Forums > General Industry > NYC - Reps and Agents - Photographers

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm looking for some feedback from photographers with reps or agents in NYC area....your thoughts, experiences and some recomendations too. How essential is a rep in NYC?

Thanks

Bronek

Feb 11 06 11:44 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

good question.  unfortunately i have the same one!  no answer though! :-)

Feb 11 06 11:47 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Madame, I don't really see you as an agency girl...you can do the same thing I do...promote yourself as the crazy brilliant hot woman you are...you already got some buzz going. Now just make them pay....lol.
Of course, I don't make very much money modeling...
It appears the age of the supermodel is over. Girls are getting paid less for fashion and stuff than they were 10 years ago...or so it appears.

The market is saturated with 5-9 34/24/34 girls who are doing tfp to build their fashion ports before agencies accept them...

You need to hustle and get those paying ART photographers in that area. There are a lot of them.

Feb 11 06 11:55 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am coming to NYC later this month...want to talk about trying to find shoots for both of us? Sometimes, even though it is more expensive, one can sell the photographer on the opportunity to have two such hotties as ourselves playing around in their book...

Feb 11 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Sorry.....I must make things a little clearer....I am male  #1  the avatar is my fav pic....and I am looking for advice from other photographers who have agents or reps for some advice about their agent or rep....I'm looking to come to NYC and am looking for a rep or agent....

...on re-reading my orginal post I can see the confusion...sorry abbout that

-Bronek

Feb 12 06 12:38 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, Lapis, definitely... im an actress too, i was thinking more about an acting agent... but yes.. im gonna PM you

Feb 12 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Bronek, the good ones will want to see a flawless portfolio and a tear sheet track record. That way they can just take your book to their friends and start to get you work. Unfortunately, if you have the track record you don't really need a manager, so it is a vicious cycle.

Better advice: invest in a publicist.

BTW, I'm looking for a publicist myself. If anyone knows someone good who is taking new clients, please let me know by private message.

Feb 12 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

My impression was most photogs in NYC, indeed the states ingeneral had/used agents/reps, so this is indeed interesting to me....a puplicist that is not something I had even considered so thatk-you...looking forward to hearing more...maybe someone that is working with a publicist....

Bronek

Feb 12 06 04:44 am Link

Photographer

JonasJ

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

As Ched says it's really hard because you don't want to pay 30% of your income of the rep dosen't really book you any jobs so you will be needing a good one and a good one will only have you if you are so good they know they will be able to sell you all over and for that you need a really strong book and lot's of references and to get a really strong book and lot's of references you need a good rep so yes it's not an easy task.

It's about finding a rep that belive in you and only take a cut of the deals the rep is making for you not of everything or not a small fee every month or something like that, he needs to be paid for the jobs he's getting for you that's the only thing that can motivate him getting you customers.

I wish I had a lot of expirence in the rep area I could give you but I don't. I have been thinking about find a rep myself in US.

//Jonasj.com

Feb 12 06 04:59 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

A rep is vital if you want the opportunity to make a lot of money.  Although maybe 1% or maybe a little more actually do it full time and make a decent living in nyc.  Most have to waitress or bartend to make ends meet. 

However, not everyone can be a model and don't be disappointed if you don't get picked.  This is a very superficial industry and too many girls and guys take it personally and socially when they should take it from a business standpoint.  Just my two cents wink

Feb 12 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

reps will want to see an existing client base.  some will take you on based upon the quality of your work, but mostly the ball must already be rolling.  fast.

Feb 12 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
A rep is vital if you want the opportunity to make a lot of money.  Although maybe 1% or maybe a little more actually do it full time and make a decent living in nyc.  Most have to waitress or bartend to make ends meet. 

However, not everyone can be a model and don't be disappointed if you don't get picked.  This is a very superficial industry and too many girls and guys take it personally and socially when they should take it from a business standpoint.  Just my two cents wink

He's a photographer, he's not asking about model reps.

Feb 12 06 02:00 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Ched wrote:

He's a photographer, he's not asking about model reps.

This applies to photographers as well as models.  In nyc everyone is a photographer and a model you have to be ready to pitch yourself amongst the best!

Sorry for not reading you were a photog!

Feb 12 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi Bronek,

First thing they all tell you is pick a style and come back in 6 months with a new book. Most reps carry so many talents they don't want confusion between their styles. Once you're established, then they allow you to diversify. It's brutal.

Bob

Feb 12 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Diana Moffitt wrote:

This applies to photographers as well as models.  In nyc everyone is a photographer and a model you have to be ready to pitch yourself amongst the best!

Sorry for not reading you were a photog!

That reminds of a line from a felix da housecat track ..."everyone is someone in LA"

I guess I would love to be able to rip my studio here out of the ground and drop in NYC...(sell the building and retire;)...but seriously I would like the basically do what I am doing here over there...with a few more ad clients in the mix...Things are really very good here BUT the attitude towards photography here and the attitude towards photography there (USA in general) is different, especially at the advertising end....hence the desire to move....

B

Feb 12 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Hi Bronek,

First thing they all tell you is pick a style and come back in 6 months with a new book. Most reps carry so many talents they don't want confusion between their styles. Once you're established, then they allow you to diversify. It's brutal.

Bob

That's what happened to me when I moved to NYC 7 months ago. I went in they wanted me to develop a style, then I sent back and they said where are your tear sheets. Now I have my first tear sheet about to be published (6 page editorial spread in an arts zine) and I want one or two more before I go back to them. Hopefully though, I'll be able to score some commercial work in the meantime. I really want to do high end editorial though.

Feb 12 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Well the impression i'm getting is to make contact, take it on the jin work on the book and keep going back.....can anyone recomend an agaent to, at leat start to make some contact with????

Bronek

Feb 12 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Check Le Book, they have a list of reps on the site.

Feb 12 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Let's start with the essential understanding that a rep is necessary when one has the need for someone else to handle the negotiating and booking of assignments. A rep is not in the business of building talent, rather they represent working professionals who require their service. Additionally, the concept that a rep cares about editorial (which pays crap or less than crap) for any reason other than it will -- so the theory goes -- help convince commercial clients of your oh-so-much-better-than-anyone-else's ability to make a silk purse out of their sow's ear. Wanting editorial as career goal will scare more reps away than entice them. Its a loss leader for them (and for you financially).

If you don't have a solid book with substantial tears and at least 50k/year in regular contracted commercial clients, you are going to have to look at paying publicists (almost as choosey if they are any good) and/or a small draw-vs-commission rep.

It is always better to have representation if that is possible. However, if you are not so busy (ie. not established) that you have the time to self-promote -- a 24/7 job -- then that is what you must do.

And, btw, if you actually need a rep, you have no problem paying their percentages. The alternative -- hiring a bunch of folks and the facilities to do all that a good rep does -- is more expensive and all the risk for success is in your wallet, not shared.

A photographer's representative is not equivalent to a modelling agency. And despite the growing number of photographers in NY or anywhere, there are still the same number of openings in the top 50 photogs (0, this year) than there will ever be in the top 50 models.

I'll shutup now. Hope this was helpful.

Cheers

Feb 13 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

To oldguysrule:

That was very helpful, may ask will an ad agency look at books sent by photographers who do not have a rep....I have a good book, get good jobs here - in an admitedly smaller market, in house producer etc. good studio etc. - but I want to move eventually to the USA, NYC....the impression I have is that art buyers generally wont see a photog directly, they prefer a rep or agent to bring the photogs book in....I am really not too interested in editorial (only as a self promo/awareness...I really am aiming at advertising work....your thoughts...please

Feb 13 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Bronek Kozka wrote:
To oldguysrule:

That was very helpful, may ask will an ad agency look at books sent by photographers who do not have a rep....I have a good book, get good jobs here - in an admitedly smaller market, in house producer etc. good studio etc. - but I want to move eventually to the USA, NYC....the impression I have is that art buyers generally wont see a photog directly, they prefer a rep or agent to bring the photogs book in....I am really not too interested in editorial (only as a self promo/awareness...I really am aiming at advertising work....your thoughts...please

The answer is a qualified yes. Ad agency buyers will look at books directly if you have successfully found a way to court them... Again, its not fair to give any perspective client too much credit and ask that they "imagine" what you can do with a budget and concept. Your book will have to demonstrate that in a very strong and substantial way. Magazine editors are a little easier to court, and with work published the ad agencies become easier.

NY is just a more competitive market with snob justification. Its not as different from local markets as they'd have you believe. Level of work is higher but that is a result of the competition and the budgets available.

Honestly, the most self-responsible way to learn New York is to assist for an established photographer, and some of the artists' reps deal with assistants to support the services they provide their prime photographic talent.

If you can afford a trip to NY, I would suggest contacting all the reps you think you might belong with. (based on the photographers they rep/clients they serve/gaps in their services that you might fill), let them know who you are, that you are successful in your local market, and will be making a trip to NY and would they review your book. Hear what they have to say. It will tell you alot.

NY is brutal, honestly. There IS work here, but the struggle to establish oneself is truly difficult and requires luck, timing, talent, a penchant for networking, the gift of gab, and a unique ability to recoup from a punch to the face. Assisting helps in many ways.

Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more about it at somepoint.

Cheers!

Feb 13 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Bronek Kozka

Thank-you for your response, good to hear that you can get your book to art buyers with-out a rep...the rest of what you say is sort of what I thought....I'm working hard to get some good accounts and campainges under my belt before venturing over maybe next feb for a short trip...but pre-organise some meetings, if possible...

Hope to chat more over time

Bronek

Feb 14 06 06:57 pm Link