Forums > General Industry > Success and Short Models

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Yeah, I know...there is already a "hot" short model thread going on, but since it seems many "short" models are jumping on there to defend their stature or to ask if they are "too" short, I thought I'd start up a new thread to try to "educate" models new to the business.

As this is a lengthy post, I will provide a "short" answer for short models wondering if they can succeed as a model.

The short answer is YES.

Now, if they want to know if they can succeed as a mainstream "fashion" model, the answer is most likely: NO

The key to success is not in being short or being tall, but in knowing where YOU fit in as a model and how to maximize your earnings within that niche.

--- End of Post ---

You do not need to read further if that is all you care to know.  However, if you'd like a detailed explaination, read on...

1. Height is NOT an issue with becoming a successful model.  There are many types of modeling where height is NOT an issue!  Some models succeed as parts models, glamour, lingerie, artistic, editorial, stock, etc., and height is seldom an issue when shooting such items.

2. Height IS an issue if you want to become a "mainstream" fashion model.  The reason is because the "prototype" stuff you see the models wear during the shows or in the catalogs are often made at a "standard" size.  The models you see wearing those clothes on the runways and in catalogs, etc., are really there as mannequins to show off the latest styles...or to drum up interest for the items that will be selling in the store.  They are, basically "coat hangers" as someone else has said. (This is why some of those models may not even look "that good" as some of you keep pointing out.)  They were hired for their size...not their "looks" in that case.

I will repeat, as many ("models" and "photographers") don't seem to get this:

The clothes you see on the runway...and often those in catalogs.  Those are not "real" clothes!  They are prototypes (samples) designed to showcase the latest styles and to show what will be available to the masses very soon.  They are made at a specific size so that no matter where they are shipped (for the shows or to be photographed), standard "fashion" models can wear them.

Some of you short models keep saying..."But I look prettier/better than the models on the runway...why don't they use short models."

Imagine that I am a shoe designer.  I make a shoe that is size 7 (I don't know what the "standard" prototype shoe size is...I just made this number up off the top of my head).  If your feet are too large or too small, you will not be able to wear my shoes...at least not in such a way as to showcase the shoes and make them look nice.

I don't just plan on making shoes in only size 7.  But the first one (i.e., the prototype) is made in size 7.  I just want the world to see what I have come up with and to see what kind of demand there will be for the product before I go around mass producing the shoes in all sizes.

Can you imagine Cinderella's step sisters modeling her glass slippers?  One had a foot that was too small...and the other had a foot that was too large.

The same applies to clothing.  The stuff you see "fashion" models wear is not the real stuff but protypes made to a specific size.  The models who are selected to display them are selected because they are a "standard" size and the clothes, shoes, etc., in question WILL FIT THEM...regardless of who the model is.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Yes, short models CAN look good in fashion...if the clothing is cut in scale to fit a short model.  And yes, they make clothes that are cut in scale to fit short models...but the KEY is that you are most likely buying stuff off the shelf long AFTER it has been shown as a protype in a fashion show or catalog.

Yes, it is possible to photograph short models and make them appear tall.

However, just because a 5'4" model can appear tall does not mean she can wear stuff that is cut for someone who is  5"11" and make it look good.  Remember, the stuff you see on the runway...and in most catalogs...those were "protypes" made a specific size for a "standard" fashion/catalog model.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who are new and keep wondering why agencies/photographers/whoever tell models who are under 5'9" that they are "too short."

What they are refering to is for FASHION/catalog modeling (which outside of the internet is "mainstream" modeling).  There are agencies out there that specialize in petite, ethnic, glamour and other types of models.

I hope this clarifies the issue for those who may not know.

Regards,

Denoy

P.S.

Personally, I could care less about the height of models for the kind of work that I do (i.e., bikini/glamour).  What is more important to me is a nice face and a propotionate figure.  For glamour work...a more "rounded" figure and sexy face is more desirable than height.

I love working with short models.  I love working with tall models.  I love working with ALL models.

BUT, if a "short" model comes to me and says she wants to be a "fashion" model...I betcha already know what I would tell her...

"You look great but unfortunately, you may be a little too short for that.  However, feel free to ask the agencies."

Feb 13 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Devana

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think most of us get why height matters in high fashion, but it was the rudeness and impatience that caused things to go overboard in that thread. I always thought that if you've read it before and you don't wanna read it again, IGNORE it plain and simple.

Feb 13 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
There are agencies out there that specialize in petite...

Name them.

Quite a long post to confirm how people run on with little perspective (pun intended) of the industry as a whole.

Nothing in your post referred to the largest segment of modeling that contributes to the claim of being a "successful" model.  The fashion aspect you emphasize is not it.  Fashion just happens to be what most equate to making it to the top. 

For example, for every "fashion oriented" magazine there are ten that aren't and all of them are using models.  There are thousands of companies required to create annual reports.  View some and see how many models are used.  You'll find many.  There are "industry select" magazines for everything under the sun.  They are filled with models.

The truth is this. For each of the examples above, models are chosen based on being qualified to pay the bills.  There is little room (again, pun intended) for those that give presentation on anything less than what is expected from the height dynamic.  The hiring parties will take a pass on working with those with less than stellar credibility, thus the stringent requirement.  The 'net has no such requirement, but it also has no limitation on entry and so it isn't needed. 

It is unfair to give the impression and false hope that "you too can be a successful model" to those not remotely considered at the successful model fraternity.  The statements should come with a very tall caveat, that the possibilities extend to getting the most out of what is merely a going through the motions activity.  And maybe, by some very limited distinct chance...

Many can play basketball.  Very few can make it to even the semi-pro level.  Mainly due to size, but there are rare exceptions for those shorter in stature.  It is a tall game.  So is modeling.  Your statements were merely speaking to those rare exceptions to those on the Internet playing the modeling version of the ultimate pick-up game with a remote chance of being accepted beyond due to size limitation.

That's the way it is.  No amount of cheerleading is gonna change that.

Feb 13 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Devana

Brooklyn, New York, US

What about fitness modeling and catalogue modeling? I don't know much about those areas. Like Shape or J. Crew. The women in Shape and Self seem pretty well proportioned and toned but not bulky. Are there height requirements there as well?

Feb 13 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

area291 wrote:
Name them.

Hi Area291,

Thank-you for offering your perspectives, but I beg to differ.  Once again, you seem to associate modeling success with fitting the standards for a mainstream agency representation.

As far as finding reputable petite agencies, or any of the others, a simple search via google for "petite modeling agency" produced this:

http://www.perfectlypetite.com/perfectl … /home.html

and there are more...

Being "short" certainly limits a model's abilities to appear in "mainstream" fashion/catalog/runway work, but it certainly doesn't limit them from success.

Does that mean ALL short models can be successful?  Certainly not.

Are all TALL models successful?  Certainly not.

I am sure this figure is outdated, but from what I "learned" via a show on TV a few years back about "real modeling," the average model (and we're talking models who appear in print, on tv and whatnot) earns between $2,000 - $5,000 a year from modeling.

This is why so many models work in other fields when they aren't modeling.  Would those people be considered successes?

area291 wrote:
No amount of cheerleading is gonna change that.

No one is cheerleading the "models" on here (at least in my posting).  If anything, I am making them aware that to pursue "fashion" and mainstream commercial work is a waste of time if they do not meet the minimum of even having a chance to enter that field of modeling.

If anything, I have pointed out that models should realize their "niche" and try to capitalize on it.

And yes...for some of them, their niche IS "Internet Modeling" and some "Internet" Models earn well over the $2,000 - $5,000 figure posted above.  Would THEY be considered a success?

Regards,

Denoy

Feb 13 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

area291 wrote:
Name them.

Quite a long post to confirm how people run on with little perspective (pun intended) of the industry as a whole.

Nothing in your post referred to the largest segment of modeling that contributes to the claim of being a "successful" model.  The fashion aspect you emphasize is not it.  Fashion just happens to be what most equate to making it to the top. 

For example, for every "fashion oriented" magazine there are ten that aren't and all of them are using models.  There are thousands of companies required to create annual reports.  View some and see how many models are used.  You'll find many.  There are "industry select" magazines for everything under the sun.  They are filled with models.

The truth is this. For each of the examples above, models are chosen based on being qualified to pay the bills.  There is little room (again, pun intended) for those that give presentation on anything less than what is expected from the height dynamic.  The hiring parties will take a pass on working with those with less than stellar credibility, thus the stringent requirement.  The 'net has no such requirement, but it also has no limitation on entry and so it isn't needed. 

It is unfair to give the impression and false hope that "you too can be a successful model" to those not remotely considered at the successful model fraternity.  The statements should come with a very tall caveat, that the possibilities extend to getting the most out of what is merely a going through the motions activity.  And maybe, by some very limited distinct chance...

Many can play basketball.  Very few can make it to even the semi-pro level.  Mainly due to size, but there are rare exceptions for those shorter in stature.  It is a tall game.  So is modeling.  Your statements were merely speaking to those rare exceptions to those on the Internet playing the modeling version of the ultimate pick-up game with a remote chance of being accepted beyond due to size limitation.

That's the way it is.  No amount of cheerleading is gonna change that.

While I don't completely agree with everything Denoy says here, he is much more right than wrong.

https://www.r-lmodels.com/Women/JamieAderski.jpg

She's been working in NY, successfully (by most standards) for years. 5'4"

https://www.r-lmodels.com/Women/SaraHaley.jpg

The tear sheets on her comp speak volumes. 5'2"

https://www.flauntmodels.com/cards/theresa%20coombe.jpg

More tear sheets. 5'5"

And here is a whole division of petites, although Flaunt uses 5'2 to 5'8" as petite;

http://www.flauntmodels.com/petitemodels.htm

There are lots of other examples, but this should be enough to satisfy. Check the NY and L.A. and Miami and Atlanta and Chicago agencies for yourself if you still doubt. These are from two of the most respected commercial print agencies in NYC. All the commercial and some of the fashion agencies have girls under 5'9".

This is not to say that shorter is better. It's not. It's much more difficult for shorter girls to get repped. There are more of them, so the standard for looks, talent, and attitude is higher. There has to be some really compelling reason for an agency to take a girl under 5'6" while a 5'7" girl will have it easier finding representation.

Feb 14 06 02:13 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Being short rocks!!!

There is a whole wide world for short people!!

Feb 14 06 03:27 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I am one of the shortest models round' these parts.....I kick ass...PSSHNNA who needs runway?

Feb 14 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It all depends on what you consider "success" to be...

For me, at 5'2" in a niche market (alternative fashion), my idea of success is simply this:

* doing website work for famous (at least in our scene) latex and clothing designers
* getting tears in some of the alternative fashion magazines (Gothic Beauty, Skin Two, etc)
* occasional runway for local designers

Does any of it pay?  No, not usually.

I could probably find paying work if I did more lingerie/glamour, or ventured into more "adult" stuff, but I don't have any interest in any of that.  My day job pays the bills adequately enough.

I feel "successful" within my niche.  That's enough for me.  (Shrug.)

At least I'm being realistic.

Feb 14 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

cjmiles

Burbank, California, US

im short! but thats what it makes me cute right?! cz if im tall im no longer cute! get my point hope so!

Feb 14 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

The short models get a look at success because it passes them on its way up to the stars. Some even hitch a ride and go with it to the top.

Feb 14 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Hoot wrote:
While I don't completely agree with everything Denoy says here, he is much more right than wrong.

https://www.r-lmodels.com/Women/JamieAderski.jpg

She's been working in NY, successfully (by most standards) for years. 5'4"

https://www.r-lmodels.com/Women/SaraHaley.jpg

The tear sheets on her comp speak volumes. 5'2"

https://www.flauntmodels.com/cards/theresa%20coombe.jpg

More tear sheets. 5'5"

And here is a whole division of petites, although Flaunt uses 5'2 to 5'8" as petite;

http://www.flauntmodels.com/petitemodels.htm

There are lots of other examples, but this should be enough to satisfy. Check the NY and L.A. and Miami and Atlanta and Chicago agencies for yourself if you still doubt. These are from two of the most respected commercial print agencies in NYC. All the commercial and some of the fashion agencies have girls under 5'9".

This is not to say that shorter is better. It's not. It's much more difficult for shorter girls to get repped. There are more of them, so the standard for looks, talent, and attitude is higher. There has to be some really compelling reason for an agency to take a girl under 5'6" while a 5'7" girl will have it easier finding representation.

does a little happy dance

♥

Feb 14 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Angel Tara wrote:

does a little happy dance

♥

I saw that Jaime girl at the Sunglass Hut casting I went to today!  LOL smile  Or someone just like her!  Who knows there were 300 ppl at the casting and I was #225!

Feb 14 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

I saw that Jaime girl at the Sunglass Hut casting I went to today!  LOL smile  Or someone just like her!  Who knows there were 300 ppl at the casting and I was #225!

were you like towering over her? I'm really just kidding smile

Feb 14 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

I like short models.  Just don't shoot upwards or else they look like midgets.

Feb 14 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Angel Tara wrote:

were you like towering over her? I'm really just kidding smile

Did you have to pick her up to say hi?  wink

-Dave

Feb 14 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Did you have to pick her up to say hi?  wink

I hear Diana kneeled in front of her and still saw only her forehead... wink

Feb 14 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

afterdarc studios wrote:
don't shoot upwards or else they look like midgets.

I disagree.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/nakedkatie2000/IMG_4789.jpg

Feb 15 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Nemi wrote:

I disagree.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/nakedkatie2000/IMG_4789.jpg

Oohhh, I like that!

Feb 15 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There are exceptions at most agencies, but they are exceptions, they make up 2 to 4 percent of most boards, and I bet they get less work on average than the overall average amount of work the other models get, and not only are the odds long to getting into any major agency, but like Hoot said, the odds for the few short slots are even longer because you're competing against all beautiful girls and the tall girls are only competing against an already select subset, very tall beautiful girls.

Your odds go way up however if you're an angel with the face of an angel like Angel, and have astounding headshots like she does... there's probably a future at many top commercial agencies for a girl like that

Feb 15 06 09:01 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I've found that a lot of the major agencies won't sign you on for modeling if you are shorter...however, if they do like your look, they will offer a contract as an actor/actress. When I lived in Oklahoma, I almos signed on with Linda Layman agency for acting, but found I would be moving out-of-state, and ended up not signing...stupid me. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

Although acting may not be what some people wish to pursue, you could still possibly get some commercial print ads through being signed on as an actor with the agency. Plus, having two skills is always better than one...right?

Feb 15 06 10:11 am Link