Forums > General Industry > Toronto Industry...

Model

Isadora Whitewing

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am aware that there is a big fashion district in Toronto.
There is a big sector that is for the Fetish/Gothic/Cyber/Industrial style.
Is anybody aware of many others?
I have heard of the local highschools/colleges/universities having their own fashion shows.  Also there are out of town fashion designers that come in and do their thing. 
This is more of a question about the Industry in Toronto.
Is it bigger than I think?  Or is this it?

Feb 12 06 05:18 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

I have to say I've gotten a lot of shoots from OneModelPlace and musecube. Take a look there if you haven't already.

Feb 12 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

blackestwidow wrote:
This is more of a question about the Industry in Toronto.
Is it bigger than I think?  Or is this it?

I'm not fully sure about an actual "district," but let's see... does Toronto not have its own fashion week?

I know Mode Models of Calgary frequently works with designers like Paul Hardy in the city, and places models with agencies like Giovanni... Next, possibly Elite, and a few other respectables have offices there. Seems to be a lot more going on fashion-wise than in Vancouver, and I don't believe this was always the case... I'd venture to say that Toronto is Canada's fashion capital, and where many beginner models start out. It's no New York or LA, but one could definitely keep busy enough there... should you get any serious work there, be proud - many models don't get to move past mall fashion shows ;-)

Perhaps I refer to this site way too often, but modelresource.ca has a nice article about working in Toronto :-)

Sonntag

Feb 13 06 02:11 am Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Toronto does have its own fashion week, which is coming up soon (March 13th to 17th). Designers who usually have shows there (in the past few years atleast) include David Dixon, Nevik, Bustle, Paul Hardy, Pat McDonagh, Arthur Mendonca, Kaadiki, Denis Gagnon .. and Pink Tartan seemed to be the big show last season. Before that, the final show was Parasuco which is a big deal with flashing lights, smoke effects, sexy models, and celebrities showing up to watch.. but from my understanding Parasuco isn't so much a "designer"'s show so much as a put together show for entertainment.

This past season there was also a show for the Vespa line of clothing. I've seen Preloved do a show at a different location, but was part of the event. Fashion week is held in Toronto near the exhibition grounds and Ontario Place. It used to be at the Liberty Grand (which is beautiful) but this years shows are held at Muzik - which I'm under the impression was built FOR fashion week, but anybody can correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully next month the place will be finished.. in October, the area that the guests were looked GREAT but backstage was still being built.. there was a lot of tripping over holes in the concrete floor and leaky pipes!

Anyways, going off topic but there are a lot of great Toronto Designers, in my opinion. I just don't think Toronto has as much of a name as it'd like in the fashion industry. Everyone seems to be trying though, and judging by the cost and work pu into fashion week, theres definately money being made somewhere! More celebrities seem to be showing up for it, yet from my understanding, the spring/summer shows in october were held the same time as Montreal's Fashion Week, which seems to do better.

Feb 13 06 09:26 am Link

Model

Isadora Whitewing

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks guys,  that information was great!
Any more takers on the subject beforethis thread dies for good?
Any info would be graciously appreciated.

Feb 16 06 07:17 am Link