Forums > Photography Talk > Alien Bees....good enuf???

Photographer

Keith_R

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Fear not! For this is only a (speed) bump!

https://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/kpbsmith52/DSCF0225.jpg

Apr 07 08 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Jones Photo

New York, New York, US

Bees Rock.  And they're at least as portable as the competition.

Apr 07 08 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:
I just ordered an AB800 (in boring "deep space black").

Should have it Thursday or Friday.

I will be using Softlighter II's and/or umbrellas for modifiers.

For the time being, I will be using existing Sunpak 383 flashes for fill, back, and hair lighting.

Shipped already!

Apr 07 08 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I got my first AB400 yesterday and I am more than satisfied with it but today I am going to order 2 AB800's and will probably trade the 400 back in for another 800.

My original thoughts were that 3 AB400's would work in a small studio, and they would, but I also know I tend to think bigger over time.

PS  Their shipping is fast.

Apr 08 08 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

My AB800 arrives Thursday.

Apr 08 08 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Enriquez Photo

Ricardo Palma, Lima Provincias, Peru

SCrude Photography wrote:
I was thinking about gettin 1-400 2-800s and 1-1600.....is this a good idea?

That is a lot of light, how big is the studio you are working in. I use two 300W (from another brand) because I have a small studio. But definitely go with the Alien Bees, I had them before and they were work horses. I switched because where I live now, the electric current is different and the electrtric transformer weighed a ton.. I had 1 800 and 1 400 and I never used it on full capacity.

Apr 08 08 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Keith_R

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
I got my first AB400 yesterday and I am more than satisfied with it but today I am going to order 2 AB800's and will probably trade the 400 back in for another 800.

My original thoughts were that 3 AB400's would work in a small studio, and they would, but I also know I tend to think bigger over time.

PS  Their shipping is fast.

Hi Stephen!
How big is your small studio? My home studio is 9.5' x 12' with an 8.5' ceiling. I bought a set of Bees about 5 years ago, including two 400s and one 800. I have never fired up all three of them at home because the space gets tight really quick. Anyway, I remember having a tad bit of buyer's remorse within the first year of my purchase, thinking that "Maybe I need to trade one of these 400s for another 800". These days, I only run _one_ Bee, and that one is a 400, and it never gets cranked up past 1/2 power. I shoot typically at iso200 and get f/8 at the subject. Any other lights that you see in my port are little battery flashes or one of my 5-in-one reflectors. If anything, I am thinking about dialing down to get f/5.6 in order to have a better balance with the battery flashes (or maybe just get stronger battery flashes that can be dialed down..).

If you have not already done so, you should get some Phillips Halogena light bulbs in 100w and 150w. The 100w halogena is most likely brighter than the 100w standard bulb that the Bees ship with, and the 150w halogena will give one stop brighter modeling than the 100w halogena. Sylvania and GE also make halogena-style bulbs. If you add the 800s as planned, then you will want to put the 150w halogena bulbs in the AB800s, and the 100w halogena in the AB400.

Apr 08 08 11:23 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Me on location 4/708 with my SINGLE AB light. 18+ BTW
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=6287737

Apr 08 08 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I had two alien bee 1600s for a while and they were great. Unless you actually need four lights you might want to just get a couple 1600s and tone down the power, as the levels are very adjustable.

Apr 08 08 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O N A T H A N

Chicago, Illinois, US

everything in my port shot with all bees

Apr 08 08 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The Bees are inexpensive and that is the reason you will not find them at rental houses. They need lights that can take a lot of abuse, that have consistant light output, not only from one pop to the next but one flash to another and cheap units cannot do that.
For a little more there are much better units out there, Speedo, Novatron, Hensel etc.

Apr 08 08 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

The thing I found very cool about the bees is that while I did end up deciding to get four White Lightnings and I wanted to keep one bee as a backup/beater/travel light and sold the other it went for about $30-$40 less than I'd paid for it, selling it on craigslist, cash deal the day after I listed it.  So it was like renting the light for $10/year.  The resale is just crazy-good - makes no sense at all to me but I'm happy to take advantage of it.

Apr 08 08 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Keith_R

Robert Helm wrote:
The Bees are inexpensive and that is the reason you will not find them at rental houses. They need lights that can take a lot of abuse, that have consistant light output, not only from one pop to the next but one flash to another and cheap units cannot do that.
For a little more there are much better units out there, Speedo, Novatron, Hensel etc.

How much is "a little more"? Are we talking 10-20% more? Are we talking about upwards of twice as much? How much is "a little"?

Apr 08 08 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Robert Helm wrote:

Keith R Smith wrote:
How much is "a little more"? Are we talking 10-20% more? Are we talking about upwards of twice as much? How much is "a little"?

It's kind of an odd list - Novatron monolights I believe are around $300-$600, and Hensels are more like $1200 I believe.  Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - that's from memory.

Apr 08 08 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

ian pool

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

got a handful of scattered friends that use AB's and I've yet to hear a complaint from anybody. If I could find some for rent honestly try 'em out, but I guess I'm stuck with profoto.
hey, there's holes in my pockets!

Apr 08 08 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

reformadigital

Sugar Land, Texas, US

I have 2- Alien B1600's and 1- ABR800 and I think they're great.  I also bought the Vagabond 2 Portable Power Supply so I could take my lights on-site.  I would highly recommend the Alien Bee's if you're on a budget and are looking for some studio equipment.

Apr 08 08 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Grisha

New York, New York, US

Are they good enough?

Yes

Are they the best?

No

Can you take great photos with them?

Yes

Are they the lightest mono available for the power?

Probably yes

Are they strong and durable for the weight?

Yes

Are they the best value for money?

Probably yes

Apr 08 08 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Me shooting on location with a single AB400 in a 24"x32" softbox,

https://www.leohoward.com/imagepost/mm/composite.jpg

this is the combination I have used for my most recent shoots, and it is working great, no issues as of yet.

I have been using PCB products going on 20 years now, I have never had an issue with any of their lights, and their customer service, is second to none.

Apr 08 08 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Salt and Pepper Sage

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My lighting instructor used Photogenics.  I have Sunpak MS4000s (for sale).  My studio mates have AB800s.  It was hard with the constant mixing of lighting sources, trying to match colors.  I have seen the AB 800s and they are 1) good enough for me right now, 2) some lighting is better than nothing when needed 3) reliable - in two plus years we have had no problems with the ABs. 

Don't let your budget stunt your creativity.  There are natural lighting gurus, and strobists here who might not be pleased with ABs.  There is the Hensel, Pro Foto, etc crowd who have $20,000 setups, but we are not competing with them - not yet at least.  If you win the lottery, go ahead and get the Pro Foto packs, a D3 w/spare, and whatever lenses you fantasize about. 

But for now, right now, the AB800s x 5 now are good enough, sturdy enough with sandbags and the same care I offer my lenses and bodies.  Somebody in town near you is using AB800s...ask around, try them out and have some fun.  The photos in my profile are with one AB400 w/softbox and grid and one AB800 w/Octabox. 

Luke

PS because some one is dying to know...Studio is 15' w x 50' l x 16' h

Apr 08 08 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Life Is Great Images

Bozeman, Montana, US

I have an old White Lightning, an AB 800 and an AB ringflash.

The White Lighting has an white exterior.  My newer strobes came in yellow plastic housings and have good slider controls.

Conclusion:  Only buy things that come in yellow housings.

P.s.  The ring flash beauty dish accessory is flimsy and requires one to assemble it as if erecting a miniature tent.  However, it is lightweight, cheap, portable and it works!  I think it is a clever, if plastic, product.   

On my port might be a shot of a model tasting wine that was shot with it while also using the old White Lighting bounced off the ceiling to wash out the imperfect wall background.

Apr 08 08 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

i like the ab zeus setup. i use it for 90% of my work.

Apr 08 08 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

The lights and batteries are great, stands and modifiers leave a lot to be desired

Apr 08 08 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Keith_R

No Bees were harmed while making this picture.

https://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/kpbsmith52/DSCF0224.jpg

Apr 09 08 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Keith_R

Fear not! For this is only a (speed) bump!

https://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/kpbsmith52/DSCF0225.jpg

Apr 09 08 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Update:  I put a Cashiers Check in the mail on Tuesday for two AB800's.  Today I got an email they will be here on Monday.

Did I mention they ship fast?

Apr 11 08 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Why not look at other products out there?  Hensel stuff is pretty good (but accessories are more expensive of course).

Apr 11 08 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
Update:  I put a Cashiers Check in the mail on Tuesday for two AB800's.  Today I got an email they will be here on Monday.

Did I mention they ship fast?

I emailed them yesterday asking about a replacement reflector for my ringflash.  I received an email saying that another one had shipped this morning and a follow up email from their customer service tellng me that it is still within the warranty period and that they would replace it.   The kicker?  I cracked it myself the last time I loaded my trunk when a light stand bounced against it.  They didn't ask.

Apr 11 08 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I use two AB800s and they work great.  Really easy to take anywhere, I've shot with them on a snowy mountain and in a filthy abandoned warehouse.  I need to eventually get a third 800, but that'll come.

They're not the best obviously, but they're a great investment for the future.

Apr 11 08 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

von francklau wrote:

I would advise anyone purchasing Alein Bees to buy all 800's. 

One reason is that working in the studio, you will hardly ever need the full power of the 1600's.  Even working events with large groups, I rarely shoot the 800's at full power.  The 400's are a bit limited in their usage...for the small money difference the 800's are the way to go.

Another reason is when you have all your lights the same power, you can use any light, anywhere in your setup, at any given time.

I use my AB1600 all the time. In the studio, it's generally set to 1/8 power...

but outside, being able to match the sun's intensity is quite a plus. The AB800 won't quite do that.

I'm about to order 2 more 1600's.

The only reason to order the 400's or 800's is if you insist on shooting with large aperatures (2.8-5.6).

Apr 11 08 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Keith_R

Smedley Whiplash wrote:
I use my AB1600 all the time. In the studio, it's generally set to 1/8 power...
but outside, being able to match the sun's intensity is quite a plus. The AB800 won't quite do that.
I'm about to order 2 more 1600's.
The only reason to order the 400's or 800's is if you insist on shooting with large aperatures (2.8-5.6).

If you are generally setting your AB1600 to 1/8 power in the studio, then that translates to using an AB800 at 1/4 power, or an AB400 at 1/2 power. I have an AB800 and a pair of AB400s. I generally use one AB400 in studio, and that hardly ever gets cranked up past 1/2 power. The AB800 stays in the travel case. Just for reference, I commonly get f/8 @ iso200 at my normal light to subject distance at 1/2 power with the AB400. Sunlight can be tamed with high speed sync. Look up "This is how I do it", by Ransom _The Cheese_ J, and see what he did with an ancient WL10,000 and a Sony Cybershot (I forget the model, but he referenced it in his thread).

Keith R

Apr 11 08 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

T Cameron

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I just ordered the digibee set. Two 800's. Got em in hot pink! I wonder if this is the first order ever to go out in the pink haha. I'll definitely have an original look. I figured the color would always make a good conversation piece to lighten the mood with the models and also make it not feel so cold and sterile. They will feel a little more comfortable.

Do you think I'll be fine with two of them? Some day I'll pick up more I suppose but for now I need to make do with two.

May 28 08 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Waynesglamgirls V

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SCrude Photography wrote:
Hey everyone....I have been renting different lights for my portrait work...unfortunately I can't seem to find Alien Bees lights for rent....but their price looks great for the 4 light kit. Do any of you use them and can you back up their quality? Are they good for portrait work? Can they run on Pocket Wizard Plus II system? I was thinking about gettin 1-400 2-800s and 1-1600.....is this a good idea?

Thanx

Chris~

Alien Bees are  so cheap to buy why would anyone rent them?

May 28 08 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I don't shoot Glam, but the stuff in my port here, and on my site where with B's

May 28 08 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Happy owner of 2 AB800's and a Vagabond II.

Entire top port row and leftmost three in second row were shot with AB800's.

May 28 08 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I have small space and any other indoor spots I wouldn't want to take up a lot of space and would want pretty reasonable ease of portability, would the beginner bee package be a good one to get?

May 28 08 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Taryn True

Union City, New Jersey, US

i dont use alien bees, or anything of name brand. i hae cheap crap from ebay. and mad skillz.

May 28 08 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Miglionico

West Boylston, Massachusetts, US

I've been using a single AB B800 for a few years and it has been a good light for the most part (almost everything in my port was done with it) BUT, I do have to say it hasn't been without problems. There has been an issue with the cooling fan rubbing against something internally. It still works and I never bothered to return it, but it made a horrible grinding noise especially when I had a soft box mounted on it. Just recently, I also started getting a small electric shock when I touched the front metal plate, so I decided to "retire" it and got a white lightning X800. I may still use the AB if I'm in a situation where I need a second or third light (I have a Nikon SB800 I use now as well as a slave for hairlights etc)

May 29 08 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

von francklau wrote:

I would advise anyone purchasing Alein Bees to buy all 800's. 

One reason is that working in the studio, you will hardly ever need the full power of the 1600's.  Even working events with large groups, I rarely shoot the 800's at full power.  The 400's are a bit limited in their usage...for the small money difference the 800's are the way to go.

Another reason is when you have all your lights the same power, you can use any light, anywhere in your setup, at any given time.

Ditto

May 29 08 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Michael Devon

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I am a bee keeper also...customer service is great and they are good enough for any type of work.

May 29 08 07:02 am Link

Photographer

ImageGenic

Conroe, Texas, US

Everyone on here seems to LOVE AB's ....

Well I don't like them for three reasons....

1NE is that speedring lock thing design ... the flashtube is too vunerable/prone  to accidental breakage IMHO when changing modifiers.  Other designs I see and use, the flashtube is recessed, or protected better.

2WO is where the slave sensors stop working when you have a Pocket Wizard plugged in?  This would never work for me, as I use two different brand radio triggers (at present, later I will upgrade to PW exclusive) ... a PocketWizard is plugged into one light and a generic is plugged into the other. My Sekonic trips one light and the slaves then fire the others, and my camera fires the other light which then fires the others.. I don't think I could use this set up with AB lights, I would have to buy at least one additional PW.  But I generally don't replace perfectly good working equipment.. I tend to use it until it dies, or is totally obsolete. I may NEVER get that second PW!

3RE I like the audible beep my lights put out after they recharge .... Sounds (excuse the pun) more impressive I think to clients .... especially when you have a large group of lights and beeps going off after every flash.

The customer service at Paul Buff is perhaps the best in the industry however ....

May 29 08 07:08 am Link