50 to get me a round trip ticket from Fiji to Australia. Normally that is a $500-800 flight.

Use whatever way you can to get money. As long as it doesn't hurt you or anyone else.

Best of luck,
-bill

Jun 12 05 01:02 am Link