Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling and taxes - some guidance

Model

S_H

Madison Heights, Michigan, US

txmalemodel wrote:

You would be considered a Illinois non-resident who had income from Illinois sources.  That means you should file form IL-1040 along with schedule NR.  You may or may not owe any Illinois income tax depending on how much income you had from the state.

So, I just talked to the IDOR and the lady said that I would only have to file a IL-1040 plus Schedule NR, if any taxes were withheld, which I am pretty sure my agency didn't do (but I will double check just to be sure) Therefore, I just need to file my regular MI 1040.

Jan 19 11 11:54 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

I just found out about per diem meal and lodging deductions. Did you know you can deduct 50% of these? Why didn't anybody tell me sooner?!
50% of $71/day for food and
$150/day for lodging (on average it seems)

I don't really comprehend how this works since there is no way I spend that much. I feel like I'm cheating because I sleep at hostels and eat ramen. But I certainly won't argue with the feds.

This is taking so long to calculate my deductions I will have to finish another day. I am disorganized.

Mar 03 12 12:45 am Link

Model

Emilie Pontellier

Brooklyn, New York, US

This has been fascinating and extremely helpful to a newbie such as myself. Thanks to all!
Does anyone have a Los Angeles-area CPA they could recommend?
smile
Emilie

May 14 12 01:17 pm Link

Model

Briauna Mariah

New York, New York, US

This is very helpful.

I know this is a very old thread, but if anyone can answer this question for me, I will be appreciative!

Does anyone know, as a self-employed freelancer/contractor, what form do models have to fill out? I keep seeing stuff about 1040 for self-employed, which requires quarterly taxes, and then of course the 1099, which is what the agencies use. Which is right?

Nov 18 12 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Briauna Mariah wrote:
This is very helpful.

I know this is a very old thread, but if anyone can answer this question for me, I will be appreciative!

Does anyone know, as a self-employed freelancer/contractor, what form do models have to fill out? I keep seeing stuff about 1040 for self-employed, which requires quarterly taxes, and then of course the 1099, which is what the agencies use. Which is right?

As a self employed person, you would pay your taxes using the 1040.

If you are a business owner paying someone over $600 as an outside service, (for example, paying a contractor) then you are required to fill out a 1099, which tells the IRS you paid someone that money. They use it to track to see if the money paid to individuals matches up with the money they report making on their 1040.

So if you report you made $10,000 on your 1040, but the IRS receives 20 1099 forms from people that hired you and they total up to $20,000, don't be surprised when you receive that audit notice.

Nov 18 12 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Matt Knowles wrote:
As a self employed person, you would pay your taxes using the 1040.

Everybody pays their taxes with a 1040.  The issue, I think is the strategy to get teh most in terms of deductions.  A common strategy is to treat ones self as self employed in a business and to produce a Schedule C.  ON it you would declare all the income you received as a model and deduct all of the expenses associated with it. 

Another reason for the schedule C is that you will be subject to self-employment tax.  You will not have an employer contributing his share of FICA for you.

As for 1099's, those are forms that people will give to you if they are paying you, typically over $600 per calendar year.  Whether or not you get a 1099, you are still responsible for declaring all income.

The bottom line though is that the best place to get answers to these questions is from your CPA, Tax attorney or Enrolled Agent.  Tax questions are quite complex.  This is not the place to get advice.

The OP in this thread is a CPA, but she is no longer a member of this site.

Nov 18 12 08:53 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm curious, does an agency-repped model have to make over $600 with one client in order to get a 1099, or over $600 made through the agency gross (multiple clients)?  Do models get sent 1099 forms from their agencies, or from the clients? 

Either way, this is the first year I have to consider this for myself (yay!), so if anyone knows the answer, that'd be grand.

Nov 19 12 07:31 am Link

Photographer

DaveDavis

Manteca, California, US

Thanks for posting this!!

Nov 19 12 07:39 am Link

Photographer

DaveDavis

Manteca, California, US

model emily  wrote:
I'm curious, does an agency-repped model have to make over $600 with one client in order to get a 1099, or over $600 made through the agency gross (multiple clients)?  Do models get sent 1099 forms from their agencies, or from the clients? 

Either way, this is the first year I have to consider this for myself (yay!), so if anyone knows the answer, that'd be grand.

Nope, $600 total for the year, although I hear that law has changed and now the rate is lower. Check with your local CPA as other State, County and City regulations will also apply!

Agency representation makes no difference...

Nov 19 12 07:41 am Link

Model

angel emily

DaveDavis wrote:
Nope, $600 total for the year, although I hear that law has changed and now the rate is lower. Check with your local CPA as other State, County and City regulations will also apply!

Hi Dave, it does for me this year because all the work came through my agency so I was wondering who to expect a 1099 from, the client or my agency. Thanks.

Nov 19 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

DaveDavis wrote:

model emily  wrote:
Hi Dave, it does for me this year because all the work came through my agency so I was wondering who to expect a 1099 from, the client or my agency. Thanks.

If the agency wrote the check then the agency has to issue the 1099.  And it is the total of all money paid to you by the agency, not on a "per client" basis.

Nov 19 12 08:51 am Link

Model

angel emily

ei Total Productions wrote:

DaveDavis wrote:

If the agency wrote the check then the agency has to issue the 1099.  And it is the total of all money paid to you by the agency, not on a "per client" basis.

Thank you, that answers it for me! smile

Nov 19 12 09:04 am Link