Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Airbrush kits???

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

Hi,
Can anyone recommend good airbrush kits for doing makeup?  I know some are tempermental and break easily or get clogged so I would like to hear some opinions before I splurge.

Jan 30 06 07:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Try Dinair...you can buy pretty much anything you need,compressor,airbrush gun
or an entire package...although it is kind of pricy.

Do a web search an see what options are out there,and you'll probrably find
something just as good but a less expensive.

Jan 30 06 08:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

I bought the Dinair setup after working with it at a trade show. It is very user friendly, easy to clean, compact, quiet, and the correct psi for doing the eyes, eyebrows, lips, face etc... I've used it for body painting and for face painting. You can go on www.dinair.com and read about it. She also has classes and it comes with a cd on how to do it.

Prior to using that I used a Paache which is a great brand, but the compressor was too loud and very heavy, it wasn't as easy to have 6psi either.... I found I could do alot more detailed work with the Dinair.

Jan 30 06 08:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kett and Temptu make kits specifically for makeup. The compressors are very light to carry around. Sometimes these companies give free workshops to promote their products and I believe they both have websites. They also promote their own brand of airbrush makeup.

Jan 30 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Check out art supply stores. 

Dick Blick - http://www.dickblick.com/ - has package deals.

Jan 30 06 08:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

thanks everyone!

Jan 31 06 06:08 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

If you have time and patience you can do alot better by building your own kit from dixie art or bearair (both have .coms) Dinair can work very well for beginners but is VERY expensive and so is their makeup.

(One of these days I'll get around to a FAQ post, I promise)

~Rich

Jan 31 06 09:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Thank you Rich!!
Not everything needs to come packaged in a beautiful little kit.  I love BearAir.  They have wonderful service and the catalog is so helpful.
I have 2 airbrush guns, right now.  The cheap one I bought to see if I liked airbrushing.  (And it works just fine) and my Iwata which is like butt-ah, I tell you.
I have a regular compressor and I can easily regulate the psi.
I have used everything from samples Kett sent me to BritonColor to Mac face and body to Bobbi Brown through my airbrush.  Don't get holed up in the whole package deal.
Just remember, this is not a whole entire new way of doing things.  People have been airbrushing forever.  It is being capitalized on because it is relatively new in terms of applying makeup.  It is not a secret, it is just a different way of applying foundation or body paint.  Do lots of research.

Feb 01 06 07:36 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

It has been around a while. I once talked to Mr. Westmore (Westmore Acadamy dude) and he thought he was doing something unique by airbrushing Daryl Hannah for Bladerunner. Then he was digging through some old photos and found a pic of his dad airbrushing actors for Gone With The Wind. And that is not to say that he was necessarily the first!

I've been using old T&C Vega2000's for years, but they don't make them the same anymore. I just did my first job with a bank of new Iwata Eclipses and WOW! They need a bit more pressure so for fine work around the eyes, I don't know, but for bodypaint they REALLY kicked butt, cut my time by a chunk and gave me better detail over all. The client was pleased wink

When I started Dinair was the only kit I could find and they were at like $3000 or something absurd like that...luckily I've been airbrushing way longer than I've been doing makeup. It does take time though, to learn what you need and for those without time, a kit is probably the way to go.

Feb 01 06 10:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

There is a company called KopyKake (kopykake.com) that does small airbrushes and compressors for cake decorating, about 10 PSI. The whole system is a hundred and fifty bucks. It's a great one to learn on before graduating to a more expensive one.

Feb 01 06 11:59 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Chris Mills wrote:
There is a company called KopyKake (kopykake.com) that does small airbrushes and compressors for cake decorating, about 10 PSI. The whole system is a hundred and fifty bucks. It's a great one to learn on before graduating to a more expensive one.

Sounds pretty good for eyes and such, but 10PSI would not cut it for most bodypaint/effects use (for those who are interested). Most food colors are as thin as water, makeup tends to be much thicker. Good info though.

Feb 01 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I guess the ol` Badger system is out huh,LOL.

Anyway, do any of you recall the CO2 catridge based airbrush makeup set put out around Halloween last year? I think Revlon made it. I saw it in the MU section at a big drugstore actually. I thought that would be interesting to have around just for the heck of it.

Feb 01 06 12:24 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I guess the ol` Badger system is out huh,LOL.

Anyway, do any of you recall the CO2 catridge based airbrush makeup set put out around Halloween last year? I think Revlon made it. I saw it in the MU section at a big drugstore actually. I thought that would be interesting to have around just for the heck of it.

You can still buy Badger, but frankly most of the ones I have bought fell apart in short order. I also distrust anything that uses canned air.

Feb 01 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
You can still buy Badger, but frankly most of the ones I have bought fell apart in short order. I also distrust anything that uses canned air.

eh, the CO2 ones were just novelty basically, use it a couple times and toss it out. They put it out for halloween and it also had tattoo templates. Not something you would consider high end body painting and such,lol.They were around 10 bucks.

Feb 01 06 01:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

Los Angeles, California, US

I have an Iwata studio series compressor and an eclipse airbrush.....I love my kit and have used highly pigmented foundation which didnt clog it. (the compressor is just large and kind of heavy compared to all the small ones)

Feb 01 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
If you have time and patience you can do alot better by building your own kit from dixie art or bearair (both have .coms) Dinair can work very well for beginners but is VERY expensive and so is their makeup.

(One of these days I'll get around to a FAQ post, I promise)

~Rich

Rich... you're my hero! I am a Dixie Art junkie. I've bought quite a bit from them and they are quite reliable, reasonably priced and ship quickly as well. I have owned an Iwata HP-C professional illustration airbrush for a few years now, and adore it. I've yet to use it for makeup, but as it has several different needle sizes, and is gravity fed, it should work quite nicely. It's been amazing in my illustration and concept work. I'm planning to try it out with makeup on a concept shoot coming up in March though. Just want to try a few things out... should be fun! =-)

I forgot to mention... I've used this airbrush on clothing and it's been really reliable with the thicker textile paints... although I use a nitrogen tank for the continuous air feed and drier air when working on clothing or illustrations. I rarely use my Iwata compressor, but it can certainly do the job. But... that's another story. I sure wouldn't use a nitrogen tank when applying makeup! lol.

... Andrea

Feb 01 06 11:01 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I'm bodypaint - very little makeup.
My most often used guns:
Iwata HP-C Eclipse for detail and what little makeup I do. 5 psi and up.
Iwata BCR Revolution for medium coverage. Higher psi, but MUCH further from skin, and not on face.
Using mostly Temptu lines right now.

Feb 02 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael Nightmare

Costa Mesa, California, US

what about recomendations for make up???

Feb 02 06 01:05 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
Thank you Rich!!
Not everything needs to come packaged in a beautiful little kit.  I love BearAir.  They have wonderful service and the catalog is so helpful.
I have 2 airbrush guns, right now.  The cheap one I bought to see if I liked airbrushing.  (And it works just fine) and my Iwata which is like butt-ah, I tell you.
I have a regular compressor and I can easily regulate the psi.
I have used everything from samples Kett sent me to BritonColor to Mac face and body to Bobbi Brown through my airbrush.  Don't get holed up in the whole package deal.
Just remember, this is not a whole entire new way of doing things.  People have been airbrushing forever.  It is being capitalized on because it is relatively new in terms of applying makeup.  It is not a secret, it is just a different way of applying foundation or body paint.  Do lots of research.

I use the Iwata too, and I loooove it! smile  How do you go about getting samples from different companies?  (I'm a makeup artist too, I'm on my model account, lol)

Feb 02 06 01:07 am Link