Forums > General Industry > Question about covering up tattoos...

Photographer

Jeremy Lelii

Aldan, Pennsylvania, US

Whats the best way (sans photoshop or clothing) to cover up tattoos that are unwanted for a photo shoot?

Jun 13 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

One of the girls I work with has a large birthmark on her face, and she uses something calld DermaBlend to cover the mark, so I presume it would work for tattoo's? 

Check out my port, it's the girl in the Red Hat.

Jun 13 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

John Allen

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

DermaBlend will work OK if you are shooting outdoors, in the shade and you don't get too close.  Otherwise, find a model without tatoos.  It will save you a ton of work afterwards.

John
http://cannesphoto.com

Jun 13 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

The model must have DermaBlend in her skin tone (or tones if she tans). After you apply it, you use regular makeup to blend it seamlessly with the skin around it and then hair-spray it to keep it from rubbing off.

Jun 14 05 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Jeremy Lelii: 
Whats the best way (sans photoshop or clothing) to cover up tattoos that are unwanted for a photo shoot?

Work with a kick-ass make-up artist.  wink

Jun 14 05 06:43 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 
One of the girls I work with has a large birthmark on her face, and she uses something calld DermaBlend to cover the mark, so I presume it would work for tattoo's? 

Check out my port, it's the girl in the Red Hat.

Yeah it covers tattoos. That stuff is awsome...I just need to find a place near me that sells it.

Jun 14 05 08:26 am Link

Model

robin mcquay

Tacoma, Washington, US

just get someone without tattoos, would make more sense, or dont cover the tats...they add to the photo, i think anyways

Jun 14 05 08:27 am Link

Model

Jenn

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DermaBlend and coverblend both work well.  If Dermablend isn't sold near you, go to www.dermablend.com.  It covers up everything..

Jun 14 05 08:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Ben Nye and Mehron sell outstanding products to cover tatoos and blemishes.  They are also used and have been used by professional artists for years and many keep these items as staples in their kits. 

Jun 14 05 08:45 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Yea I recommend Dermablend too. Leila, you can go online on ebay and buy some. Just make sure you buy the right color for your skintone. I bought some from ebay, and it's a little to brown for me. But I havnen't given up yet.

Also find a dermablend near you and go http://www.dermablend.com/FindDermablend.aspx That is a store locator. Go find which store is closest then meet with one of their sales reps. You'll get the perfect shade! Good luck

Jun 14 05 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

You can buy Dermablend at your local Sears it's a consumer brand.

Jun 14 05 10:02 am Link

Model

HeatherFeather

Huntington Beach, California, US

Dermablend as well...
It has been used several times on me to hide my tattoos that photographers didnt want to see..
Mainly the one on my belly..

~M~

Jun 15 05 04:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I use a couple of different things.  My favorite being a tattoo cover pallete from Kryolan.  I use this for everything, in addition to covering ink.
I also like a combo of MAC full coverage foundation (the cake) with Studio Fix to set.  Also, Ben Nye has a couple of great cover wheels.

Jun 15 05 05:58 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'll look into Ben Nye and Kryolan for cover up.  I don't have tattoos, but I'm a klutz and often have bruises. Dermablend didn't match my skin tone at all.

Jun 16 05 02:12 am Link