Forums > General Industry > Cost/Pricing

Photographer

PhotoMotion

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm Very New in the Photography Field, and Have been on here a short time... But have recently got an Overwelming response to my "Work"... As much as I enjoy Shooting New and Experienced Models, It's also my new Profession.... So with that said, How do I figure cost on a photoshoot?, What should I be charging these Models and How do I charge... Per Hour, Per Shoot, Per Picture?... Please Help:)

Feb 14 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

It's really like any other business. You have a labor component (your time), a material component (Your supplies and media), Capital investment of equipment that does not get better with age (it depreciates with every shoot), marketing and advertising costs, and fixed overhead costs including administrative time. - I like to group marketing and administrative costs together and just call it SG&A (Sales and gross administrative costs). Figure it all out, put it on a spreadsheet, and get to know what your break-even point is. Find out from other photographers in your area as far as what they need to spend to get business coming in the door.  You should be able to establish a ratio for marketing costs vs revenue.  Market rates differ all over the country based on competition and demand for each specific category of photography.  There are a lot of online references to pricing in different markets.  I am sure some of the experts here can post a link or two.  Love your work by the way! - Excellent composition and lighting.

Feb 14 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Photomotion,

Look up other photographers IN YOUR AREA and see what styles/services they offer and their pricing scheme.

Pricing various by region, so asking on here will result in prices that may not apply to you and your situation.

Regards,

Denoy

Feb 14 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

You want to get this book:

Pricing Photography: The Complete Guide to Assignment and Stock Prices (Paperback)
by Michal Heron, David MacTavish

Once you have it,  please follow it. It's what a lot of pros use.

Eugene

also check out this webpage:
http://www.asmp.org/commerce/assignment.php

And one important note: Always get at least a 50% down payment before beginning a job. You have to do that. You need the down payment up-front because you have expenses before the actual shooting starts.

Feb 14 06 09:55 pm Link