Forums > General Industry > What exactly should be included in a reference?

Photographer

Jeremy Lelii

Aldan, Pennsylvania, US

I've recently been asked for model references (first time for everything) and being asked that sparked an idea I came up with.

Basically from here on in, I am going to include a little "evaluation/reference" sheet that models can take home with them with the model release form.

Should I jot down a few questions for them to take home? Or should I just leave a statement saying something like "please do take the time to write a few paragraphs and email me with the answer".

Just trying to figure out the best thing to do possible. Perhaps I should ask them to write a few paragraphs while they are still there?

Thanks, Jeremy.

Jun 16 05 12:01 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Hiya Jeremy.  This isn't a direct response to your question, but it may be obliquely helpful.  When I've gotten references from photographers in the past, they are basically contact information for models he or she has worked with - either a phone number, or an OMP profile/website link, or both.

I'm not sure if the response sheet will be meaningful in this capacity (though it might be for quotes and such on your profile or webpage), simply because there's no way to tell who wrote the reference.  Make sense?

Jun 16 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy Lelii

Aldan, Pennsylvania, US

Well, what I was thinking was...

Included with the response sheet when sending to others will include the models contact info, so they can check up on the info and verify it is correct.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jun 16 05 12:15 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Well in that case...

I think it's a great idea.  smile

Jun 16 05 12:16 am Link

Model

Dorothy Goddess Dee

Valley Stream, New York, US

By asking the model then and there to write about their experience is putting them on the spot as they might not have enjoyed the shooot and can't be truthful about it since you will see if after they write it. References are just to make sure you are legit and not some pervert trying to pass as a photographer. I usually tell photographers to check my references as well and they are more than welcome to contact anyone they wish that I had worked with so it's not biased that I am only sending them references to my favorite photographers who I know will give me excellent feedback. Models should also do their own homework and do their own reference check on the photographer but with beginners that's usually harder to do.

Jun 16 05 05:57 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

References that come from the photographer can easily be fabricated, so I would still require valid contact information for the refererer.

I ask models I get references from if the photographer was respectful of boundaries and was prompt with the agreed upon compensation. Extra info about shooting style is helpful, but I'm mostly looking to see if the photographer is safe and I won;t get stiffed.

Jun 16 05 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

In my own experience, the 'references' models want would names and be contact info for for other models you have worked with. It's usually a security thing, to make sure the photog isn't an ax murderer, serial rapist or some other type of predator. They want to make certain we are real. As  result, any info other than contct info which is provided by the shooter would probably not mean much. When I'm asked, I provide names and email addresses so the potential model can ask her own questions.

Jun 16 05 06:14 am Link