Forums > General Industry > Models choosing to do Artistic Work

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

Hello All,
  I am new here but not new to the business. But I am at the pint now where my biggest intrest is working on editorial/artistic images. I guess the question that I wonder about is how do models feel about this type of work. It might not be useful to them for their book at this moment, but it might be a great time investment into something that will gain some apprication with time. Is the 'what's hot now' the mian motivation? Or do models who are creative seek out such opportunities? All comments are welcome.
-Marek

Feb 12 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

hmmm I may sound stupid, but do you have any examples of the style that you are speaking of?

Feb 12 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

Megan Spring

Los Alamitos, California, US

I, personally, am more interested in doing creative, artistic things than anything else. I've never been a too concerned with  trends or "what's hot now" and I know I'm not the next Gisele so it's not especially important to me what would make me the most popular or successful. Althought I'm certainly not opposed to either of those things.

I've seen plenty of beautiful, artistic, creative, interesting, etc work on this site, so you're definitely not the only one.

Feb 12 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Welcome home Marek. 

Do you mean nudes?  Around here people get hung up on words.  I, for example, hate "artistic" and believe it's a poor excuse for "art."

If what you mean is "nude modeling for photographs of editorial (fashion) style," then ... well, someone will want definitions of each of those words too, but it's closer.

I'll have to drop by to see you when I get out to visit the grandkid this summer (or get to Boeing).  Been too long.

-Don

Feb 12 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
hmmm I may sound stupid, but do you have any examples of the style that you are speaking of?

Something you would not find benifical to your portfolio per say. However the image might have artisrtic qualities that belong let say in a gallery. Does this help?

-Marek

Feb 12 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Welcome home Marek. 

Do you mean nudes?  Around here people get hung up on words.  I, for example, hate "artistic" and believe it's a poor excuse for "art."

If what you mean is "nude modeling for photographs of editorial (fashion) style," then ... well, someone will want definitions of each of those words too, but it's closer.

I'll have to drop by to see you when I get out to visit the grandkid this summer (or get to Boeing).  Been too long.

-Don

Thank you Don. Yes I do mean nudes. I'm so glad to get back to shooting again. Love your post on imagination and creativty at shoots!

Feb 12 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

I know what you mean with the "artisitc" word but it is a commonly accepted term. For me, artisitc implies "for the sake of art" as opposed to photo shooting commercial venues. One has to have pssion for it as well since the market for such work is much smaller than commercial work.

Feb 14 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think art leads fashion.  As a model, I am very interested in participating in unusual gallery quality work.  It might not always be the best thing for commercial portfolios, but every shoot I go on, I like to learn something new.

Feb 14 06 07:53 pm Link