Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

How many photographers here have dealt with random anonymous hate messages? I just got a Yahoo IM stating that "I am a loser and I have a horrible reputation, blah, blah, blah.."

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm flattered that someone was jealous enough to take the time to Instant Message me. On the other hand, I wonder if certain models I have worked with are out there spreading lies.

If you have received messages like this, does it bother you?

And why do these cowards always hide behind anonymity?

Feb 14 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I didn't know you could IM without e-mail address shown?
And they hide behind anonymity because they ARE cowards. I think that is really weird. As a model as well as a photographer, I don't give my IM to very many people at all, therefore minimizing the hatemail on that end.

I have gotten a few as a moderator, but they are generally incoherent and basically pretty funny for us mods to share with each other after we have dinked the member who threatened us.

Feb 14 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I have not personally received any hate mail...but quite a few people I know have and some aren't even photographers.

I feel if people are bashing on you for no reason you must be doing something right and they are suffering from envy and jealousy.

Now if you gave them a reason to hate you then thats another story lol

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John Jebbia wrote:
How many photographers here have dealt with random anonymous hate messages? I just got a Yahoo IM stating that "I am a loser and I have a horrible reputation, blah, blah, blah.."

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm flattered that someone was jealous enough to take the time to Instant Message me. On the other hand, I wonder if certain models I have worked with are out there spreading lies.

If you have received messages like this, does it bother you?

It could have been worse.

They could have asked "U got cam?" and then asked what you were wearing.

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Sirensong wrote:

It could have been worse.

They could have asked "U got cam?" and then asked what you were wearing.

I don't know that that is worse per se, but it is definitely disgusting.

Feb 14 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I get hate mail all the time.  Lots of people seem personally threatened by me and what I do.  I get it either through my website, or through deviantART, on which I am active.  In an unmoderated arena, such as email or instant message, you can't take any retributive action.  Your only real choices are either to let it bother you, or not to worry about it.  It used to hurt my feelings, and I shed more than a few tears over it at first, but over time it has stopped bothering me.  I've decided that the consistency of it and the totally incoherent, foaming-at-the-mouth rage that is always present indicate two things:

1.  Behavior like that says a lot more about that person than it does about me; and
2.  I must be doing something right if what I do gets so many people so emotional.

Now it only gets to me when I'm PMSing.  smile

Feb 14 06 05:47 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I wish I got hate mail I agree with shyly  again lol

if you doing something to disturb people your doing something to make them think.

Feb 14 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I got hate mail when I banned someone for harassing models. Anonymous coward.

Feb 14 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ched wrote:
I got hate mail when I banned someone for harassing models. Anonymous coward.

Why didn't you share it with the other mods so we could laugh at them....most hate mail is incoherent in my experience. That makes it a source of amusement....That and untrimmed cuticles wink

Feb 14 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Yep... just posted a 'Haterade Message' last week: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=29398

Feb 14 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

~Krista~ wrote:
Why didn't you share it with the other mods so we could laugh at them....most hate mail is incoherent in my experience. That makes it a source of amusement....That and untrimmed cuticles wink

Just a twit blowing off steam, no harm done.

Feb 14 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I once got an ICQ telling me I'd go to hell if I don't convert.

I told him/her I'd see him/her there then blocked him/her.

Feb 14 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:
I once got an ICQ telling me I'd go to hell if I don't convert.

I told him/her I'd see him/her there then blocked him/her.

Classic!

Feb 14 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

well I guess it's time to update your profile to say something to the effect that you create images that invoke emotional response!

Feb 14 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Pie Bear gets more hate mail than I do.  He's kind of an arrogant prick--but that's because he gets all kinds of hot models.

Feb 14 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Pie Bear gets more hate mail than I do.  He's kind of an arrogant prick--but that's because he gets all kinds of hot models.

An inanimate object gets more hate mail then you do? Maybe I should get dildo bear or something.

Feb 14 06 07:09 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
...but that's because he gets all kinds of hot models.

It's the bowtie.  Bowties are hot.

Feb 14 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmm....All these replies saying getting hate mail means you're doing something right.........Then I want some damnit!!!

Feb 14 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Greetings,

Cowards have this fear of getting their tail beat in the streets…thus they hide behind anonymity….its more of a safety issue really…

Take care,
AJ

Feb 14 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I got one in 1999.  The writer spewed about how my "art" was a joke within the whole West Coast art community.

I replied that it was good to be known in any manner within the whole West Coast art community.  I suspect I know who did it, but don't remember his name.  He's pretty much disappeared now.

-Don

Feb 14 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

John Jebbia wrote:
How many photographers here have dealt with random anonymous hate messages?

Not me.  But then, when it comes to me, what's not to love?

-Dave

Feb 14 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

I got one just a couple of days after first becoming active on this and a couple of other model pages. All it said was "freak". However, after thinking about it a moment, I took it as a "compliment" of sorts, as that's what I've obviously been striving to be most of my life. : ) What irked me the most was that they didn't have the balls to leave their name.

You are so right in your observances! : )

"1.  Behavior like that says a lot more about that person than it does about me; and
2.  I must be doing something right if what I do gets so many people so emotional."

Shyly wrote:
I get hate mail all the time.  Lots of people seem personally threatened by me and what I do.  I get it either through my website, or through deviantART, on which I am active.  In an unmoderated arena, such as email or instant message, you can't take any retributive action.  Your only real choices are either to let it bother you, or not to worry about it.  It used to hurt my feelings, and I shed more than a few tears over it at first, but over time it has stopped bothering me.  I've decided that the consistency of it and the totally incoherent, foaming-at-the-mouth rage that is always present indicate two things:

1.  Behavior like that says a lot more about that person than it does about me; and
2.  I must be doing something right if what I do gets so many people so emotional.

Now it only gets to me when I'm PMSing.  smile

Feb 14 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

It happens every now and then.  Once even got a hate note left at a gallery, specifically referencing the work hanging on the walls, and anonymous of course... the curator was so worried, hesitant to show it to me until I told them basically the same thing several of you have said:  Good.  We provoked an emotional response from someone.  That's what we're here for.

Feb 14 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

hmm, i get nothing but marriage proposals from beautiful seductive models telling me how they can wait to make passionate love to me every day

(well ok, they all live in Russia)

Feb 14 06 08:54 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Select Models wrote:
Yep... just posted a 'Haterade Message' last week: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=29398

Was it lemon-lime or glacier freeze haterade? wink

Feb 14 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

A world of hating... welcome to the industry.

Feb 14 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i have never gotten hate mail before but some on text message me accused me of cheating on her and her and the kids where leaving then i got a text message last month invitinting me to meet at a restaurant then what would happen after dinner this person keep text me many times huny arnt you calling and getting more explsied it was hard to tell my girl friend that i had NO idea who it was (she was just laffing) i finally called them and told them that they had been texting the wrong person well they where quite inbarest lol

Feb 14 06 10:11 pm Link