Forums > General Industry > Point and shoot portfolios

Photographer

Fluffytek

I'm not a pro photographer and Ive never shot anyone other than family members. So can someone enlighten me to why so many models have photos that are copyrighted to a photographer but are of such poor photographic quality that I woudnt put them in a scrapbook let alone put my name of them.

Some of them actually look like they were shot in someones front room. Together with OCFlash, washed out highlights and no dark details.

Why would a model show that kind on unflattering image when there must be many togs who have a decent setup and know what they were doing that would to a TFP/CD for them. Wont such bad picture's actually damage their career chances?

Feb 15 06 09:34 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Bangerman wrote:
I'm not a pro photographer and Ive never shot anyone other than family members. So can someone enlighten me to why so many models have photos that are copyrighted to a photographer but are of such poor photographic quality that I woudnt put them in a scrapbook let alone put my name of them.

Some of them actually look like they were shot in someones front room. Together with OCFlash, washed out highlights and no dark details.

Why would a model show that kind on unflattering image when there must be many togs who have a decent setup and know what they were doing that would to a TFP/CD for them. Wont such bad picture's actually damage their career chances?

Some models do not have great photos to start with and they put up what they can get to show other photographers that they are at least trying. That way, at some point, maybe, a better photographer will come along who may work with them and get them better images.

This is the TFP portfolio way.....takes a longer time than just paying for a decent few pics, but this is the internet. So, cut them some slack.

Feb 15 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

Some models do not have great photos to start with and they put up what they can get to show other photographers that they are at least trying. That way, at some point, maybe, a better photographer will come along who may work with them and get them better images.

This is the TFP portfolio way.....takes a longer time than just paying for a decent few pics, but this is the internet. So, cut them some slack.

baaaaaaammm

Feb 15 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

So, cut them some slack.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just asking because I didnt know.

Feb 15 06 09:43 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Bangerman wrote:

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just asking because I didnt know.

I know. But there are numerous similar threads opened. This is a subject that is discussed often. I was just giving you a hard time.

But seriously. Most don't realize the value of actually showing that you are serious, by providing a good starter portfolio. It's like going for a job interview: you look your best, your resume is in order. I would never go into an interview in my pajamas or with my boyfriend next to me.

But I see what you are saying.

Feb 15 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Would a Model and Photographer have a different idea of a good starting portfolio or do you think they view things in the same way?

Feb 15 06 09:49 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Bangerman wrote:

Bangerman, this website is truly a precarious place.  Being new, you will see things that amaze you, many things in fact.  You will see beautiful models, talented photographers and stunning, absolutely stunning photos. 

You will also see, webcam pics, cellphone pics and horribly amateur photos.  Some of these people evolve.  They work on their craft and you will watch them get better over time as they become more practiced and skillful.  i am one of those people.  I get more jobs and do much better work then my first photoshoot.  I get a chuckle out of how timid I look in my first shots!  You will also see "models" that just want their picture here because they want to say "i'm a model", the same for some "photographers".  Those people most likely aren't very interested in pursuing a career in this field.  It's more for the sport of it when they have a spare minute.

Feb 15 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Suzi wrote:
They work on their craft and you will watch them get better over time as they become more practiced and skillful.  i am one of those people.  I get more jobs and do much better work then my first photoshoot.

You have a great folio.

Feb 15 06 09:55 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Bangerman wrote:

You have a great folio.

thank you.  i went to your website.  the photo of the baby is priceless.

Feb 15 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Suzi wrote:
the photo of the baby is priceless.

Thank you, She (Maria) is wonderful.

Feb 15 06 09:59 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

***whistles***

Feb 15 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

shelly1982 wrote:
***whistles***

I love your shot "shadows".

Feb 15 06 10:04 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Bangerman wrote:
Would a Model and Photographer have a different idea of a good starting portfolio or do you think they view things in the same way?

They should view things the same way. But I think in general, new photographers are more inclined to look at the work of their piers to get an idea of what they need, while many beginning models don't spend the time to look at what others are doing.

Feb 15 06 10:26 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

They should view things the same way. But I think in general, new photographers are more inclined to look at the work of their piers to get an idea of what they need, while many beginning models don't spend the time to look at what others are doing.

Piers? As in on the beach piers? Or perhaps....peers, like fellows? I'm confused

(scratches head)

Can't figure out why a model or photographer would look at piers.....as an example of what to achieve.....OH I GET IT. Aaaaaahhhh....you had me there for a minute....

Just kidding, Jay Dezelic. I wanted to have fun this morning. Thank you.

Feb 15 06 10:29 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Bangerman wrote:

I love your shot "shadows".

awww cheers hun...

I feel sometimes that my portfolio is crap but i have the odd few piccies that I am rather proud of. I don't have access to stylists etc.. I am a poor career woman with a rather large interest in far too many shoes so my budget for artistic directors stylists and good photographers goes to "faith shoestore" hahaha

Feb 15 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Bangerman wrote:

A photog and a model want different portfolios

There are two exceptions that come to mind:

- Tearsheets
a tearsheet is a tearsheet, there's not one for the photog and one for the model and others for the stylists...

- A photog who wants to specialize in building model portfolios, then that photog's portfolio will look similar to a model's (only with lots of different models wink

A model's portfolio needs to show the model, the photog's portfolio needs to show great photos...that is the slight difference wink sometimes that means just tighter cropping for the model's book

As far as a model not paying for a book, just as a photographer needs many different models in their book, a model needs many different looks (and usually photographers bc each is unique smile ) in their book, so there is not a "one stop shoot Walmart" for a model's book...And the experience that comes with that. A model can not buy a "real" portfolio. Plus the photos are only good for so long (sometimes that's six weeks), it's not like a photog buying a camera or a MUA buying a kit (those last way longer than six weeks).

You can always find someone who will take your money.

If no one will shoot you for "free" (TFP) with your clothes on, that says something about the model potential

Models should invest their money on their craft - which often means bumping up the work out routine, salon visits, stop playing soccer and gardening so you have pretty nails and no bruises, etc This is a business, you have to make an investment, but many don't realize the continuous investment models make (and no I don't mean buying a portfolio).

Feb 15 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Sara Green wrote:
A photog and a model want different portfolios

There are two exceptions that come to mind:

- Tearsheets
a tearsheet is a tearsheet, there's not one for the photog and one for the model and others for the stylists...

- A photog who wants to specialize in building model portfolios, then that photog's portfolio will look similar to a model's (only with lots of different models wink

A model's portfolio needs to show the model, the photog's portfolio needs to show great photos...that is the slight difference wink sometimes that means just tighter cropping for the model's book

Thanks for the direct and helpful response.

I love the two BW shots you have, especially the second, thats somthing else...

Feb 15 06 10:56 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

TY you for the compliments * blushes * (bc I have no clue how to use all those fancy smileys!)

Feb 15 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I have tried to make this point before but never get any traction.  Maybe I will give up.  I think the photos you want depend on who you are appealing to.  I can imagine an art director looking for a particular "look" who wants to see EXACTLY what she is getting, so she might want a model all made up, shot well, and photoshopped.  At the opposite extreme, imagine you are a makeup artist.  The LAST thing you want to see is a heavily made up, photoshopped face.  You want to know the raw material you are working with.  I think photographers OUGHT to be closer to the second side of that continuum.  Any good photographer should be more interested in the raw material than in what some OTHER photographer and makeup artist and photoshop manipulation have done.  It is a sad state if I can't recognize a model's potential until someone else photographs her.  That would imply that she could be standing in front of me and I would not realize she is beautiful until I see a photograph someone else has taken of her.  For photographers' use, the key thing is INFORMATION, does the photo give enough information to allow the photographer to make an evaluation.  So flat lighting is bad, not because it makes a bad photo but because it obscures information.  Same with poor focus, etc.  But a really bad (from a compostion, etc, perspective) photograph can provide adequate information.  I do a lot of figure work.  So a snapshot of a model in a bathing suit standing next to her boyfriend at the beach squinting into the sun might be an awful photo but provide enough information for me to decide whether I want to photograph her myself.  A breathtaking, compositionally flawless photo of her in an evening gown does not.

Feb 15 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Bangerman wrote:

Just remember every thing is relative.  I’m sure a number of models look at my port and can’t stop laughing.  Most models at this point don’t have a career and are just trying to get their first shoot.

Feb 15 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Any good photographer should be more interested in the raw material than in what some OTHER photographer and makeup artist and photoshop manipulation have done.  It is a sad state if I can't recognize a model's potential until someone else photographs her.

This is so right, it needed repeating.

Feb 15 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Ivan123 wrote:
So a snapshot of a model in a bathing suit standing next to her boyfriend at the beach squinting into the sun might be an awful photo but provide enough information for me to decide whether I want to photograph her myself.  A breathtaking, compositionally flawless photo of her in an evening gown does not.

I agree. The purposes of a model's portfolio and a photographer's portfolio are different.

For a photographer, a couple of bad photos in their portfolio will ruin their credibility, and paint them as a rank amateur. Really good quality photos are critical to a photographer's portfolio, because it is the quality of their photography that they are promoting.

On the other hand, a model is promoting their appearance. Sure, good quality photos would be ideal. But it is less critical. A mediocre photo that clearly shows their face or body or whatever is better than nothing. And in fact may be better than a really fantastic art piece that is so dark you can't see what the model looks like (a photo like that may be great in a photographer's portfolio, but doesn't really help a model).

I also get the feeling that a lot of models don't always know a good photo from a mediocre one. They are primarily concerned with how the photo makes them look. If there is distracting elements in the background, and the composition isn't very good, and the lighting is drab, but the model has a killer smile, then to the model that is a good photo. There have been many occasions when I say the word "composition" to a model, and they look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. Unless they have some education in photography, they may not know how to recognize the more subtle elements of a good photo.

On the other hand, when I see really abysmal webcam shots, or cheap digicam self-portraits shot with a flash in the bathroom mirror, then that just smacks of complete laziness or total lack of vision. I am very forgiving of models with mediocre photos, but I avoid models who can't do better than webcam shots.

Feb 15 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

I'm understanding of poor-quality photos in a new model's portfolio.  After all, how can she have professional photos when she's just starting?  What I do care about is whether the photos adequately show her face and figure, even if they're grainy, poorly lit, etc.  If they do, that's good enough, to start.  If they don't, I won't contact her.  Not that I'm any great photog, but I want to know what the model looks like.

Feb 15 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Bangerman wrote:

Are you referring to yourself? I'm hearing a lot of huffing and puffing from a guy whose images fall right into this category.

Feb 15 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Are you referring to yourself? I'm hearing a lot of huffing and puffing from a guy whose images fall right into this category.

Your a nice guy arn't you.

I have never phtographed a model, offered to show them on my website or build them a portfolio. I shoot for fun and have asked a question. At what point did you think getting personal and insulting would help.

I dont think that I've said that my images are hot, just that some imagas are very bad. They may not be up to your godlike standard but at least I'm not fooling anyone into thinking I'm gods gift to photography.

Feb 15 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Can't figure out why a model or photographer would look at piers.....as an example of what to achieve.....OH I GET IT. Aaaaaahhhh....you had me there for a minute....

I constantly find myself looking at piers...especially after a hurricane comes through...

- Denoy

https://www.deboerphotography.com/modelsamp04.jpg

Feb 15 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Bangerman wrote:
I dont think that I've said that my images are hot, just that some imagas are very bad. They may not be up to your godlike standard but at least I'm not fooling anyone into thinking I'm gods gift to photography.

The "models" in question...most of them don't think their pictures are "hot."  Naw...they think THEY are "HOT."  At least, "HOT" enough to start charging to be photographed even when they don't have any "professional" pictures.

And believe it or not...some of them actually, DO get paid requests...

Regards,

Denoy

P.S.

A photographer, on the other hand, who has "not so hot" images in their portfolio will seldom (if ever?) get paid to photograph someone.  They may even find it hard to get models to work with them for free.  They may even end up hiring those "HOT" models with crappy pics. smile

Feb 15 06 02:03 pm Link