Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Oh No She Didn't...

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

I was doing some b&w classic nudes and I stopped to review some of the shots during a break and something bothered me about the shots.  Suddenly I thought to myself - Oh no I've got dust or a scratch on the sensor.  But wait, its in a different spot each time...is that on the model?
     I walked towards the model to see if it was something stuck to her when all of sudden I saw it! - WTF!  Is that a fuse?  If I light it will you explode?  OMG!

I didn't know how to tactfully bring up the subject so I just concentrated on waist up shots and ended the shoot early.

I still shake my head just thinking about it.

Mar 06 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Emily L

New York, New York, US

so i don't think i'm eating tonight after reading this thread...

Mar 06 06 06:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Yes, how do you tactfully tell someone she is hairy as heck and she wrong for coming to the shoot like that?

Mar 06 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

While these amuse me, I just want to say that sometimes models cant help it.

I remember going home crying from modeling school once because my classmates brought up the subject of B.O.  Sorry folks, but no matter how much deoderant I wore, life sucks for some people.  Might explain why I took off so many years between modeling school and actually starting to model (about 3 yrs).  But I did just recently find a product called BodyMint that is a F-ING LIFESAVER.  Its a systemic deoderant.  Taking it less than a week and I can notice the difference.  Granted I still shower and use regular stuff too, its expensive as hell ($20/bottle(60 pills/2 a day)), and I can only find it on Drugstore.com, but DANG!  If you stylists ever run into a model with the problem, rather than saying "ohh hell no", try and give some reccomendations on how to fix it.

Mar 06 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Ahhhhhhmmmmm...it wasn't hair.  It was white...probably cotton...I don't know I'm a guy I'm not as intmately familiar with them as women are...single strand...connected to something currently unseen...

Mar 06 06 06:37 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

S wrote:

I remember going home crying from modeling school once because my classmates brought up the subject of B.O.  Sorry folks, but no matter how much deoderant I wore, life sucks for some people.  Might explain why I took off so many years between modeling school and actually starting to model (about 3 yrs).  But I did just recently find a product called BodyMint that is a F-ING LIFESAVER.  Its a systemic deoderant.  Taking it less than a week and I can notice the difference.  Granted I still shower and use regular stuff too, its expensive as hell ($20/bottle(60 pills/2 a day)), and I can only find it on Drugstore.com, but DANG!  If you stylists ever run into a model with the problem, rather than saying "ohh hell no", try and give some reccomendations on how to fix it.

If we were in modeling school and you were a classmate then yes, I would tastefully tell you because I wouldn't want a client to hurt your feeling later.  However, when you are a professional model and you require a hourly payment, I expect you to have all of your personal need taken care of by you.  You know if you are hairy.  You know if you are on your period.  You know if you have a tendency to smell a little tart.  You know your body better than anyone.  I just don't understand why people don't take care of it before they get to a shoot that involves so much prep work and a collaboration of talented people. 

Shave, bathe, bring a tampon... do what you have to do to be professional.

Mar 06 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Sonntag wrote:

Fair enough; certainly - we all have our own preferences :-)

But I think that *I* might want to try this... and I'd sure love to see someone in public with the guts for this, for once. I even have interest from a photographer or two to shoot this sort of thing... it's cool that no matter what it is, there are enough people in this damn world - on this forum, even - to find a co-conspirator for just about anything.

Sonntag
~if you don't like it, don't look

I actually have no problem with women not shaving; I do think it's a social thing and it's hardly "gross." You just don't see it that often, and so when you do it can be rather surprising. But really, I have nothing against it - I would actually like to have a "natural" model I could work with on figure studies and other things.

-P-

Mar 06 06 06:43 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

SKPhoto wrote:
Ahhhhhhmmmmm...it wasn't hair.  It was white...probably cotton...I don't know I'm a guy I'm not as intmately familiar with them as women are...single strand...connected to something currently unseen...

Oh snap!  A tampon!?!?!  Dang... I wouldn't know what to say. yikes

Mar 06 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

S wrote:

Mar 06 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Narvell wrote:
Yes, how do you tactfully tell someone she is hairy as heck and she wrong for coming to the shoot like that?

OOOOOO Narvell...

Reading this thread UNFORTUNATELY reminded me of a fashion show I did
where a lovely-faced tall & leggy European model arrived in jeans and a baggy
sweat shirt for a fitting with the swimsuit designer.

Within minutes we hear he who-shall-remain-nameless' high pitched scream of
WTF...OMG...SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWOLFFFFFF!

To hear this designer KNOWN for his unflappable disposition screeching, sent all of us
running to the rear dressing room only to find him trying to get his "creative genius
design" off this girl who had huge black tufts of hair sprouting out from her bikini
area, under her arms, on her legs, and some even on her chest...without touching her!

When politeness and words fail you...a REAL LOUD scream of terror works wonders! wink

Mar 06 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Narvell wrote:

I'm not sure I see the problem here.... we're all adults, women have periods, tell her and ask her to tuck the string if she modeling nude.

As to the hair... am I off-base, then, when I'm chatting in advance with a model I've booked and I remind her to shave the day/night before the shoot?

Mar 06 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Narvell wrote:

SKPhoto wrote:

You could have just told her that the tail of her mouse was showing...
Or you could have been blunt about it, and simply said, um you need to tuck in the string... and continue shooting like it was not big deal which it is not, grow up.

Mar 06 06 08:01 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Stemming from the first post:  did anyone see the Nars ad in this month's Bazaar?  The model's face is super hairy.  It's blonde hair, but so it's so thick and the photo is so close you can see the individual hairs under her lower lip especially, and some under her nose.  And, there is peach fuzz all over her face, but under the lower lip is the longest and worst.

Why didn't they wax or photoshop it out?  It was really distracting!

Mar 06 06 09:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

SKPhoto wrote:

Oh grow up and say it...TAMPON STRING. Obviously you're familiar enough to dance around it Yeesh.

TAMPON TAMPON TAMPON

Mar 07 06 03:07 am Link