Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Diet Soda makes you Fat?

Model

Arika

Riverside, California, US

A couple of days ago I read that research has shown diet soda causes you to gain weight.  Has anyone else heard this? And, has anyone stopped drinking diet soda and noticed any weight loss?  Just curious.

Jun 17 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Do you have access to the research?

I drink way to much diet soda but I am fit.

The logic behind the soda making you that is it fools you body somehow.  I have heard it before but the research does not seem complete.

Jun 17 05 06:26 pm Link

Model

Arika

I'll see if I can find the article.  It was a Netscape news article.  The scientists doing the researchers said they had no idea why diet soda drinkers gained weight.

Jun 17 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

One thing that I am aware of now is the fact that I might be drinking too much liquids.  Diet soda drinkers often consume a large amount.

But sometimes scientists need to use logic with research more.

Jun 17 05 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I switched from regulaer to diet soda,and lost ten pounds,

Star

Jun 17 05 07:11 pm Link

Model

Arika

I can't find the article, but from what I remember the researchers said the findings didn't make much since to them either.  There does not seem to be any reason diet soda would make you fat since it is calorie free.  I usually consume large amounts of diet soda and water and I don't think the soda has caused me to gain any weight.   

Jun 17 05 07:24 pm Link

Model

Arika

Posted by marksora: 
One thing that I am aware of now is the fact that I might be drinking too much liquids.  Diet soda drinkers often consume a large amount.

Why do you think you are drinking to many liquids?

Jun 17 05 07:26 pm Link

Model

Arika

I couldn't find the original article I read, but I found a similar one.  Here's the link:   http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159579,00.html

Jun 17 05 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I consume a tremendous amount of fluids in a day.

There was a recent study which I will retrieve that found that people who work out could be in danger of DRINKING TOO much.

I will be back.

t woke me up for I drink a tremendous amount of fluids everyday.

Plus the fact that my mother has very mild diabetes, and my old head injury.

I will have to check it out more but interesting and somewhat logical.

But no prejudging of the info for me. Just one study.

========================
Here is some of the information,

A new medical study has information about a condition that could threaten the lives of marathon runners. Sports enthusiasts and sports doctors are reading this study in todays New England Journal of Medicine with lots of interest.

Once, it was believed dehydration was the problem to watch for, but this study shows the more serious problem for marathoners is too much water.

We've all seen the cups of water offered to marathoners. Drinking enough water during a long race is always a concern. But a study done on marathoners in Boston showed that the problem at the finish line was not dehydration but hyponatremia.

Dr. Lewis Maharam, NYC Marathon Medical Director: "Your sodium level gets too low and it gets too low because you dilute yourself from drinking too much."

Drinking too much either water or sports drinks can cause a runner to get very sick or in rare cases, die. The Boston study showed that 13 percent of the runners studied showed the effects of too much water.

Dr. Lewis Maharqam is the medical director for the New York City Marathon.

Dr. Lewis Maharam, NYC Marathon Medical Director: "They get nausea, diarrhea, sleepiness, coma, seizures or death."

What happens when too much water is taken in during a long period of heavy exercise is that the kidneys cannot excrete the water; Cells throughout the body become engorged and in some cases that includes cells in the brain stem, which becomes compressed and vital functions like breathing are threatened.

The risk is only after heavy exertion of several hours.

Mark Paulonis has run in 9 marathons - in New York and around the country. He says water is always in the back of a runner's mind during a marathon. He's had the experience of not drinking enough, as well as drinking too much.

Mark Paulonis, Marathon Runner: "I've had too much where liquid is sloshing and uncomfortable and then I've had races where I haven't had enough."

In our city's marathon, a lot of education goes into fluid intake - no more than one cup every 20 minutes. There have been few cases of hyponeutriea. According to Dr. Maharam, the deaths around the country have happened usually because the runners pass out, they're mistakenly thought to be dehydrated and are give intravenous liquids, which exacerbates the problem. All of that is changing, particularly with studies like this one.

that was from www.7online.com

Jun 17 05 07:31 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's a danger that those who think they're being "good" by drinking diet soft drinks will feel they have carte blanche to eat more high-calorie food. Think of the guy who orders a Big Mac, large fries and a DIET coke. Not fooling anyone.

It's taking in more calories than you burn that makes you fat.

Jun 17 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

This is the information from the New England Journal of Medicine.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/352/15/1550

I will figure out how to link it but I am busy now.

And this is the first page.

Background Hyponatremia has emerged as an important cause of race-related death and life-threatening illness among marathon runners. We studied a cohort of marathon runners to estimate the incidence of hyponatremia and to identify the principal risk factors.

Methods Participants in the 2002 Boston Marathon were recruited one or two days before the race. Subjects completed a survey describing demographic information and training history. After the race, runners provided a blood sample and completed a questionnaire detailing their fluid consumption and urine output during the race. Prerace and postrace weights were recorded. Multivariate regression analyses were performed to identify risk factors associated with hyponatremia.

Results Of 766 runners enrolled, 488 runners (64 percent) provided a usable blood sample at the finish line. Thirteen percent had hyponatremia (a serum sodium concentration of 135 mmol per liter or less); 0.6 percent had critical hyponatremia (120 mmol per liter or less). On univariate analyses, hyponatremia was associated with substantial weight gain, consumption of more than 3 liters of fluids during the race, consumption of fluids every mile, a racing time of >4:00 hours, female sex, and low body-mass index. On multivariate analysis, hyponatremia was associated with weight gain (odds ratio, 4.2; 95 percent confidence interval, 2.2 to 8.2), a racing time of >4:00 hours (odds ratio for the comparison with a time of

Jun 17 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

My Buddy Piper says that its the carbonation that makes you fat..
Try drinking fruit juice

Jun 17 05 07:37 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fizzy beverages will often make you *feel* fat. All that gas.

I rarely drink soda. I stick to water mostly, and a little fruit juice, soy milk and crystal lite. And tea. I loves the tea!

Jun 17 05 07:43 pm Link

Model

Arika

Carbonation will temporarily make you bloated, but not fat.

Jun 17 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

The carbination does not make you fat but It can increase the size of the stomach.

Most fruit juices today have more calories than regular soda.
Unfortunately most fruit juice are now mixed with grape and apple juices.

But pure cranberry and grapefruit juices are great.

Grapefruit juice can alter the effect of many medicines on your body.  Some people who take certain medicine cannot drink grapefruit juice while taking medicine.

Jun 17 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Diet sodas make you fat the same way ice cream causes violence.

Jun 17 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

I have of the Spice war,  the Cola war in Australia,  the Chocolate war,  but the Ice cream war is a new one.

Jun 18 05 09:50 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 
Diet sodas make you fat the same way ice cream causes violence.

I thought ice cream just caused drowning?

Jun 18 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

soda=sugar
sugar=calories
excess calories=stored fat

diet soda has much less sugar, and may reduce the chance of gaining weight.  But to be honest, soda alone has very little if any effect on your weight (assuming you don't drink cans of the stuff all day, or a whole 2 litre per day).  You also have to factor in the amount of daily activity and you overall diet.

Jun 18 05 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Wow, that is reading the thread.

UPdate after the update.

I drink often more than a 2 liter bottle a day easy.

Jun 18 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Posted by Gary L.: 
soda=sugar
sugar=calories
excess calories=stored fat

diet soda much has less sugar, and may reduce the chance of gaining weight.  But to be honest, soda alone has very little if any effect on your weight (assuming you don't drink cans of the stuff all day, or a whole 2 litre per day).  You also have to factor in the amount of daily activity and you overall diet.

lots of people *do* drink cases of soda a day though.  My boss was drinking about a gallon of Coca Cola every day, then he quit and lost 20 lbs in a few months. 

anyway, i just avoid drinking soda altogether.  I'll have one with a meal maybe twice a week, but it's not a snacky thing to me.  soda is a *major* sugar/calorie intake that people don't often think of because... it's liquid, i guess.  3 cans of soda or a piece of cheesecake? it's all the same...

Jun 18 05 10:36 am Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Just go to water.  The bottom line is that soda, diet or otherwise, is loaded with chemicals your body does not need or want.

Jun 18 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Yes but water is boring. 

When I am not lazy,  I make a lemon water with just a touch of sugar.

But I do love bubbles.

Jun 18 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Posted by Amanda Schlicher: 

lots of people *do* drink cases of soda a day though.  My boss was drinking about a gallon of Coca Cola every day, then he quit and lost 20 lbs in a few months. 

holy shit, that's a lot of soda.  If anything, you should be drinking a gallon f water.  1 or 2 cans a day i think is ok, but anything more is not good.  Maybe it's because I'm diabetic, I'm always concerned by the amount of sugar intake. 

BTW, some jucies (including OJ) can contain more sugar than soda.  And drinking water has become boring to me, so I drink lots of diets ice tea now.  When i'm not lazy, I preferr to make green tea, unsweatened.

Jun 18 05 11:25 am Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

Gotta watch it with diet sodas anyway.  The artificial sweetener used turns to formaldehyde in the human body, and that can't be a good thing.

I drink a lot of water, a little coffee every day or so.  Green tea is my main weakness.

Jun 18 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I don't think soda is good for your skin.

Jun 18 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by Arika: 
A couple of days ago I read that research has shown diet soda causes you to gain weight.  Has anyone else heard this? And, has anyone stopped drinking diet soda and noticed any weight loss?  Just curious. 

I am positive that this is true, except it is not only diet soda it is all soda! I saw my sister over Christmas and she had lost a lot of weight and she said that she always used to drink a lot of soda, and she cut that out and voila! Lost all this weight. There is no need to quit eating  your favorite foods as long as you don't combine them with a massive hit of sugar and carbonation -- just not good for your digestion or metabolism.

The dangers of diet drinks are beyond weight gain. Some artificial sweeteners can be carcinogenic.

Posted by !MDF: 
Yes but water is boring. 

When I am not lazy,  I make a lemon water with just a touch of sugar.

But I do love bubbles.

I have found that when water doesn't do it for me, I get a natural soda water (Talking Rain) and maybe mix it with some fruit juice. Not the healthiest thing, but better than other stuff. Soda water, as bad as it may taste at first, is very thirst-quenching.

Jun 18 05 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Gary L.: 

Posted by Amanda Schlicher: 

holy shit, that's a lot of soda.  If anything, you should be drinking a gallon f water.  1 or 2 cans a day i think is ok, but anything more is not good.  Maybe it's because I'm diabetic, I'm always concerned by the amount of sugar intake. 
BTW, some jucies (including OJ) can contain more sugar than soda.  And drinking water has become boring to me, so I drink lots of diets ice tea now.  When i'm not lazy, I preferr to make green tea, unsweatened.

Please read the thread.  This thread is mostly about Diet soda. 

It is obvious that a large amount of regular soda in such quantities is harmful. 

The same issue the original poster was making could be made for a large amount of diet iced teas.  The research the original poster speaks of concerns the fact that the artifical sweetners fool the mind and body somehow to make you eat more.

Foods with good fat often make you do the opposite.
Please read the thread.

There are three major issues here. 

The effect of a large amount or any amount of artifical sweetner on the mind and body.

The effect of carbination on the body.(interesting but not really the point.)

The effect of excessive drinking of anything even water.
As a diabetic,  you should be aware that one can drink TOO MUCH.

The large intake of sugar is an issue in America and a possible cause of diabeties.  But I do blieve that is quite obvious and not the issue here.

Jun 18 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

I can read. I was just giving my thoughts on both Soda and Diet Soda (which i don't drink). BTW, you aren't saying anyting either.

Jun 18 05 07:07 pm Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

try replacing soda with water..
I took a month with only water, and now i dislike sodas of all kinds immensely.. lol smile and my skin is nicer big_smile

Jun 18 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Another note,

On carbination,  There have been studies and there are studies underway on the possibility that people who consume a large amount of carbinated drink,  run the risk of throat cancer.

The studies are limited to this point but there is concern within the medical field.

Jun 18 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by marksora: 
To you have access to the research.

I dring way to much diet soda but fit.

The logic behind the soda making you fat is it fools you body somehow.  I have heard it before but the research does not seem complete.

Wow!!
You coulda fooled me!

Jun 18 05 07:30 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I wouldn't know, I don't drink soda because it hurts my stomach and it's not good for you.  But mostly because it hurts my stomach.  So I drink a lot of juices and water.

Jun 18 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

Hi all!!  My take here is a bit different.  I gave up soda, bottled tea etc months ago and instead drink bottled water with a squirt of lemon juice and "stevia" as a sweetner.  FYI......... the FDA forbids calling stevia a sweetner (thanx to the sugar industrial lobbying efforts), but is sold as a diet supplement.  It's a "natural" sweetner, like sugar, from a bush/plant originally from South America, has has about 60% of the sweetner market in countries like Japan, etc.  Accepted pretty much world-wide and has been shown as better than sugar in foreign science/med reports.  Should be able to find more info at:  stevia. org  or stevia.com.  I buy it in packets from GNC @ $10/1000 ......... and 2 packets to typical bottle of water makes it very sweet.  Remember........ no chemicals involved!!!

Jun 18 05 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen �: 

Wow!!
You coulda fooled me!

That went over my head for a while.  I do often speak mumble.

See the nutrasweet is causing Havoc with my brain cells,  let me count them.  I do love the edit button.

Good show, and well done.

Mark Leighty, 

Great idea.  I am not familiar with that product, though I have been to Japan many times.  Maybe, because I do not read Japanese and do not know, what I am eating half the time.

Jun 18 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

Well........ give it a try!!  I swear by stevia........ and swear "AT" everything else!!

Jun 18 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Seth: 
Just go to water.  The bottom line is that soda, diet or otherwise, is loaded with chemicals your body does not need or want.

EXACTLY!

Jun 18 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by DreamPretty�: 

I have found that when water doesn't do it for me, I get a natural soda water (Talking Rain) and maybe mix it with some fruit juice. Not the healthiest thing, but better than other stuff. Soda water, as bad as it may taste at first, is very thirst-quenching. 

Remind me never to kiss you after you had some acid rain drink... that means... if we EVER would meet and had a reason to kiss... LOL

Jun 18 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Seth: 

EXACTLY!

If I know it is bad for me but cannot or will not stop,  what does that make me? 

Addicted or a masochist?

===

I do know from first hand knowledge that old outdated or old heated nutrasweet can be very, VERY, very bad for you.
Long story but I know. 

But I still drink the stuff.

Okay I will stop,...... Tomorrow after my stash is gone.
you do not expect me to dump it down the toilet due you.

Jun 18 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Beer has bubbles right?

Please tell me Beer is still going to have bubbles.

Jun 18 05 08:43 pm Link