Forums > General Industry > What's a Muse?

Photographer

vlad voloshin

New York, New York, US

What is a Muse?

Originally, this meant to signify and goddess or power presiding over art or something that moves an artist.
According to Hollywood, "Muse" : she is a batty, blonde chick with a predilection for Tiffany's jewelry smile
I actually knew one very smart girl who claimed to be a "muse" and had a circle of men around her (photographers, writers, filmakers) who supported that claim.
But why a muse have to be a young woman?? So could it be a cute guy with rippling muscles and an 8 inch smile)?
Do models have muses? What are they?
When was the last time you had a visit from one? Have you ever looked for one?

Jun 12 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Muses.....they come in all shapes and sizes...and they are in both sexes.....It's not the physical attration of this muse, but how they bring out the creativity in the indiviual. It could be as simple as your muse making an statement of what you are doing at that time or a simple sujection of " Let's try this". I have found my Muses in average people on the street to a model that makes my desire to shoot them for 16hours straight and find the beauty in the first shot and watch it last unil I am out of film or in this digital age....ooops  full memory. So there is not one form of Muse and if you think they are only Greek Myth....just look at the person you last shot with....there you'll find your Muse.

Jun 12 05 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

16 hours straight-Glad to see im not the only crazy guy out there!!
(:----

Jun 12 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Muse...the male version of a Fuse *g*

I'm bored again.

Jun 12 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by vlad voloshin: 
Have you ever looked for one?

i am always..constantly... looking for a muse..

Jun 12 05 02:33 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

muses are difficult cause they cannot be bought sold or processed, and they do not want to buy sell or process anything but the ephemeral hay that comes out of the tower of the artists mind...and that they want to spin into gold. brownie points for those who get both allusions there...and perhaps a visit from your local muse. lol.

Jun 12 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

vlad voloshin

New York, New York, US

Lapis wrote: "they cannot be bought sold or processed, and they do not want to buy sell or process anything but the ephemeral hay that comes out of the tower of the artists mind...and that they want to spin into gold."

Wait i thought Muses supply emphemeral hay and then the artist supposed to spin it into gold smile)

Jun 12 05 03:10 pm Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Mr. Webster's definition is...
Muse n [ME, fr MF, fr L Musa, fr Gk Mousa] (14c) 1. any of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over song and poetry and the arts and sciences. 2. a source of inspiration, a guiding genius.

A muse in the second part of that defination can be found almost anywhere.

Rumplestilskin asked the princess to turn hay into gold using a spinner.  Do I get half a brownie point?

Jun 12 05 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Jun 13 05 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

what is amuse?

to cause laughter or mirth is to amuse, to relieve bordom and alleviate the fatigue of everyday life

used in a phrase?

_______ used her ________ and _____________ with her friend __________ who I always thought was ____________ while standing on a ____________ and __________ dixie, I thought that while it was _____________ they were very ____________ and all in all it was very a muse ing

Jun 13 05 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Humans claiming to be muses are impostors ...

Jun 13 05 07:53 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

yes, because those immortal ephemeral muses are much more real.
Usually when people label themselves anything it is not as well taken as people who are labelled things by others, and people who toot their own horn in any way are often imposters or at least dilettantes. However, I believe that there are muses who are human.

Jun 13 05 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

vlad voloshin

New York, New York, US

no kidding that there ar human muses you can make up a huge list
Galya Dali/former Ms Elluard,  Lilya Bric (for a bunch of Russian poets, artists), Weston was obsessing over several such muses over his lifetime, G. O'Keeffe was Stieglitz's muse , Lee Miller for Man Ray, the list goes on and on

Jun 13 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

chas fenoughty

London, Arkansas, US

the best muses were Salma Hyekk and Jason Lee in Kevin Smith's Dogma!

"Artist? Elvis was an artist, you're just a schmuck"

ha ha

Jun 13 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

they are an inspiration to drive forward ideas and  visions in one`s artistic mind and be able to realize them as we (photographer`s) do in any media we use.....(male or female) they make the impossible real sometimes and do it at a beckon call, which comes from the heart and don`t have a gun held against their heads, their magic is  something that is`nt planned it just happens......they are like a rare flower that only grows at high altitude's, but don`t hold your breath.....they don`t come round everyday

Tom

Jun 13 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Pinky: 
Mr. Webster's definition is...
Muse n [ME, fr MF, fr L Musa, fr Gk Mousa] (14c) 1. any of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over song and poetry and the arts and sciences. 2. a source of inspiration, a guiding genius.

A muse in the second part of that defination can be found almost anywhere.

2. a source of inspiration, a guiding genius.

Thats a "Pretty Broad" subject..(:----

Jun 13 05 05:06 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Personally I think a muse can be a male as well. I have been inspired by several men in my life.

Jun 14 05 07:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Alexandra Paris: 
Personally I think a muse can be a male as well. I have been inspired by several men in my life.

All the men I've been around have inspired me to be single and stay single... 

Jun 15 05 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

A muse is a person (usually considered an "attractive" female), who inspires an artist to create his/her art, often at a level that the artist could not otherwise create.

John

Jun 15 05 11:02 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by Reese: 

Sorry to hear that. But mostly I was talking about men like my dad, my husband and my brother. Ex-boyfriends are excluded from that.

Jun 15 05 11:31 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Reese: 

Posted by Alexandra Paris: 

I love it!

Jun 16 05 12:51 am Link