Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What make-up is best for black models

Model

Lovely24

Austin, Texas, US

Hello

I have a question I am coming back to modeling after a long break. I had the problem before that I could not find a really good makeup for shoots for my skin tone. Alot of them make me look gray. Has anything come on the market that I need to know about. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Please respond to me in a message if you can.

Thanks
Lovely

Feb 01 06 10:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elle Inc

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Try Iman's make-up line. its a little expence. but worth it.. or get a sale's rep. at mac to help you find one.

Feb 01 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Nikki NiCole

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

MAC

Feb 01 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

CandiP

Boca Raton, Florida, US

MAC!! Just a bit will do and it looks very natural.

Feb 01 06 11:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I use the Iman line I got a wicked deal beasue i bought 6 shades and so far havent need to worry about matching skin tones.
The reason why thier skin looks grey or ashy is becaue there is Titanium Dioxide in the product ( Basically white pigment) you need one specifiacally for black skin, Mac is ok too but I love the Iman line totally worth the money.. smile

Feb 02 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Chu

I blend my (liquid) products with two colors closest to my skin due to the fact I change shades tremendously throughout the year.

Many women of color I know use either Iman or Fashion Fair-it's made just for ethnic skin tones.

Also, I don't know what city you live in but at some malls you can go to the counter have a custom shade made for you and from then on you can order it straight from the company.  It costs a little depending on the brand and blend, but you never have to worry about if it looks right or not.

Feb 02 06 06:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Mac,Iman,Lorac,Milani..is what I use on darker skintones.

Feb 02 06 08:12 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

You can never go wrong with MAC they have so many tones you are destined to find one that fits you, get a MAC consultant to help you out, thats what they are there for!

Feb 02 06 09:16 am Link

Model

Vanna

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Iman is good.

Feb 02 06 09:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

RCMA is the best professional makeup with darker tones I've ever found. (although my port doesnt show it, I've done a lot of work with darker skin tones)

you can get it online at www.camerareadycosmetics.com

Feb 02 06 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cristen Troop

Howell, New Jersey, US

Surprisingly Black Opal stick foundations are great . Ive yet to have a problem matching tones or skin looking grey or ashey.They have great coverage. Much better than over rated and over priced Mac and a few others. Good luck!

Feb 02 06 10:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

For photo shoots on black skin. 

M.A.C.
Iman
M.A.C.
Iman
M.A.C.
Iman
M.A.C.
Iman
M.A.C.
Iman

Need I say more.  If you do get a makeup artist, make sure you test with them first if they don't have photos in or on their port that shows anyone who is black.  I feel this way... if I don't see it with my own eyes, you can't do my face.  Don't "TELL" me you can do darker skin tones, just show me.

Feb 02 06 07:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

For foundation, I found Make Up Forever the best.

Feb 02 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

Santa Cruz, California, US

Fashion Fair

Feb 04 06 03:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

La Dolce Vita

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M.A.C and Iman...
like someone said b4...
what happens is that a lot of black women have 2,, 3, or more tones in their face so using just one won't do... sometimes mixing  foundations or just spot application works.... since your face might not all be the same colour

Feb 04 06 06:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

RCMA.

Feb 04 06 07:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup FX by Vanessa

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Just what everyone said!!!!!!! I also say Ben Nye and Cineima Secrets, they are more film & theatre which means they are heavier but looks amazing in pics.  The more water you add to your sponge the thinner it comes on.  Your looking grey because the makeup is to light for you, it's a common problem your T-Zone is lighter then the rest of your face therefore your picking the wrong shade- hence black+white=grey lol.  Try judging by your jawline or hairline. Good luck girl

Feb 04 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

For photo shoots, I found Ben Nye to be the most effective. My models rave over its coverage potential.

Feb 05 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Excellent post!

*thumbs up!*

Feb 05 06 09:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Erin Hunt

New York, New York, US

Try makeup forever, the pigment is very dense in the shadow line and looks beautiful on darker skin tones.  Of course you can never go wrong with the professionals at MAC.

Feb 05 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Lovely24

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks for all the great advice!!
I have a shoot coming up and would love to have a great make-up artist. It will be around April, May time frame in Texas. I want someone who is not afraid of putting bright, vibrant colors on Black Models! Please message me if your interested.

Thanks,
Lovely

Feb 05 06 01:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Lovely24 wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice!!
I have a shoot coming up and would love to have a great make-up artist. It will be around April, May time frame in Texas. I want someone who is not afraid of putting bright, vibrant colors on Black Models! Please message me if your interested.

Thanks,
Lovely

Contact Briana in Dallas (Mayhem #4589).  She is black so she wouldn't have any problems with painting a black model.  (Not to say anyone else would, so do you guys start.)  I just watch her Friday night do 7 models' makeovers in a hour & 1/2 with different complexions.  She made them gorgeous!  I highly recommend her.  She is going to do my makeup for my birthday photos and you know I'm going to be the sexiest black stylist in D-Town once she is done.

Feb 05 06 01:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

benson

Los Angeles, California, US

Yves Rocher out of France has an amzing line of bases for the darker skinned woman......They are not thrifty but then again they wont require your rent either!

Yves Rocher has a website!

http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/

This line has 4 shades they mix really well!

http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/shop_app/a … ge=product

Feb 05 06 02:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BECCA COSMETICS...Great application and has a color in foundation that will blend with someone as dark as model Alec Wek...And doesn't look ashy or orange.

Feb 05 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

KiWi!

Al Jolson swore by it and it's been around forever.

Just a joke, nothing more so dont go reading any hate into it!

Feb 05 06 08:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

RCMA

i know some makeup artists that swear by bobbi brown stick foundation, although i have not tried it.

Feb 06 06 09:37 pm Link