Forums > Model Colloquy > Skinny male models

Model

BJ Forest

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am considered.."Skinny" ( I like the word "LEAN" better though..lol) Yes I am lean..and yes it does have it's privileges and it's disadvantages.  Yes "we" can fit in most clothing (but when shopping for them there are never any of our sizes on the rack cause they are the first to go) and Yes skinny guys are the trend right now for high fashion. 

But when you are "lean" and "short" like myself (and my lower body is somewhat bigger than my upper body) Then being lean has it's disadvantages. (well for me it does sometimes)

For Ex.. I am 5'9''  145lbs with a 27'' waist.( Boy I cant wait to gain 20 more lbs...lol)  Now can I fit a 27'' pair of pants..HELL NO! I couldn't get then up my legs and if I can I definitely squeezing whatever life I have in me out...lol  Some clothes I have to buy a 32'' or sometimes even a 33'' for them to fit the rest of my body..But in the waist area its wayyyyyy too BIG! And then you have all this material all bunched up in the front cause the belt is too tight for the size jeans/pants you have on. 

And when in the hell the "Short" Lean guys like myself will get any recognition.. We may not be runway material (which I think  is a bunch of bull)  we look just as good (if not even better sometimes) in Fashion shows.  ...lol

"WE" get overlooked the most 8-(  But's it's cool I'm still gonna SHINE!!!

May 18 08 10:04 pm Link

Model

Kristofer Hilton

Poughkeepsie, New York, US

It's interesting that you guys are mentioning this because I've always kind of noticed that the high end designers typically use skinny male models and now it's happening more and more.

I consider myself one of the "Skinny Male Models" though I'm not a professional model by any means what-so-ever, I've done some shoots here and there but nothing major. It's good to know that people like me could have a shot at runway.

May 18 08 10:07 pm Link

Model

Chewy Yang

Los Angeles, California, US

It seems to be the trend because my agent didnt tell me directly not to eat "but to minamize the meals i eat" so that i would lose more of my muscle mass cause the industry wants tall and skinny male models  and that way i can get more bookings

May 21 08 08:10 pm Link

Model

Matus

Tustin, California, US

-loren- wrote:
Ummmm this=YUMMY to me.

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071225/01/47709f7390588.jpg

Seriously. I think tall skinny male models are so f'n sexy. And pale too. mmmm. My boyfriend looks like that so I guess I'm biased. He refuses to model though, the lame.

HOLOCAUST smile

May 21 08 08:14 pm Link

Model

Ryan Greeley

Brooklyn, New York, US

i hope to god it is not a trend

Im skinny (or lean) hoever you want to put it

and god knows I could never be considered built, toned maybe

but a majority of the sample sizes (as far as i know) are designed around males my size

May 21 08 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Matus wrote:

HOLOCAUST smile

Surely, you jest.

May 21 08 10:38 pm Link

Model

Joseph_Miller

Mister Graves wrote:
NEW trend? As long as I've been looking at fashion magazines, ALL high fashion male models have been skinny and pale.

Skinny men make fancy clothes look more fancy.

Yes!...  However did you read My mind?....... wink

May 21 08 11:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

skinny male models are high fashion!!

I always advise 'built' guys to do the more commercial/athletic work

May 21 08 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

xaveir

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ryan Micheal wrote:
i hope to god it is not a trend

Im skinny (or lean)" hoever"you want to put it

and god knows I could never be considered built, toned maybe

but a majority of the sample sizes (as far as i know) are designed around males my size

Hoever ia my new word for the week .  Hoevers are everywhere.

I met a hoever ther last night.

I went to New York last month and got  that hoever drunk in line.

She said im no hoeever!

hoever are a small species of women in the upper east side.

hoever in the dictionary is a small turkish women with big earlocks and small feet.  Wearring Prada handbags and spending all their husbands money.   Hoever.

May 21 08 11:37 pm Link

Model

Dylan Monroe

New York, New York, US

thin is in always

Dec 19 08 12:44 pm Link

Model

Dylan Monroe

New York, New York, US

Matus wrote:

HOLOCAUST smile

Dec 19 08 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Rev  Arielle wrote:
Skinny male models are apparently the new "trend" for runway.

Learned something about it in college this semester. Professor was a model so he always liked to bring up stuff like that. tongue

Hahaha that reminded me the time while I was in the Uni all the girls in my carreer wanted to attend the class of an italian professor they found to be extremely handsome -and they even loved more that he had the accent when talking in spanish-, literally the class was always choke full of women and from time to time there were females from other careers going to his class just to look at him lol it was crazy tongue

Dec 19 08 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

I

Dec 19 08 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

BJ Forest wrote:
I am considered.."Skinny" ( I like the word "LEAN" better though..lol) Yes I am lean..and yes it does have it's privileges and it's disadvantages.  Yes "we" can fit in most clothing (but when shopping for them there are never any of our sizes on the rack cause they are the first to go) and Yes skinny guys are the trend right now for high fashion. 

But when you are "lean" and "short" like myself (and my lower body is somewhat bigger than my upper body) Then being lean has it's disadvantages. (well for me it does sometimes)

For Ex.. I am 5'9''  145lbs with a 27'' waist.( Boy I cant wait to gain 20 more lbs...lol)  Now can I fit a 27'' pair of pants..HELL NO! I couldn't get then up my legs and if I can I definitely squeezing whatever life I have in me out...lol  Some clothes I have to buy a 32'' or sometimes even a 33'' for them to fit the rest of my body..But in the waist area its wayyyyyy too BIG! And then you have all this material all bunched up in the front cause the belt is too tight for the size jeans/pants you have on. 

And when in the hell the "Short" Lean guys like myself will get any recognition.. We may not be runway material (which I think  is a bunch of bull)  we look just as good (if not even better sometimes) in Fashion shows.  ...lol

It's just the same as short, pretty girls who can't get into runway.  But it's NEVER gonna change.   The fashion industry wants the tall and super thin.

You may be fit but not skinny.

Dec 19 08 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Son Appareil

San Diego, California, US

Not a new trend at all.

For European Runway work, and similar in the US-- men must be 5' "10 MINIMUM to 6' 2" with very few exceptions taller, and able to wear jackets from European 48 - 52 (US sizes 38-42), waist sizes 28-32 with some exceprions to 33 or 34.

Suits must drape off good bones, and not be form fitting on a body builder.

That's the norm, and has been for many years.

For sportswear, and some print applications a bit more mass can be OK, but it is always a trim, fit look.

For some designers, even thinner seems to be OK (see recent print work for D & G, LV and others).

Modeling is never real life.

Dec 19 08 02:10 pm Link

Model

Jesse Jerome

what would I be considered as??  I feel I'm kind of both skinny and somewhat buff...I wanna do runway so let me know!

Dec 19 08 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O N A T H A N

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jay Stone wrote:
Definitely a trend, but what can you do. thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

going to be around longer than a trend in this case. Male models have been slimming down slowly for some time now as the male ideal is slowly changing from what was abercrombie to a slimmer more accessible male physique.

Dec 19 08 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Matus wrote:
HOLOCAUST smile

i don't think i like the word "holocaust" and a smiley face anywhere near one another.

Dec 19 08 04:54 pm Link

Model

Joseph_Miller

Brian Ziff wrote:

i don't think i like the word "holocaust" and a smiley face anywhere near one another.

LoL . . . made me laugh...   I wish I was skinny . . .

Dec 19 08 05:31 pm Link

Model

Bianca Corrine

Santa Clara, California, US

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
I dig the skinny rockstar look wink

oo me too! a weakness of mine i will admit--ive dated too many of those ones--skinny musicians that is, but they are my fav.
no offense- but big muscles scare me lol maybe cause im little, i dunno just not my thing

Dec 19 08 11:13 pm Link

Model

Soleil C

Tampa, Florida, US

fashion models are buff high fashion models are waif-like.  Besides androgyny is huge right now so skinny boys are better.

Dec 20 08 12:44 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Skinny men are the sexiest thing in the world.  The more feminine, the better.

Rawr.

Dec 20 08 01:30 pm Link

Model

Larry D Rosalez

Gainesville, Florida, US

Yay thin!!!

Dec 20 08 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
Skinny men are the sexiest thing in the world.  The more feminine, the better.

Rawr.

the more feminine looking.

girls think they want feminine guys but it disrupts the balanced inherent gender role interplay in a relationship.

Dec 20 08 02:20 pm Link

Model

Larry D Rosalez

Gainesville, Florida, US

Brian Ziff wrote:

girls think they want feminine guys but it disrupts the balanced inherent gender role interplay in a relationship.

That assumes that the girl in the relationship wants to be the girl

Dec 20 08 02:24 pm Link

Model

Most Muscular

Maplewood, Minnesota, US

BJ Forest wrote:

For myself... 5'-9" seems very tall... and perhaps I am biased because I am not skinny but I have to laugh at the skinny guys in the gym strutting around in their tank tops (hanging very loosely on their bones...) sunglasses (WTF? there isn't any sun indoors), and their hats sideways (is it that windy in here?), and they're long shorts (covering up their non existent legs) with the waist around their thighs.... oooh boy, they are cool.  not.

Dec 20 08 02:34 pm Link

Model

Larry D Rosalez

Gainesville, Florida, US

Most Muscular wrote:
For myself... 5'-9" seems very tall... and perhaps I am biased because I am not skinny but I have to laugh at the skinny guys in the gym strutting around in their tank tops (hanging very loosely on their bones...) sunglasses (WTF? there isn't any sun indoors), and their hats sideways (is it that windy in here?), and they're long shorts (covering up their non existent legs) with the waist around their thighs.... oooh boy, they are cool.  not.

I don't even go to the gym but I feel like that described me. lol

Dec 20 08 02:37 pm Link

Model

Trevor Mark

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jesse Jerome wrote:
what would I be considered as??  I feel I'm kind of both skinny and somewhat buff...I wanna do runway so let me know!

You sir, could be used in a multitude of places.
But this isn't a critique forum.

Dec 20 08 02:45 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Brian Ziff wrote:

Well, I am often attracted to gay men over any straight man (sucks for me, huh!)....

Then again.. I have many masculine qualities to my personality.  I dunno... I like feminine men! big_smile

Dec 21 08 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

I'm about 25 years too late!

Dec 21 08 08:15 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Terri Li (MM# 394024) is one of my best friends, and he's a skinny male model, lol.

However, he's in very good physical shape, and simply naturally skinny.  Some people just are.  He doesn't diet or exercise himself to death, he's just genetically predisposed to being small and lithe.

Dec 21 08 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

The Original Sin wrote:
Terri Li (MM# 394024) is one of my best friends, and he's a skinny male model, lol.

However, he's in very good physical shape, and simply naturally skinny.  Some people just are.  He doesn't diet or exercise himself to death, he's just genetically predisposed to being small and lithe.

Makes him easier to pin when sparring. lol

Dec 21 08 08:28 pm Link

Model

Savvy O

New York, New York, US

Abercrombie models are buff runway models are thin. There you have it!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 21 08 08:31 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Makes him easier to pin when sparring. lol

llama

You are so silly.  But yes, James can attest to the fact that Li really is just... well, Li.

Dec 21 08 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Hotchili Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Rick Rotondo wrote:
I can model again!  I'm 6'4", 165lbs... lol.

I'm 6'7" and 180.

Go us!

Dec 21 08 08:44 pm Link

Model

Mark Pett

Houston, Texas, US

Savvy O wrote:
Abercrombie models are buff runway models are thin. There you have it!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooo!! This makes me happy cause runway is what I want to master!

160lbs, 6'2, size 31 waist big_smile

I hope that's skinny enough, my parents are already worried about my weight..

Dec 21 08 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Vogue_Junkie wrote:

Well, I am often attracted to gay men over any straight man (sucks for me, huh!)....

Then again.. I have many masculine qualities to my personality.  I dunno... I like feminine men! big_smile

ohhai

Dec 21 08 11:03 pm Link

Model

Richard E

Miami Lakes, Florida, US

Kristofer Hilton wrote:
It's interesting that you guys are mentioning this because I've always kind of noticed that the high end designers typically use skinny male models and now it's happening more and more.

I consider myself one of the "Skinny Male Models" though I'm not a professional model by any means what-so-ever, I've done some shoots here and there but nothing major. It's good to know that people like me could have a shot at runway.

Agreed!

Dec 21 08 11:03 pm Link

Model

Greg0riaN

Athens, Attikí, Greece

guess what? im skinny.. and with pale skin! tongue does that makes me trendy? or should i cut my long hair too?

Dec 22 08 10:17 am Link

Photographer

LarsLarsen

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

I never knew that.  Perhaps I should put this camera down and find a fashion agent.  I'm 6'1" 126lbs.

Dec 22 08 10:32 am Link