Forums > General Industry > What's with all the Fake Ads?

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm browsing the site looking for people I like and I keep running into profiles with fake ads.

This is annoying!

Jun 13 05 02:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Care to share those MM# and what makes you think that those adds are fake?

Jun 13 05 02:59 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Am I allowed to do that? Some forums don't allow you to.

Jun 13 05 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

if they are members on the community yer not doing anything wrong, just some mm memebers, we can see ourselves if ads or otherwise, if they are indeed fake, or against site policy you did a favor reporting it. :p

Jun 13 05 03:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Jun 13 05 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Kuree: 
Ok sorry admin if this might be against the rules.

Alright Udo, here some examples.

First there is the DIOR EYEWEAR shot.

And then there are the mock ads.  Calvin Klein 

And then there is the Make Your Own Tearsheet

OK That is only a few examples. And certainly there are tons more members who do this. Too bad I can't post them all instead of just calling attention to only three lucky members.

Why do I think the ads are fake. They do not look real or are of a make believe company.

I just think its unprofessional... that's all.

The Dior Eyeware tear seems legit. The photog shoots mainly male models. With all the tears he has on OMP I doubt he would get away with them being fakes for so long.

Tha Calvin Klein ad says it's a mock ad. Many photogs do it and it's not claiming it's real. It has a mock ad disclaimer. It's a matter of personal taste whether you like looking at it or not.

MM xxxx? Didn't see anything about making your own tear sheet.

Not defending anyone, just checked out the facts before posting.

If you have suspicions about fake profiles or copyright infringements you should contact Tyler privately. Only the administration can handle those problems. No one here has the need to know unless it directly involves them. It will only cause problems by posting members profile numbers only on a whim and personal opinion. We have enough of that already.

Jun 13 05 04:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary:  If you have suspicions about fake profiles or copyright infringements you should contact Tyler privately. Only the administration can handle those problems. No one here has the need to know unless it directly involves them. It will only cause problems by posting members profile numbers only on a whim and personal opinion. We have enough of that already.

That's exactly what I thought. And why I thought it would be against the rules.

I've edited out the members, you are totally right about that. But they are still in your quote... oh well I tried.

And you might be right about the first guy. But I will have to look again, so I can tell you why I felt that way.

To each their own on opinions of what they think of mock ads and photogs putting their business name to try to emulate a tearsheet.

As for OMP and its credibility... I know a guy who has totally fake Prada ads listed under "Tearsheets". When I talked to him about it he told me the reason he had those up was because it was a "mock ad" and well.... some other excuse too lame for me to remember. But unlike the MM member he does not say its not real.

Warned or not, I have a problem with it.

Jun 13 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

I have to agree about OMP, they could not find anything even it if stood in front of them.

I wouldn't say it's against the rules, more like naming names without all the facts which happens alot on here.

Jun 13 05 07:24 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Thanks Gary for the edit.

Jun 13 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I've seen a ton of fake ads on MM.

I don't think that a disclaimer about it being a fake ad in any way resolves anyone of copyright infringement if they are using a company's logo without written permission.

Jun 13 05 08:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Yep.

Before I crashed and burned,  wink   ....

this is what I wanted to discuss.

Jun 13 05 08:20 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Kuree, I don't know about you, but a fake ad doesn't impress me at all. It takes no creativity to copy something that already has been done.

If they want to show they can shoot in a commercial style, they need to develop their own logo and shoot commercial shots featuring their own branding.

Jun 13 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

This entire subject of mock ads was already covered in a previous post, no need to rewrite it here. Although this is one of many things there should be an FAQ on here at MM.
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?page=0&thread_id=908

It's a thin line on whether it's legal or not depending on the ad itself and the claims.

Jun 13 05 01:26 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Sorry, I didn't notice a search function. Is there one?

My mouth dropped reading that thread. Its obvious that the opinion on that thread is for faking it and I don't agree with that. Its more than legality, its a matter of professionalism and respect to fellow artists who know that its more than (as XtremeArtists said) to copy or rather try to copy. I am really mad right now with the digging into the law to try to reason and attempt to rectify legality in this unpro practice.

If people are faking tears, then what is the point to go out there and bust your butt if you can make your own like too many people on this site seem to think is ok?

I think I'm just going to gab with people on my friends list and ignore the forum, because this is too much.

Thanks for the chat Gary & XtremeArtists... I'm outta here.

Jun 13 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Kuree, I know the feeling and I do agree. I try to stay neutral on certain subjects and just point out the info available.

Actually there is no search function, you just need a good memory and sense of direction. lol!

Jun 13 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Actually, the search function is at the bottom of the Forums page.

It does not work well though.

Jun 13 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Didn't even know it was finally installed.

Jun 13 05 02:55 pm Link