Forums > Model Colloquy > Shandra's advice thread.

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Just stopped in to give Shandra internet cookie for doing this big_smile

Apr 12 08 09:24 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

Rachel Jay wrote:
Wonderful thread, and fantastic, well-written responses!  What I would like to see you discuss is the acceptance of your nude modeling by your friends, family and professional peers (those not involved in the modeling/art world).  Have you had issues, lost friends, been chastised at work, etc?

I have not had issues in any relationship, with the exception of my father.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 5237&page=

Apr 12 08 10:44 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Heather LeStabbityDeath wrote:
Just stopped in to give Shandra internet cookie for doing this big_smile

*crunch*

Apr 12 08 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Would you be ok with the photographer (male or female) appearing in the photos with you nude?  No physical contact involved.

Apr 13 08 02:16 am Link

Model

artmodelandrew

Shandra is going to CA wrote:
I also constantly move while on the stand...but I'll explain what I mean in my book.  It's top secret.  smile

Me too. Maybe not constantly, but subtle (hopefully undetectable) movements now and then keep your limbs from falling asleep or your eyes from glazing over.

This is a great thread.

Apr 13 08 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Shandra:

Thanks for the response.  You are an interesting woman who's work I admire greatly.  Don't feel compelled to answer these questions here... save them for your book if you wish.  Or, answer them here if you prefer.

A couple more:

1) What are the attributes that separate a successful art model from other types of models (other than the obvious: "he/she must be comfortable in their own skin")?

2) Since you like environmental nudes, describe the process of shooting them.  For instance: assuming you have to hike a mile or so off the trail, what to you wear/bring?  How to you keep your skin free of elastic marks during the trek to the location?  Also, consider the very basics..... for instance:  If you are shooting at a location with lots of sand, do you use a skin moisturizer before the shoot or does this cause the sand to "stick"?  Sunblock?  How do you keep from getting burned (especially in those places that normally don't see the sun).

3) when reviewing the work of others (i.e. a potential photographer), what do you look for in his/her images to determine if you would like to shoot with him/her?

4) If you are going to write a book/webpage so the you can mentor new models, you likely should include a section on the "business" side of figure modeling.  How to get gigs.  How to get paid.  Typical rates.  How often to expect to work.  Image usage.  Releases. Etc.

Apr 13 08 06:53 am Link

Photographer

la lune

Bump for SneakySexxy.

I will get back to this in a few days.

If you have asked me a specific question via PM, I will get back to you soon as well.

Thanks.
Shandra

Apr 16 08 01:00 am Link

Model

SneakySexy

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Thanks darlin....and reading has prompted another question.  You mentioned having held a pose too long while you were on your period.  Do you use a tampon or an Instead cup?  and why?

Apr 16 08 11:08 am Link

Model

S. Stark

I will answer all of the remaining questions as soon as I have the mental clarity to do so (I'm moving), but am otherwise closing this thread.

Thanks for all the questions!  I might open this back up at some point.

Shandra

Apr 27 08 09:14 pm Link