Forums > General Industry > New and Beginner Models with Rates ? ? ? Duhhhhh

Photographer

Glamour1 Studio

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lately . . . I've noticed a new breed of Models.
The Self Appointed Professional . . . 
The young lady who always wanted to be a model or has been in a couple of High School or Low Budget Fashion Shows . . .
She shoots with 1 or 2 Photographers who have skills!
Or better than that . . . A Dude With a Digital - LOL !
She post her pictures on a Site . . .Gets a Little Attention . . .
And the Next thing you Know! ! !

SHE GOT RATES . . . . .     
AND MAYBE A MANAGER
                                         "omg"
Can someone Please Help Me Understand This  ? ? ?
This is a real issue . . .
Do anybody watch America's Top Model ?   Hello  ? ? ?

PS- What Happened to the Process ? ? ?
Everybody wants to be the chosen one. Without doing the work !
WSUP ?

Feb 11 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

My opinion is that new models should not have rates, until they can honestly say that the photographer is NOT doing them a favor of shooting them and that they, the model, is doing the photographer a service by shooting with them.

edit:

after reading through the rest of this thread, it is my opinion that I no longer have an opinion about when models should charge There are just too many angles to consideer.

Feb 11 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Angel Tara wrote:
My opinion is that new models should not have rates

I think we all should have rates, models and photographers. Although they should depend on the level of experience.Think of it as if you are a kid and are about to go get your first job. Chances are your first will be a minimum wage job. If you are lucky, someone will believe in you a bit more and offer you more. If not, chances are, the more job experience you get, the more you make along the way.

Feb 11 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

DJ wrote:

You don`t consider that show reality, do you?

Feb 11 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Angel Tara wrote:
My opinion is that new models should not have rates, until they can honestly say that the photographer is NOT doing them a favor of shooting them and that they, the model, is doing to photographer a service by shooting with them.

Agree.
But its 95% the clients that pay models in my biz.
They also pay me.
I wont take no show or late shows for a model on commerical work.
She must barter withe big company or the ad agency.
I wont risk a $$$$ account.

E L

Feb 11 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I think we all should have rates, models and photographers. Although they should depend on the level of experience.Think of it as if you are a kid and are about to go get your first job. Chances are your first will be a minimum wage job. If you are lucky, someone will believe in you a bit more and offer you more. If not, chances are, the more job experience you get, the more you make along the way.

whoa...

without cutting me off at my first sentence, we are basically saying the same thing...

my rate, as a new model, was my time. in exchange for my time, I received a cd. my time is valuable, so I consider this a valid rate.

If you charge money, as a new model, many good photographers will not shoot with you, and you are therefor cutting your nose off in spite of your face.

Feb 11 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

"Experience" is a 'net concept of model worth.  Clients hire the look, unless they are hiring for a specific talent.

Photographers not shooting for a "specific client look" seem to equate worth based on the number of shoots a model has under the belt.  I suspect the correlation has to do with how much direction is needed and the ability to bring creative ideas to the table.

Feb 11 06 08:35 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

E L Fanucchi wrote:
Agree.
But its 95% the clients that pay models in my biz.
They also pay me.
I wont take no show or late shows for a model on commerical work.
She must barter withe big company or the ad agency.
I wont risk a $$$$ account.

E L

very true...

I was only speaking of models on the net with "rates."

I much prefer a deal with a client.

Feb 11 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

Who cares?

I know the O.P. is merely... bemused... but I've seen people get pretty worked up about this before, so I just wanted to throw down my 2 cents (which I'm going to start demanding 3.5 cents for when I sign with my new agent).

Every day, in every city town and village in the world, there are people confidently demanding something they haven't earned, and don't deserve. Sometimes they even get it.

But not from me.

I'm more likely to hand a fiver to a homeless drunk than $45/hr to some apprentice pouty poser. Unless I can photograph her cleaning my apartment and doing my laundry... (she still has to do her own makeup, though)

Feb 11 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

WCF Productions

Dillon, Montana, US

I have always found that amusing. The fact that someone just entering the modeling world thinks they can ask for rates. I don't mind paying an experienced model rates. With their experience, the working relationship and the finished product is all that much better. Paying an inexperienced model rates is just like throwing money out the window. I have been fortunate that most of the beginning models I have worked with have asked for prints or contact sheet.

Feb 11 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

If the model charges those rates and manages to get them, more power to them!

It always amuses me to see people knocking others who feel they are worth something and post to let others know their rate.

If they are NOT worth what they are asking, don't worry...they won't find any work and reality will begin to sink in.  No one is forcing YOU to hire them at those rates.

Concentrate on YOUR own worth...and work on building that.

BTW, you do not need to be a model or photographer for however long some of you seem to equate with being a "professional" so that you can start charging.

In the case of models...if your "looks" are great and people are willing to pay the rates you ask (even if you have NO EXPERIENCE)...more power to you!  Charge the maximum that you can to obtain the maximum amount of work that you are willing to do at that rate!  (Man...wish I had paid a bit more attention in statistics/economics class...as that math would have been useful just now...lol).

The same applies to photographers who produce great work.  You are worth whatever people are willing to pay you at any given time.  Period.

I've known some "models" and some "photographers" who have been at it "forever" and still produce mediocre work.

Regards,

Denoy

Feb 11 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

easyonthe eyes wrote:
Who cares?

so I just wanted to throw down my 2 cents (which I'm going to start demanding 3.5 cents for when I sign with my new agent).

LMAO!

Feb 11 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

If a new model is attractive enough to get paid, more power to her.   Despite rhetoric to the contrary, modeling isn't exactly a talent contest and she's certainly not a charity.  This is a free market and a model is free to set her rates that will get her the amount of work she wants, not satisfy some arbitrary rules established by an opinion poll.  A complete bimbo can still deliver her looks to a shoot.  Photographers are free not to work with her.

The same applies to photographers, but photography is more skill intensive.  You're free to buy a camera and start charging for paid shoots the same day, but if you don't deliver anything for the money you're paid, you won't get much business.

I have nothing good to say about "model managers".  Usually, they are nothing but skirt chasing weekend amateurs whose only interest is using photography as a way to hang out with pretty girls.  In the world of internet modeling, they are most often worse than useless, scaring away potential work. 

My humble opinion, of course.

-Dave

EDIT:  Disclaimer:  I'm referring to internet models and photographers in case it's not obvious.

Feb 11 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

pro·fes·sion·al
adj.
    a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
    b. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

That said, one of the main reasons the quality of many things decline is that so many claim a title without earning it. Having photos makes someone a model as much as having a camera makes someone a photographer. You train to become a professional and take the needed steps to get to that point.

The image industry isn't like all other industries and that's obvious. I see so many copy what they see from those who are more advanced. You can't step on the scene and just "act" like you're professional. There are so many right now who paint a bad image of a professional simply by pretending they are one.

Angel Tara, I think you said it all best. Your thought process sets a good example.

Feb 11 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

DJ wrote:
The young lady who always wanted to be a model or has been in a couple of High School or Low Budget Fashion Shows . . .

SHE GOT RATES . . . . .     
AND MAYBE A MANAGER
                                         "omg"

WSUP ?

Since I shoot to add images to my stock file, I have no problem paying new models, if I can see some good snapshots, plus get honest stats. I prefer that she not have worked with a lot of other photographers, but just show up on time. I think that the freshness in new models is worth as much as a lot of experence.

If she were to take any job, even working in McDonalds, she would be paid from the first hour, and not after she has served ten thousand burgers.

But if I was doing agency work again, the models would be picked by some one else, and the money would not come out of my pocket.

As far as a dude with a digital. Just where in the He*L are you coming from. I am dying to get one of the new medium format digitals to replace my 8x10 film camera.

Feb 11 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

The more I see this, the less it irritates me and the more it amuses me.

I totally think people -both models and their photographer counterparts-  should charge whatever the heck they want.  Seriously.  People should be welcome to come up with their rate no matter how unreasonable or unfounded.  Why?

If -when the planets align, the moon goes blue, hell freezes over and pigs fly out of someone's ass- they stumble upon some poor sap willing to pay their outlandish rate, then fine. 

Otherwise they'll price themselves out of existence and will quickly be out of everyone's hair...

Feb 11 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I have already posted about this one in other places but ... the situation that just annoys me on one level and makes me laugh on another level is when a model with absolutely no experience and/or credits has the proverbial "$8,000 minimum and I DON'T SHOOT NUDES (unless, of course you are paying $10,000) and I will have 87 bodyguards from Joey The Internet Manager Dymes who will kick your ass if you even breathe in the same airspace as my b(o)(o)bies and please remember that I am an AR-TEEST!"

Next. < insert silly grin >

Feb 11 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
"Experience" is a 'net concept of model worth.  Clients hire the look, unless they are hiring for a specific talent.

Photographers not shooting for a "specific client look" seem to equate worth based on the number of shoots a model has under the belt.  I suspect the correlation has to do with how much direction is needed and the ability to bring creative ideas to the table.

We have to stop agreeing like this. This is almost as scary as when I agree with Theda!

Feb 12 06 12:51 am Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I suppose I still qualify as 'new' since I'm 'new' with the look I have post-baby ...

BUUUUUT

I have rates available for clients who ARE looking to pay.  I gladly accept most reasonable TFP that comes my way because I enjoy doing it.  However, if someone asks me, "Hey what do you charge" I have the rate sheet available.  Granted, I'm pretty f'in reasonable.  I charge no more than 50.00/hr and that's for figure work.  I see it as, 50/hr for some photos... or 5.15/hr at Mcdonalds... hrm...

Those chicks that charge 150/hr for lingerie right out of the gate are CRAZY.

Feb 12 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

I actually posted this in another forum about "models with call girl rates" but I think it fits in well here too, as pertains to new/ beginner models.
SO here we go:

Every one has his or her own self worth but some of the "models" should be ashamed of themselves
There are a quite a few models on here (really) that have like 5 pics in their port, all taken by uncle John, and sometimes a GWC.  Then they have a very plain look, and no styling, but yet they have the audacity to have posted on their info section" My rates for Swimsuit are $375, Lingerie $475...etc..." You have got to be kidding me!!!
Now I don't if that is to ward of the vultures, or non-professionals..But I think its higly obsurd....Now there are some polished models on here that you look at their port and say hey, she's hot, she's good, she poses well, she has a good look, those are the ones a "client" wouldn't mind paying some higher amounts to. But The ones mentioned in the previous section, simply preposterous...

Feb 12 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Angel Tara wrote:
My opinion is that new models should not have rates, until they can honestly say that the photographer is NOT doing them a favor of shooting them and that they, the model, is doing to photographer a service by shooting with them.

I agree. I appreciate your wisdom, Angel.

Feb 12 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

area291 wrote:

I never care much for all those projects listed on someone's resume. I want that person's look, or I don't care for it. Simple as that.

Feb 12 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

area291

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:
I never care much for all those projects listed on someone's resume. I want that person's look, or I don't care for it. Simple as that.

Exactly.

The Netographer seems to be the only one concerned with experience level and putting a rate to that for credibility.  Experience has nothing to do with it in the world of modeling.  It only matters for the practice of picture taking, where the model is chosen for other reasons than putting a "look" to the image.

Feb 12 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

area291 wrote:

The one thing you hear on these forums more han anything is that looks isn't as important as experience, talent, and hard work.  It's an idea that refuses to go away.

I think part of it has to do with looks being listed as fifth on this list:

http://newmodels.com/modelintro.html

People seize on that as proof that looks aren't that important.

From my own rather limited experience, an experienced model may be a little easier to work with, but when I pick a model it has nothing to do with tear sheets or years of experience.  Looks is all it's about (and whether I can afford them).

-Dave

Feb 12 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

On Friday I shot a newbie model who got paid a rate. It was an editorial. It was her first job. She'd done 2 tests with her agency.

Of course, this girl was 5'11", a size 2, perfect porcelain skin, 19 years old, with a very beautiful unique editorial look. Not many have genes like that. There was only one attitude she knew how to project, but it fit the general direction of the editorial.

And to make something clear, that rate was paid by the client (the magazine).

Feb 12 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I will agree with Tony and Area with respect to more established photographers and models. Beyond a certain point in the skill set of both, the number of shoots, tearsheets, etc. is probably somewhat irrelevant from a qualitiy standpoint.

My concern with brand new models who make all kinds of demands is that they are usually the ones that "no show," are difficult to work with and present any number of other obstacles to an easy and productive shoot. They are also usually the ones with someone driving them to be that way, which just provides another unproductive complication. On the other hand, there are plenty of very attractive women who are just nice, reasonable people, and a little lost time due to inexperience is not a big deal when working with them - especially when there isn't a very expensive clock ticking.

Feb 12 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

J Merrill Images wrote:
They are also usually the ones with someone driving them to be that way, which just provides another unproductive complication.

Yup! It beggars the question: Which came first the "rates" or the "manager"?

Studio36

Feb 12 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

All of my photogs shoot digital!  Does that make me an amateur?  LOL smile

Feb 12 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

DJ wrote:

SHE GOT RATES . . . . .     
AND MAYBE A MANAGER
                                         "omg"

WSUP ?

Let's see.  *EVERYONE* has the right to charge for their time, and trouble.

The issue is not having rates, but *REASONABLE* rates.

And, everyone has the right to chose to not want to pay any rates, and get something for free, but that is not "business", and in most cases you get what you pay for.

That said, there is a time and place for TFP, but it's not what makes the world go round.  There's a time, place and need for payments as well.

The problem may be "managers" who try to get a bunch of girls to agree to let them try to get them jobs, and that manager wants paid more badly than the girls do.... Pimps?

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 12 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DJ wrote:

SHE GOT RATES . . . . .     
AND MAYBE A MANAGER
                                         "omg"

WSUP ?

thank you thank you thank you

whatever happened to dues paying and studying and learning and mastering a craft (film, modeling, theatre, acting, music)...

I have a long socio-historical analysis but wont bore anyone....

but I will say this:

technological advances have attributed to the "instant entertainment professional" as well as, okay, here we go: the mass commercialization of Hip Hop......

Feb 12 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think everybody makes way too much of this.  These posts seem to be a weekly thing.

Net photographers want experienced models, agents (and to a large degree casting directors don't care).  Net photographers see a benefit to working with someone who has been in front of the camera,.    Casting directors book the look (how is that for a rhyme) and would put a first time model on a national billboard.  There are just different perspectives.

If you think a model is asking too much, don't shoot her.  If you are right, she will eventually lower her rates or decide not to model.  If she is right, people will pay her.

This issue comes up too often.

Feb 12 06 11:31 am Link

Model

LisaMarie Valencia

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Rates, I believe, are based on experience and popularity.  I've seen models who ask for $5K a day, yet their pictures look like they've been taken with a webcam.  If a model sets her rates at a competitive one, he/she will most likely get more jobs than the model who asks for an arm and a leg;  however, is not worth the money the photographer is paying.

Time is a form of payment;  as well as the CD/Tears the model receives.  With experience comes knowledge;  with knowledge comes better jobs, rates, and clients!

No matter what the "rate" is, models should always be open to negotiations.  You never know who you'll meet or who will see you!

Feb 12 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I think everybody makes way too much of this.  These posts seem to be a weekly thing.

Net photographers want experienced models, agents (and to a large degree casting directors don't care).  Net photographers see a benefit to working with someone who has been in front of the camera,.    Casting directors book the look (how is that for a rhyme) and would put a first time model on a national billboard.  There are just different perspectives.

If you think a model is asking too much, don't shoot her.  If you are right, she will eventually lower her rates or decide not to model.  If she is right, people will pay her.

This issue comes up too often.

firstly the original poster brings up several points, one of which I never see REALLY intelligently discussed and that is the issue of PROCESS. (Please read his post again...)

Secondly, LOL why do people continually feel they have the right to determine what people should and shouldnt discuss...? i.e.  "This issue comes up too often"

Feb 12 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Net photographers want experienced models...

Not this one. 

Foremost, I want models with a face that I like (assuming I intend to use her face), a very slender figure, and long legs. 

Beyond that, I want models with no zits, stretch marks, scars, tan lines, tattoos, or implants. 

When experience can compensate for shortcomings in those areas, I will add it to the list. 

-Dave

Feb 12 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

images by elahi wrote:
firstly the original poster brings up several points, one of which I never see REALLY intelligently discussed and that is the issue of PROCESS. (Please read his post again...)

Secondly, LOL why do people continually feel they have the right to determine what people should and shouldnt discuss...? i.e.  "This issue comes up too often"

If you raise the issue of "Process," what is the process?  In the mainstream the process is that you go to open calls or submit photos to agents in the hope of getting signed.  Nowhere in the "process" is there a requirement that you have experience for an agent to consider you.  Likewise, if an agent signs you, the level of experience you have will have nothing to do with the rates you get paid. 

When agents submit to a project, the project has a rate.  The casting director, art director (or photographer), will select the talent.  Rates are generally set by the number of impressions.  That is the number of people who will see the ad.  Releases are normally useage limited, time limited and may also have geographic restrictions.

The "process" in the mainstream is a grueling routine of going out on casting calls, visiting agents, having a portfolio shot, producing comp cards, etc, etc, etc.  The "process" on the net is something created which is defined by the needs here, not the needs of the industry.  In the end, most of the photographers here are not going to be in the position to hire a model (although some will) and few are going to be in the position to cast them for national publication.

The reason I take offense to the OP is the wording of his post:  New and Beginner Models with Rates ? ? ? Duhhhhh.  I deliberately put an emphasis on the word Duhhhhh.  That title is inappropriate.

I have no problem with making suggestions on how new models should set rates.  I do have a problem with debasing models because they want to be paid.  And that is where I make my statement:  "This issue comes up too often"

Sorry guys, if you can't talk about rates without telling models they are fools, I have a problem.  Too many photographers treat models as second class citizens.  They are an important part of the team.

I happen to believe that both models and photographers should charge what they want to.  Photographers complain that models won't pay them.  In fact, there are dozens of photographers in L.A. that make their living shooting headshots and portfolios.  I think the issue is that the Internet cuts both ways.  Photographers on the net want models to do TFP, but models have been taught to expect the same.  The sword cuts both ways.

The photographers that get paid to do these things market using techniques other than the net, to those who need the service rather than those who trade.  I think it is fair and proper for photographers to try to sell their services.  This is a business.

Models are likewise free to charge as well.  That doesn't mean people will pay them.  However, some models will make a living right off the net.  Others will not and will learn from their mistakes.

But I would never slap a model in the face by using the epiphet:  Duhhhhh to suggest that they were stupid for trying to make money.

While you are berating them, they may be talking to Ford and getting signed.  At that point the $50hr they were asking you for fashion may turn out to be a bargain when Ford would charge yo $200hr or not let you shoot her at all.

The bottom line, talk all you want, that is fine.  There is no need to degrade anyone!

Feb 12 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
Not this one. 

Foremost, I want models with a face that I like (assuming I intend to use her face), a very slender figure, and long legs. 

Beyond that, I want models with no zits, stretch marks, scars, tan lines, tattoos, or implants. 

When experience can compensate for shortcomings in those areas, I will add it to the list. 

-Dave

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more.  I don't do TFP so none of these discussions really make any difference to me anyhow.  I book a model because she has a look I can use.  I have done this long enough that I can decide if I can work with someone.

It doesn't matter how much experience a model has, if she lacks the look, she has no value to me.

Feb 12 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

What bugs me is that they don't see the endgame. $400 for a day right now is great, but most photographers (rightly) refuse to pay that and a model is never going to get decent images that catch the eye of jaded agents and art directors who have already seen what most photographers know how to produce. The endgame is getting those people to notice you and you start booking for $1500-3500 a day with one day off a week. You don't get that by extorting money for a little shoulder.

Feb 12 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

area291

LisaMarie Valencia wrote:
Rates, I believe, are based on experience and popularity.

Why do you believe that?  Read what Alan, Dave and I wrote and you will find those with "experience" don't feel the same way.  That isn't to say we are right, but please give attempt to convince otherwise as we may be approaching this wrong.

Feb 12 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I disagree with the whole you need no experience argument. yes people are hired on there look but if she just stands there like a dead fish will you really get the shot you need. or if you have to keep telling her to look TWARDS the lights (I still forget upon occasion but I am shot from all angles. )
or the model who shows up to a shoot wearing tight bra and then has bra marks on her body? I see a lot of fashion in magazines that would show bad skin marks if they were there. The other complaint I have heard of is from mua's the models who show up with makeup on.

Feb 12 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

area291 wrote:

Exactly.

The Netographer seems to be the only one concerned with experience level and putting a rate to that for credibility.  Experience has nothing to do with it in the world of modeling.  It only matters for the practice of picture taking, where the model is chosen for other reasons than putting a "look" to the image.

Oh yea...

Well I have retracted my statement because I realize that I just don't know.

Feb 12 06 12:52 pm Link