Forums > General Industry > Portfolio style?

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Sometimes when a model wants to shoot with me for their portfolio and I ask them what kind of photos they are interested in, they say "like your portfolio".  This confuses me because, in my mind, my portfolio contains a variety of styles and techniques from outdoor natural lighting to "glossy" studio lighting and mixtures of the two, casual portrait style to risque glamour, etc etc.

I guess it's cool that dispite these differences there's still a consistent style between them that people recognize and that I can call my own.  But I can't cover all that in one photoshoot.  I supose I just need to get used to asking people to be more specific.

No point really, just something that I have been thinking about lately and wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.  I always thought the differences were obvious and didn't expect this kind of thing to happen, but I guess that's because I know all the details of what goes into making each photo.

Feb 10 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Nope haven't had that, but I've gotten wierd looks from some people when I pull out a hard-copy portfolio.  Apparently, around here, everything's digital.  We're not exactly an entertainment hub, so I have to send all my stuff usually digitally to agencies and all..

Maybe you're getting that response b/c the models are people who don't really KNOW what they want... or think that your 'portfolio style' means you can make any girl gorgeous.

Feb 10 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Funny, sometimes I think some models do think I can make them look like another model that they bare no resemblence too.  Sometimes I've asked them to pick specific images that they like and they always mention the tanning bed shot.  I'm like, "Sorry, I don't carry the tanning bed around to all my shoots..." wink

Feb 10 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

What irks me is after spending months planning a shoot, collaborating with the model on hair/makeup/styling, location, set design etc.. the moment I share the photos, models will be banging down my door saying "I want a shoot like that!" TFP, of course.

...as if I create templates for these ideas and can just cookie cutter them to fit anyone. Sorry, but the ideas I shoot are sort've a one-time deal and specific to each model. Unless you're gonna pay me to duplicate a shot I already did, I really have no reason to repeat it or have room in my book for it.

Feb 11 06 08:31 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

A model is the photographer's muse so I like to go with what they have in mind.  I shoot with more than one photographer evidently in order to acheive different looks.  They contact you because they like your style and they want to add that into their portfolio.

Feb 11 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

I would say, oh the naked pictures?

Feb 14 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Diana Moffitt wrote:
A model is the photographer's muse so I like to go with what they have in mind.  I shoot with more than one photographer evidently in order to acheive different looks.  They contact you because they like your style and they want to add that into their portfolio.

I like you approach, the model as the photographers muse, I tend to shoot with many different models, I would like to develop more a muse/photographer relationship with a model for personal projects....I find the artist /muse relationship a facinating one.

-Bronek

Feb 15 06 02:04 am Link