Forums > General Industry > The New Vanity Fair STINKS!

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

It's terrible!   They have it in a plastic bag to keep the freshness in and apparently to keep the perfume fumes locked inside where they won't present a fire or toxic shock hazard to other shoppers.

I'm going to have to air it out on the back porch for a couple weeks before I'll be able to stand it enough to look at it.

It's been a while since I picked up one of those women's magazines.  Are they all that bad? 

I've been getting Z!NK magazine lately.  It has great pictures, less advertising, and lists all the contibuting photographers in the table of contents.  And, it doesn't ST!NK!

-Dave

Feb 14 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I heard the mag Nirvana smells like teen spirit.

Feb 14 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

area291 wrote:
I heard the mag Nirvana smells like teen spirit.

LOL!   Back when I was that age, teen spirt was the smell of the locker room after a game.

-Dave

Feb 15 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

is this the issue with Scarlett, Kiera and Tom Ford on the cover? maybe the plastic wrap is to keep everyone from unfolding it and schmucking it up with their grubby fingerprints.

Feb 15 06 07:08 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

i got that one and i don't smell anything....

then again, i havnen't opened it. i just got it to decorate my coffee table smile

Feb 15 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

The only fashion magazine I ever get on a semi regular basis is ZINK, but occasionally I'll pick up one of the traditional old ones.  Like when Demi Moore was all painted up in a suit and when Cindy Crawford was pregnant.  I probably have six of the old ones around.

Personally, I think Vogue, Vanity Fair, Cosmo, Harper's, and many of the ones that have been around for decades have turned into crap.  They stink of perfume ads, you practically need a search tool to find the feature pictorials among all the ads, and their covers are the epitome of clutter and tabloid style headlines. 

If you want some inspiration, pick up a copy of ZINK sometime.

See what I mean at zinkmag.com

-Dave

Feb 15 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Harper's smells liker perfume?
you mean Harper's Bazaar, right? not, like, normal Harper's, right?

also, how much is Zink paying you to shill for them here?

Feb 15 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
Harper's smells liker perfume?
you mean Harper's Bazaar, right? not, like, normal Harper's, right?

LOL!  Yeah, I meant Harper's Bazaar.  It never occurred to me that anyone would be confused since I was obviously referring to fashion magazines.

jon mmmayhem wrote:
also, how much is Zink paying you to shill for them here?

That was either a joke or an incredibly ignorant accusation.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking.

Feb 15 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

i guess i read Harper's more than Harper's Bazaar.

and i'm not an incredibly ignorant person, so yeah, i guess it was a joke.

Feb 15 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Zink is great, and my friend katy did a big ass multi page editorial for them recently, however you're missing out if you think that's the only hot fashion or fashion/culture mag out there using great photography, there are too many to list. Go to Borders and look at V, Surface, Flaunt, Dazed & confused, Clear, POP, Fader and a bunch of others I can't think of now.

Feb 15 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Aaron_H wrote:
however you're missing out if you think that's the only hot fashion or fashion/culture mag out there using great photography, there are too many to list.

I didn't mean to imply that it was the only one.  I came across it one day by accident and have seen a number of others while browsing the shelves.  Most of them I flip through and then forget the name, but Zink must have impressed me that day.  I don't really shoot that kind of work or I'd probably be more interested in getting more of them.

It must be a real challenge to start a new magazine like that and have it be successful because of all the competition.  The B&N where I got the Zink only got three copies of it three weeks before I bought one, so it's obviously not a big mover.

A woman photographer I see posting on "Fashion Only Forum" has also had pictures in Zink, so they seem to be open to fresh blood.

-Dave

Feb 15 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
It's been a while since I picked up one of those women's magazines.

I shoot for those "Women's Magazines" and love the smell of them.

Each fragrance reminds me of a certain place in time or person in my life.

Feb 15 06 09:04 am Link