Forums > General Industry > Deposits for shoots....Insult or not?

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Does anyone think that it is rude to ask for a deposit for a paid shoot? Recently this question has come to surface amongst some associates of mine. I think it is a good idea, especially if you have been stood up or cancelled on by a llama, etc... hours before the shoot...

Feb 15 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:
Does anyone think that it is rude to ask for a deposit for a shoot? Recently this question has come to surface amongst some associates of mine. I think it is a good idea, especially if you have been stood up or cancelled on by a model, etc... hours before the shoot...

I'm all for it as long as it's a paid shoot.

Feb 15 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I insist on it from web-persons.
Agency referals though... no, they show up.

Even if it is a token amount.... if they pay it, they will come.

Feb 15 06 07:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

For TFP or Paid shoot?

Paid  Shoot, definaltly-
TFP might be difficult since alot of photographers dont meet the model till the day of the shoot

Feb 15 06 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

double post

Feb 15 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Basic Business 101.

Feb 15 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Does anyone think that it is rude to ask for a deposit for a paid shoot? Recently this question has come to surface amongst some associates of mine. I think it is a good idea, especially if you have been stood up or cancelled on by a model, etc... hours before the shoot...

I think that to anyone who doesn't flake the answer is no. (at least it is for me) If I'm going to deposit money, and show up for the shoot. Not only would I have gotten my money back, but I would have proven to the photographer that they can trust me smile

Feb 15 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

S T A G E 4 D E T

Detroit, Alabama, US

And may I add my wisdom to this,, I agree totally, as a person who does the shooting for a living ,I demand it from clients I give them an invoice showing the entire job written out with the total billing with the deposit,if they don,t show
up on the appointed day date and time they lose that deposit,and now with digital
the entire balance is due on the day I shoot the job.the client will leave the studio
with the final images before we close,It has worked for me for years even with film,It also helps to be an honest person to start with and when you build up that trust ,people who are serious will not mind doing business and they will pay for your services if they want what you have.I feel that   if you establish the rules at the beginning that eliminates a lot of the problems,tfp or tfcd will not bail you out of financial trouble when the bills are due, so whether you are a shooter,make/up artist,stylist etc... as long as you are good at what you do and
are respected you can still be nice and make a decent wage.V.T stage4fotografik

Feb 15 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

Does anyone think that it is rude to ask for a deposit for a paid shoot? Recently this question has come to surface amongst some associates of mine. I think it is a good idea, especially if you have been stood up or cancelled on by a model, etc... hours before the shoot...

It depends - are they booking you or are you booking them?

To some extent you can set your own rules in this "biz", so depending on the answer you can expect a deposit upfront to reserve the date & time, OR you can expect the booker to go onto the next person who wanted the job and didn't demand a deposit wink

Feb 15 06 08:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

If the model is paying you and it's for her book YES YES YES....you would be crazy to get in your car with all your crapola without money in the bank.....I have only had a no show ONCE in my life after getting a deposit before the shoot  and she was in a real car accident....I refunded her deposit.

Models won't back out if they have at least $100.00 to lose. If they don't have money to lose they will back out for any small reason...a bad hair day, I feel bloated day, whatever.

If photographers would get deposits they would shoot a lot more and make a lot more money....you get the deposit when the model is excited and feeling good because the day of the shoot nerves sometimes take over and then you have a no show, no shoot, no money.

Feb 15 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

it shouldnt be a problem to someone who is serious about showing up, when i rent my studio, i ask for a non-refundable deposit

Feb 15 06 10:30 pm Link