Forums > General Industry > Photographers Taking Models for Granted

Model

RunwayCatwalker

Photographers tend to complain that models dont show up  for shoots,which is ok but some photographers take models time and commitment for granted.
Model Mayhem is where aspiring models/struggling models and maybe struggling photographers meet and work together. You can easily make or break your career by your behaviour.

Its unfair for me as model to agree to  do TFP CD  shoot with whatever # of  touched pictures the contract says, then wait for 2months or more without getting my pictures, while the photographer uses my images the very first week of the shoot on MM!  while  I have to push and ask for my images taking me months and still not get them!  He cant even initiate an email to say why so long or apologise for delay,its almost as if he is doing me a favour! Also its almost like where a photographer does TFP CD, he doesnt make that much effort to give the model what the contract says but puts more effort on those models who pay him  for shoots!

At this time I wont say who it is(photographer) But I'm hoping everyone will get my point, because we can make and break each other:

The photographer has had his chance to use my images back in the 2nd week of december and I still have to ask him for my images, not even the one image of me that  he used on MM gave me a copy to put in my MM profile, and yet I kept asking him for it over and over!!

I mean you get what you want as photographer ,As a result of my good work as model, a lot models want to work with  you photographer, I also as model can recommend some models to work with that  photographer.
Its Funny because I want to only work paid assignments but when I choose to do TFP CD with touched images with a recommended photographer, I only do it with photographers that I think are worth it,just like he does too, but to have that experience where my time is taken for granted is so unprofessional and unfair.

How are we  as models going to trust photographers we meet on this site?  and also Its not fair for MM website owners!

I see the same photographer chatting on shout box  on MM everyday!!

Feb 11 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

nevermind

Feb 11 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

bel panther wrote:
Photographers tend to complain that models dont show up  for shoots,which is ok but some photographers take models time and commitment for granted.
Model Mayhem is where aspiring models/struggling models and maybe struggling photographers meet and work together. You can easily make or break your career by your behaviour.

LOL and maybe struggling photographers? I say 80% of the photographers here are still LEARNING, too, regardless of how much some profess to be the greatest of all time. The images say it all, forget what the font reads. I think models and photographers alike "take one another for granted" the people who do this, would be this way in any profession. They're too self centered to realize without one another, their presence in the "fashion" world, wouldn't exist. This will forever be a topic because models (specifically female models) are always told by average men how "cute" they are and how sexy they are, and how they should model. These "green" ladies forget, the men expressing such drivel, more than likely give compliments to get rewarded, or at least try to get rewarded. Instead of looking at it from a realistic point of view, some begin to develop a queen attitude. This is often checked when they run into the "right" one.

Photographers, sometimes are often told by naive women(heck and beautiful women are naive too) that their work is amazing and "oh my God, you are so awesome" these average photographers, may live in a very small town or city, whereas a step up from the average Walmart photo session has qualified him/her as a photographic God. Not taking into account, that this person has never really researched great photographers and that no one will REALLY tell a photographer their work is CRAP to their faces. These poor souls, let their egos get so huge, that when they really do run into the "right" one that'll express this to them, they get quite angry and defensive.

Is it all really about people who are so corny, that they can't take compliments, say thank you and remain objective about their own "work" or their appearence?

Again I turn on my L's....Laugh and continue to Learn....

Feb 11 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

If you want professional results and service goto a professional photographer and pay for his services.

Or if nothing else instead of TFP pay the photographer a small fee and get a receipt so you at least have some legal standing if he doesn't give you anything in return.

Feb 11 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

Best thing to do is bug the hell out of him and eventually he'll give in.

Feb 14 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Maybe make sure the release form gives a period in which the images will be supplied !

Feb 15 06 11:00 am Link

Model

NotBrunette

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Wow. I totally agree.
I just did a shot with someone off here who promised TFCD.
After I signed the model release, he reniged and told me not to expect a CD.
I drove over an hour and wasted my whole day.
I am not expecting any images.
For all I know, he got unflattering angles and, with the model release, is selling my images...
With another photographer, he said last week after almost 2 months... that he was sending the CD.
He lives practically across town and I've not gotten the CD.

It's ironic that the paid work and the straight TFP with no model release signed... I've had BETTER luck getting my images back!

This is why I've decided to treat the model release and the work separate. I'll do TFP occasionally, but need some compensation if I give up my rights to the images. I need to see the images, have prints, have a cd before I will consider signing a release (unless I've worked with the person before).

It's annoying to work with someone who seems nice, to know you're getting great images, and yet to see NOTHING from your HARD work

PS: From what I've read, a model release with no compensation is considered an invalid contract anyway... I think it's debatable if a CD is considered "compensation" or not...

Feb 15 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

JessieB wrote:
I think it's debatable if a CD is considered "compensation" or not...

That depends whats on it. A blank CD wouldnt very useful, a CD with fantastic shots would be worth its weight in gold.

Feb 15 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Bangerman wrote:

That depends whats on it. A blank CD wouldnt very useful, a CD with fantastic shots would be worth its weight in gold.

I couldnt agree with you more.. well put!

Feb 15 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Sorry----didn't mean to double post.

Feb 15 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I never take the models I work with for granted. :-)  Can either person alone produce the images?  No.  It takes both a model and a photographer.

People, if you agree to provide something, carry through on the deal. Honor the contract.  Be a person "of your word". It is the only respectable thing to do.

I'll get off my soap box now.  LOL

Feb 15 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I try to share approx 5 images via email with the model and MUA (when applicable) within a few days of the shoot.  That way at least they know that something resulted from the shoot and they aren't getting screwed.  I have 3 jobs, so it's hard for me to spend hours and hours at a time editing hundreds of pictures.  It might take me several weeks to get the pics back to the model, but I let them know if there will be some sort of unusual delay.

Feb 15 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

rjcarroll

Linden, New Jersey, US

My best suggestion is to ask for references, which everyone should do anyway. When checking references, after asking about the ethical practices of a photographer find out how long it took the reference to receive his/her cd/photos. If it is unfavourable, look elsewhere.

In my release I state what the model shall receive and the time frame they will receive it. A cd with x amount of finished images within x amount of days. That elimates the risk of a blank cd sent as compensation and a bad reference. If it is not in the release, ask for that information to be included prior to the shoot. Hope someone can find this information useful. Good luck!

Feb 15 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

Brandy Wine

Huntington Beach, California, US

bel panther wrote:
te]

Feb 15 06 05:47 pm Link

Model

Brandy Wine

Huntington Beach, California, US

I agree 100% I went to go on a shoot that was two and half hours away, got about half way because of traffic, decided to call and let the photogragher know I was going to be a little late and he told methat there was no shoot that day.  After I told him that I had it written down in my planner and on my calander    he decided to tell me that he didnt take me seriously and shot some other model and that I should have called him a day or two  ahead of the shoot to confirm after I had already confirmed and talked to him on the phone.  I was not happy at all and asked him why he didnt take me seriously and than he told me that he had just forgot and this sort of thing happens in this industry.

Feb 15 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Stalk him and boil his pet rabbits until he sends the CD.  Don't be IGNORED! ;-)

Feb 15 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

bel panther wrote:

Its unfair for me as model to agree to  do TFP CD  shoot with whatever # of  touched pictures the contract says, then wait for 2months or more without getting my pictures, while the photographer uses my images the very first week of the shoot on MM!  while  I have to push and ask for my images taking me months and still not get them!  He cant even initiate an email to say why so long or apologise for delay,its almost as if he is doing me a favour! Also its almost like where a photographer does TFP CD, he doesnt make that much effort to give the model what the contract says but puts more effort on those models who pay him  for shoots!

At this time I wont say who it is(photographer) But I'm hoping everyone will get my point, because we can make and break each other:

The photographer has had his chance to use my images back in the 2nd week of december and I still have to ask him for my images, not even the one image of me that  he used on MM gave me a copy to put in my MM profile, and yet I kept asking him for it over and over!!

I mean you get what you want as photographer ,As a result of my good work as model, a lot models want to work with  you photographer, I also as model can recommend some models to work with that  photographer.
Its Funny because I want to only work paid assignments but when I choose to do TFP CD with touched images with a recommended photographer, I only do it with photographers that I think are worth it,just like he does too, but to have that experience where my time is taken for granted is so unprofessional and unfair.

How are we  as models going to trust photographers we meet on this site?  and also Its not fair for MM website owners!

I see the same photographer chatting on shout box  on MM everyday!!

Just right click on his new images of you and save them to your hard drive.   Now you have them.

Feb 16 06 09:04 am Link