Model

Marguerite

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What is the name of the spray you use to disenfect your makeup? I do makeup for some of my friends and want to make sure its clean and can use for multiple people, I do have the MAC brush cleaner. Thanks

Jun 12 05 08:30 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Do you mean brushes?
I soak them with antibacterial soap and wipe with a little alcohol.
Disposable applicators are good too and cheap. Q-tips are a good tool also.
Get disposable mascara wands..or save old ones and use.

Jun 12 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Yea, I think getting disposable mascara wands is a DIFINATE must-have. To many people have cooties..

Jun 12 05 10:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

tamra o

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Brushes can be cleaned in between uses with good 'ole alcohol.  Make sure it is min 70%.  Keep in mind, most good brushes are made with real hair ... they need to be washed as well.  If you wouldn't use it on your own hair, i wouldn't recommend it for your beloved brushes either.  A good shampoo, shape the brush and lay it flat to dry (or water will get into the handle and break down the glue).  Mascara and lipsticks - use disposable wands to apply and never never double dip. 
Hope this helps.

Jun 13 05 12:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

to keep everything disinfected, i use an anti bacterial brush cleaner on my brushes after every use, and spray my pallettes of eyeshadows and blushes with alcohol. Using disposable wands for mascara is also a must for sanitation.

Jun 13 05 03:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I would never use alcohol on my brushes.  My brushes are worth alot of money.  I also stay away from Parian Spirits.  Horrible.
I use MAC's brush cleanser during a shoot.  After each shoot they get a washing with a mixture of MAC brush cleanser and a gentle shampoo.  Not baby shampoo.

Jun 13 05 10:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

I used to use Brush Off spray for the quick in between disinfecting, I have since started using the Japonesque spray brush cleaner. Smells nice, doesn't leave my brushes brittle like the Brush Off did, but I still regularly clean my brushes with a gentle shampoo and water mixture (usually one meant for color treated hair so it doesn't strip to much actually)

Jun 13 05 08:07 pm Link

Model

Nyah C

New York, New York, US

I use a spray bottle - the ones you can find in convenience stores and fill it with Brush cleaner or you can just purchse the one from Clinique ($12.50) it comes in the spray bottle. Spray after every application and bad onto paper towel to dry. After the day soak them in the brush cleaner fluid and lay off the edge of a counter top and let dry in the morning clean dry. If you really want good quality brushes I'd go with the Clinique brushes - they have the new technology anti bacterial coating - first in the industry... Complete termination of bacteria after 24 hours...Plus all real hair...

Jun 13 05 10:17 pm Link

Model

Marguerite

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have the MAC brush cleanser,that I use for my brushes. I was asking about what to use on the powder eye shadow and blush in palletts, so I guess alchol is the answer? Thanks

Jun 14 05 09:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

You people are killing me here...

Jun 14 05 09:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

petra

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Marguerite: 
I have the MAC brush cleanser,that I use for my brushes. I was asking about what to use on the powder eye shadow and blush in palletts, so I guess alchol is the answer? Thanks 

powder-based products (eyeshadow, blush, compacts, ect.) don't hold and grow bacteria the way that liquids/cream products do.  if you take a tissue and wipe off the surface of the powder product before each use, you'll be good to go.  for that reason, you can hold on to powder-based products waaay longer than you can liquids/creams/etc.  and for that reason, there is no tell-tale odor when the product starts to go bad (i.e.:  mascara stinks when it's gone bad).  if you use a cleanser of any type on your eyeshadow etc., you are just going to break down the product, and reneder it eventually ineffective.
(whew! long paragraph!)
oh, and i would never use alcohol on my brushes - just like the hair on your head, it'll strip off the natural oils in the brush and make the brush brittle and useless.

Jun 17 05 05:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Laurie Eusebio

Whittier, Alaska, US

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
I would never use alcohol on my brushes.  My brushes are worth alot of money.  I also stay away from Parian Spirits.  Horrible.
I use MAC's brush cleanser during a shoot.  After each shoot they get a washing with a mixture of MAC brush cleanser and a gentle shampoo.  Not baby shampoo.

How do you use the brush cleanser during a shoot and still use them during the shoot. Wouldn't you have to wait for them to dry? Duging a shoot, I gently wipe mine with a gentle baby wipe and wash them when I get home. Also use a lot of disposable applicators. For mascara, I use disposable applicators, but am thinking of just buying a Maybeline Great Lash mascara for each client. It works great, and when using disposable applicators, I can't seem to get enough mascara on the wand.

Jun 22 05 03:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I have ALOT of brushes, so if I sometimes don't even need to clean them.  Just use different ones.
The MAC cleanser dries quickly, so I can clean some and use others while those dry.  Baby wipes would leave a residue on the brush that would, in turn, leave residue on my product.
To answer the original question now that it has been sorted out...dry products don't harbour bacteria, creme products are never dipped into 2x.  Product is put on back of clean hand or palette.  Lipsticks are sprayed with alcohol before being used with a clean brush. 
Disposable mascara wands are used or a mascara is given to client.

Jun 22 05 03:26 pm Link