Forums > Photography Talk > New scam using complex magazine as the job offer.

Photographer

Import EyeCandy Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

AMANDA EWENLA INC         to importeyecandystudios

Hello photographer/model,

How are you?My name is James Amanda,a freelance model/photographer scout.
I just got appointment to work with complex magazine,and i am so pleased to be emailing you if you are an aspiring photographer or you have chosen photographer as a way of living,i then invite you to the our photographer recruitment that will be coming up shortly.In this email.Note that this is a payjob and you will be paid for this,we want you to take part in the shooting of our new edition of complex magazine.If interested,Get back to me asap for full details!

Regards
James amanda
Model/photographer scout
www.complex.com

My reply:
importeyecandystudios        to AMANDA
I am really insterested in being part of this assignment. Please email me more info regarding the job offer. Also my contact info is listed below. Thank you very much.

His reply:

Thanks for the response,
Note that we want you to sign a contract with us and here is the details...
As regards to our magazine by name complex magazine coming up shortly.
Its a big and popular magazine that deals with showcasing the celebrities in the states(USA and THE WORLD),where in this project,we are offering you a chance to showcase your talent and will  be paid for this.
We need to work with you after taking a glance at your ad on MODELMAYHEM,we see that you could be a good photographer and we are ready to give you the whole exposure you ever wanted.NOTE THAT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGIT
YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE YOUR LOCATION AS WE WILL BE WORKING WITH YOU IN YOUR LOCATION WITH OUR model/mua
                                        WHAT TO DO
      We need you to have a contract with us to be our photographer in the forth-coming new edition of our margazine.
     We will also be using your picture for the front and back page of this magazine(complex magazine)
Also,we need you to be our special guest on that day that we will be launching this margazine.
                                           COMPENSATION
    You need to understand that this is a payjob and will fetch you 500$ for agreement of this contract.
Also,you will be working with us for 3 days and you will be paid 1100$ on daily basis basis.
Note that every expenses will be on us including transport,feeding.
    Note that payment will be via check and your payment will include payment for the MODEL and MUA that you will be working with,so as to make sure we all work together such that no one is left behind.
Also note that we do not do nude here as we are socially responsible.
DATE:4-12-2008
IF you agree to this contract please,fill out this form below
                                 COMPLEX MARGAZINE
DATE OF THE SHOOTING AS SCHEDULED:4-12-2008
Contract Application form
FirstName_______________________________
LastName_______________________
ContactAddress_______________.____________________________________
City________________________
State________________________
Zipcode__________
Mobilephone#___________________
Workphone#________________
Age________
Social Security#_______________ (optional)
1: Do you have a job? _____________________________
2: If yes,what do you do for living?
activate a yahoo account).
NOTE THAT ON FILLING OUT THIS FORM,YOU HAVE COMPLETELY AGREED TO WORK WITH US.

Very Respectfully,
James Amanda
model/photographer scout
www.complex.com

My Reply:
I have a question? Can you email me a real contract and when should I expect the check for this assignment? Also who's the model and can you send me pics of her so I can get a feel for her look. 1 more thing whats the location for the shoot? Since it is less than a week away. Also do you have a number I can reach you at?

His Reply:
I will have a contract to you first thing monday morning along with images of the model and the shoot location. I'm currently in london so I dont have a contact number for you to reach me. I do need a address to mail the check to so you can cash it to pay for the location, makeup artist and model. The check will be made out to you for the amount of $15,000.00. You will be paid $1,100.00 a day plus a $500.00 signing bonus. Our staff really likes your work and hope to send more jobs your way soon.

My Reply:
Thank you and I look forward to your email with the contract and images of the model. I will be calling the magazine in the morning to get some ideas about the shoot from the editor. Im sure they will excited to hear from me reguarding you hiring me. Once again thank you.

Waiting on next reply: LMAO

Apr 07 08 02:46 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Old scam, new names.

Apr 07 08 02:51 am Link

Photographer

SCrude Photography

That is hilarious....yeah...you cash 15 grand and send her the difference...I have seen this scam a hundred different ways. Thanx for getting it out in the air for the photographers.

C~

Apr 07 08 02:57 am Link

Photographer

J C KUNSTFOTOGRAFIE

SCrude Photography wrote:
That is hilarious....yeah...you cash 15 grand and send her the difference...I have seen this scam a hundred different ways. Thanx for getting it out in the air for the photographers.

C~

Perhaps we should all send them vials of "natural male hand cream" for this jerk-off scam???

Apr 07 08 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

James Amanda wrote:
Also note that we do not do nude here as we are socially responsible.

Bah. If they were "socially responsible" they wouldn't be engaging in advance fee (419) scams.

Apr 07 08 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Shizam1

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well if you turned down this fabulous offer... do you mind if I go for it?  I could use the cash!

Apr 07 08 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Corporate // Contact Information
Do you have a question, comment, concern, suggestion or news tip to pass along to Complex? Email us at [email protected].

If you are a photographer/model/stylist and have been unexpectedly solicited to work for Complex, please verify the credentials of the hiring individual or company by emailing [email protected].

mailing address:
40 W. 23rd Street
2nd floor
NY, NY 10010

phone: 917-262-4000
fax: 917-262-3538

subscription services: (866)438-7539

either it's real or they are scammed often!

Apr 07 08 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Anything that starts with "How are you? My name is" is from Nigerian scam boilerplate script, just like ending with "God bless".

"Payjob"? - LMAO!

Apr 07 08 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

There are a couple people here in the forums with that same writing style, even the no space after commas and periods part.... Hmmmmm.... I'll be watching them much closer.

Apr 07 08 09:51 am Link

Model

Kamillah

San Diego, California, US

But darn I thought I was gonna get to model for burberry, this was in my email this morning,

Hello Model,

How are you doing?I am pleased to tell you that there is an open contract for you in Burberry clothing company,This is a payjob and you will be paid for this!

If you are interested,Get back to me for full details of the photoshoot.

Regards
Christopher Bailey(CEO,burberry clothing company)
Amanda ewenla(freelance modelling scout)
Burberry clothing company

I did some research and found out that Christopher Bailey used to be the  director or might still be but either way I knew it was a scam, they would have used my name and would I'm pretty sure they would tell me twice in one sentence that I am going to get payed.

Sep 16 08 11:35 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

take your email out of your profile and you'll get less of these

Sep 16 08 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Lynn Helms Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Kamillah  wrote:
But darn I thought I was gonna get to model for burberry, this was in my email this morning,

Hello Model,

How are you doing?I am pleased to tell you that there is an open contract for you in Burberry clothing company,This is a payjob and you will be paid for this!

If you are interested,Get back to me for full details of the photoshoot.

Regards
Christopher Bailey(CEO,burberry clothing company)
Amanda ewenla(freelance modelling scout)
Burberry clothing company

I did some research and found out that Christopher Bailey used to be the  director or might still be but either way I knew it was a scam, they would have used my name and would I'm pretty sure they would tell me twice in one sentence that I am going to get payed.

Not to mention that the CEO of Burberry might have other things to do, like - oh... run the company? And he can probably use proper punctuation, unlike me.

Sep 16 08 11:40 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Keep in mind that next week the offer could be from "Vogue" or whatever - the important thing is to recognize the pattern, not warn people about what magazine they're claiming to be from this week.

Sep 16 08 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Gellerman

Irvine, California, US

I just received the following email and after doing a search for "Amanda Ewenla" I found this posting.  Thanks for the heads up!
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Hello Photographer,

How are You?My name is Amanda.I am emailing you as regards your Ad on modelmayhem as i was directed By a friend.I am seeking a professional Photographer/camera person to come and cover the end of the year party in my place on the 29th of this month in TX.If you are interested,please get back to me,as you'll only work for the maximum iof 5 hours and you'll be paid the total of $800 for your work.Note that your traveling expenses would be on us and all other expenses.

Get back to me if interested.
Regards
Amanda

Amanda  Ewenla Wishes you Merry Xmas And Happy New Year In Advance!!!

Dec 21 08 11:21 am Link

Photographer

TimeSquare Models

Antelope, Montana, US

I just received a new version today:

Amanda Ewenla, Inc.

To: [email protected]

Hello Photographer,

How are You?My name is Amanda.I am emailing you as regards your Ad on modelmayhem as i was directed By a friend.I am seeking a professional Photographer/camera person to come and cover the end of the year party in my place on the 29th of this month in TX.If you are interested,please get back to me,as you'll only work for the maximum iof 5 hours and you'll be paid the total of $800 for your work.Note that your traveling expenses would be on us and all other expenses.

Regards
Amanda

Dec 21 08 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

I feel left out. How come I am not getting these? =P

Dec 21 08 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I got this one this morning

Hello,
I am Laurence Smith, UK. I have a Fashion job (Assignment) for you.
My client wants to update her Catalog with her monthly release Fashion outfits
and i am interested in you for the shooting. I am a Model Agent by profession
with about a few years experience. Find all details of the job,once you mail me
with your interest ..
Regards
Laurence Smith

I bet James Amanda and Laurence Smith are the same Nigerian!

Dec 21 08 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

J O N A T H A N

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ronald N. Tan wrote:
I feel left out. How come I am not getting these? =P

same here ronnie sad

Dec 21 08 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

WMcK wrote:
I got this one this morning

I bet James Amanda and Laurence Smith are the same Nigerian!

or sitting in chairs right beside each other anyways.

Dec 21 08 03:32 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Best to do the following:

Remove your email off your profile, if it's there.  It being there just increases your chances of getting scam emails like the above (and countless others).  If someone from MM wants to contact you, they'll do so via PM, where you can then share your email and go offsite if you wish.

Don't respond to scam emails.  It proves to them that your email address is active and valid, which gives them incentive to send more emails to the address, as well as sell the address to other spammers and scammers.

Dec 21 08 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

I got one of the more creative scams today. It was for you to be compenstated for scams from the "Scam Compensation Fund". You gotta love it, scaming the scams.

Dec 21 08 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

This particular scammer collects e-mail addresses on MM. I know because I have an e-mail address created and posted here just so MM people can register for my party. Eliminating your address from your profile or from posting in the forums will reduce the frequency of receiving these scams. Otherwise, this type of scam is really old.

Dec 21 08 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

HaroldWaight

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rachel Jay wrote:
Best to do the following:

Remove your email off your profile, if it's there.  It being there just increases your chances of getting scam emails like the above (and countless others).  If someone from MM wants to contact you, they'll do so via PM, where you can then share your email and go offsite if you wish.

Don't respond to scam emails.  It proves to them that your email address is active and valid, which gives them incentive to send more emails to the address, as well as sell the address to other spammers and scammers.

Thanks i Got this e-mail today and was unsure of it but i am smart so i did my research and i stumbled upon this forum. 

Hello Photographer,

Regards
Amanda

Dec 21 08 08:57 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Frankly, any email that claims to come from a legit corporation that's full of gross misspellings, grammatical errors, and other typos, as well as uses a free service like Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail should simply be deleted and taken as a scam.

Dec 21 08 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Erick Anthony Photo

Murrieta, California, US

So what if you tell them you will cash the check and wait for the check to clear before you refund them the difference. wink big_smile

Dec 21 08 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lovisa Photo

Murrieta, California, US

I got a similar one

"Hello Photographer,

Regards
Amanda"

Dec 21 08 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dvorah Ivy Photography

Miami, Florida, US

Email from him:

Hello Photographer,

Regards
Amanda

--------------------------------------------

Email from me:

hi amanda,

i am interested in working your party, is the job still open?

-------------------------------------------

Email from him:

Hello,

Thanks for geting back to me.My name is Russell Amanda Who lives in Amarillo,TX.

As regards this job,the concept of the shoot will be strictly Snapshot.I got your contact on ModelMayhem and decided to let you handle this job.

You need to know that it is a paid job and you will be working for approximately 5 hours on the 29th of this month in my home.It is a personal end of the year party with my family and friends from various states and countries of the the world,That is why i need someone who is capable to handle this Snapshots..Not just a photographer.

The party will commence 12 pm to 7pm where you will work for 5 hours depending on how you want to fix yourself between the hours.

Note that I will be responsible for your Accomodation,feed,transportation from your place to my place and all other expenses.Also,you are free to come with just a person so as to see someone whom will be with you or help you with anything...Also i will handle the person's Bill.

You need to understand that i do this once in 2 years and anything worth doing is worth doing well...that is why i want a capable photographer here to do the shoot for me.

As regards the payment,you will be paid $800 for the whole  photoshoot which DOES not include expensed(ALL TRAVELING EXPENSES WOULD BE ON ME AND ACCOMODATION,FEEDING) Where i will pay you part payment of $400 before you leave your place and after the shoot,you will be paid your balance in cash.

You would be paid via check,and also,you will be working for just 29th(5 Hours Only).

If this get back to me with the details below to make payment to :

NAME TO BE ON CHECK :
PHYSICAL ADDRESS TO MAIL IT TO (NO POST CODE):
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
CELL PHONE NUMBER:
HOME PHONE:

I await to read From you,also feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Regards
RUSSELL AMANDA       
AMARILLO,
TX

Dec 23 08 04:06 pm Link

Model

Wugget

If I lived in Texas and was priviledged enough to fly a photographer from a place longer than 5 hours away and pay their friend's expenses too, it would not be a randommer off MM  smile

Dec 23 08 04:17 pm Link

Model

Roxxi Von Chaos

Bothell, Washington, US

Hello Roxanne,
               How are you today  i am emailing you to Inform you about the latest update that payment has been issued out to you.The Check is to cover your part payment as the selected MODEL and Money for the MUA issued out in your Name in the amount of $3900 and it was mailed Via UPS with Tracking # (1ZT181G00193542294)which will be Delivered to you first thing tomorrow morning.Pls do not Hesitate to Inform me as soon as you receive the Check.

Furthermore i will want you to proceed to the bank and have the check cashed and after processing the check you will have your $400 part payment deducted from the money and you will Wire the remaining Money to the MUA you are working with in North Carolina Via Western Union instant Money Transfer because he is going to come over to you for shoot grand finale on the 4TH APRIL,2009 at your Location.You have to get back to me as soon as possible with the details so as to avoid any delay.

So below is the MUA details.

NAME: Luis Vargas
ADDRESS: 578 Colonial Village Dr
CITY: Lincolnton
STATE: NC
ZIP CODE: 28205

So after sending the money you will get back to me Via email with the below information from Western Union.

1) 10 Digits Western Union  Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
2) Exact Amount Sent at Western Union Desk.
3) Information Used While Sending the Money (Name,Address,City,State.)

Note that you are to use part of the Company's money to pay Western Union Charges.So you are to have this proceed because we have to make necessary arrangements in you knowing the MUA you will be working with and get use to one another.

I await your Urgent response as soon as possible.

Go with God.

Yanpes Scott

Mar 18 09 11:57 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Roxxi Von Chaos wrote:
Hello Roxanne,
               How are you today  i am emailing you to Inform you about the latest update that payment has been issued out to you.The Check is to cover your part payment as the selected MODEL and Money for the MUA issued out in your Name in the amount of $3900 and it was mailed Via UPS with Tracking # (1ZT181G00193542294)which will be Delivered to you first thing tomorrow morning.Pls do not Hesitate to Inform me as soon as you receive the Check.

Furthermore i will want you to proceed to the bank and have the check cashed and after processing the check you will have your $400 part payment deducted from the money and you will Wire the remaining Money to the MUA you are working with in North Carolina Via Western Union instant Money Transfer because he is going to come over to you for shoot grand finale on the 4TH APRIL,2009 at your Location.You have to get back to me as soon as possible with the details so as to avoid any delay.

So below is the MUA details.

NAME: Luis Vargas
ADDRESS: 578 Colonial Village Dr
CITY: Lincolnton
STATE: NC
ZIP CODE: 28205

So after sending the money you will get back to me Via email with the below information from Western Union.

1) 10 Digits Western Union  Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
2) Exact Amount Sent at Western Union Desk.
3) Information Used While Sending the Money (Name,Address,City,State.)

Note that you are to use part of the Company's money to pay Western Union Charges.So you are to have this proceed because we have to make necessary arrangements in you knowing the MUA you will be working with and get use to one another.

I await your Urgent response as soon as possible.

Go with God.

Yanpes Scott

Go with God, this scammer yanpes scott should indeed.

Mar 18 09 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

AB-11

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I win: Mine comes from... Coca-Cola!!

"Hi i represent a beauty Inc modelling company, in london and we have selected this your portfolio on My Space for a Coca-Cola billboard advertisment at "Heathrow Airport".All we need is your approval,to enable us process your payment, no commision , no overhead costs , you just get payed for your pictures right away. Email your approval to [email protected] you can call the admin officer for your payment on 4470457332812"

Mar 18 09 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Yes, this is same old illiterate scam with a new wrapper around it.

Once you get more than one email like this, you can smell them like farts in church.. Easy to spot.

Mar 18 09 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:
There are a couple people here in the forums with that same writing style, even the no space after commas and periods part.... Hmmmmm.... I'll be watching them much closer.

Hey! Stop lookin at me like that!

Mar 18 09 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shizam1

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Have them make the check out to "Ben Dover"

I've done that before and they waste money DHL'ing the fake check to you, and then you can start a collection.  I've got 2 of these so far, I'm eagerly waiting for my third!

Mar 18 09 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

Dvorah wrote:
Email from him:

Hello Photographer,

Regards
Amanda

--------------------------------------------

Email from me:

hi amanda,

i am interested in working your party, is the job still open?

-------------------------------------------

Email from him:

Hello,

Thanks for geting back to me.My name is Russell Amanda Who lives in Amarillo,TX.

As regards this job,the concept of the shoot will be strictly Snapshot.I got your contact on ModelMayhem and decided to let you handle this job.

You need to know that it is a paid job and you will be working for approximately 5 hours on the 29th of this month in my home.It is a personal end of the year party with my family and friends from various states and countries of the the world,That is why i need someone who is capable to handle this Snapshots..Not just a photographer.

The party will commence 12 pm to 7pm where you will work for 5 hours depending on how you want to fix yourself between the hours.

Note that I will be responsible for your Accomodation,feed,transportation from your place to my place and all other expenses.Also,you are free to come with just a person so as to see someone whom will be with you or help you with anything...Also i will handle the person's Bill.

You need to understand that i do this once in 2 years and anything worth doing is worth doing well...that is why i want a capable photographer here to do the shoot for me.

As regards the payment,you will be paid $800 for the whole  photoshoot which DOES not include expensed(ALL TRAVELING EXPENSES WOULD BE ON ME AND ACCOMODATION,FEEDING) Where i will pay you part payment of $400 before you leave your place and after the shoot,you will be paid your balance in cash.

You would be paid via check,and also,you will be working for just 29th(5 Hours Only).

If this get back to me with the details below to make payment to :

NAME TO BE ON CHECK :
PHYSICAL ADDRESS TO MAIL IT TO (NO POST CODE):
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
CELL PHONE NUMBER:
HOME PHONE:

I await to read From you,also feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Regards
RUSSELL AMANDA       
AMARILLO,
TX

you would think they would get the hint and start to put some work into the grammar and stop referring to food as feeding and feed...sounds like they are dealing with wild animals haha

Mar 18 09 01:37 pm Link

Model

ElyseGirl

Baltimore, Maryland, US

this is the one i got today

Hello,

My name is Charles Murray,I am freelance modeling agent working for complex Magazine  in New York recruiting models for Complex Magazine currently wanting models and wadrobe stylist for a new and special edition of the magazine.I saw your profile and pictures while surfing the internet, I appreciate them and I would like us to do some works together.I presently have a good offer for you. I want to know if you are interested in modeling because I need pictures of a good looking model who will be on the magazine cover of one of our next month edition.Please let me know if you are interested in the Job. You stand a chance of making reasonable amount {$400} from this deal to start with,and even a noticeable fame. Let me know if you are interested  by mailing me in this offer and I would give you further details.Your fast response will be highly appreciated.
Regards

Charles Murray

----

and Im not so stupid to think that someone would just stumble upon my photo...and want ME to pose for any cover. haha thats not going to happen, Ive looked in the mirror haha

some people want their ego stroked haha

Mar 28 09 02:56 pm Link

Model

RuiChiu

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

After awhile, you just get immune to these emails. Doesn't even raise an eyebrow anymore

PLEASE NOTE taking your email of your MM profile page will significantly reduce the number of these you recieve.

Mar 28 09 03:03 pm Link

Model

LaLa Alexander

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I got one too, there sending me some money...I knew it was a scam cause it seem so easy... Who can I call to report this??

Apr 08 09 07:03 am Link

Photographer

BT Imagery

Christiansted, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

Lonisha Alexander wrote:
I got one too, there sending me some money...I knew it was a scam cause it seem so easy... Who can I call to report this??

The Nigerian consulate.

Apr 08 09 09:28 am Link

Photographer

StudioVixen

Bismarck, North Dakota, US

Call the Justice League, they'll take care of it.

Apr 08 09 09:35 am Link